Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are city the new chelsea

• 02-08-2007 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

Following svens triple swoop this morning , they now have 2 Brazilian internationals , and are after a current Italian international defender, are city the new Chelsea , or the Chelsea of the North .

My poor club Everton , who were always on an equal footing to City , if not bigger, are still in the creaking Goodison, and couldn't afford Dave Nugent , who wanted to come , and mightn't have the money for Baines, who also wants to come.
    How times change .. but i'll remain a bluenose;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's an interesting comparison.
    Ambrovomich bought Chelsea (aside from a plaything) to gain international recognition and legitimacy. It was to an extent a political move to help secure his future against a possibly hostile Putin.
    Shinawatra bought Man City for mostly political reasons. After being forced out of government by the military, he knows that within 5-10 the military will have to call elections. That period is normally too long for an ex-leader to remain in the spotlight enough to maintain his vote. However Thailand has one of the largest premiership viewings per capitia. His purchase of Man City keep him in the spotlight.
    That said, his financial resources are not anywhere near the levels of Ambrovomich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I City think are just next in line. Chelsea started the real mega bucks soccer revolution (continuing on from Utd, blackburn,newcastle all be it too a lesser extend ), I think this is the future of football and yes it is a bad thing. But if you want to survive this is the road all clubs will have to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Well done Sven. Prove everyone wrong please. Elano in the EPL-Trés Bonne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

to be honest i am really looking forward to seeing Sven and what he has to offer in club football again.
    i think the media (particulary British/English) really went to town on him. the more they did the stranger his decisions got.

let's see what he has in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Issakson
    Richards - Dunne - Chiellni??? - Garrido
    Geovanni - Gelson - Elano -- Petrov
    Bianchi---Bojinov???

Who do people reckon Sven will buy next? Maybe another CM?

• Advertisement

He really is transforming the team. I expect them to do very well, he has shown to be a very very good club manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

what price are they for europe (spot) and champions league. Any value hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

They need a central midfielder, and it could be anyone. Bojinov would be very good with Bianchi. Gelson I doubt will go straight into the first team, but who knows. I think 5th for City.

Nah, they are still nowhere near as good as Spurs. I think City are a great shout for 7th behind Spurs and Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Who is Ambrovomich PHB? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

SofaKing wrote:

Issakson
    Richards - Dunne - Chiellni??? - Garrido
    Geovanni - Gelson - Elano -- Petrov
    Bianchi---Bojinov???

Who do people reckon Sven will buy next? Maybe another CM?

I think Dunne and Richards have got to go, their names are nowhere near "Foreign" enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

How about Dunne-ga and Richard-o

Would that help them keep their spot ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

How about Dunne-ga and Richard-o

Would that help them keep their spot ?

I reckon so :D

Fratton Fredovitz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

PHB wrote:
    That said, his financial resources are not anywhere near the levels of Ambrovomich.

He's still an extremely wealthy individual though. I'm not sure what the case will be now that Thailand is attempting to freeze his assets, but the Shinawatra family made around $2bn from the sale of Shin Corp (what eventually led to his ousting from power) and I think he has a personal fortune somewhere around that figure.

Could be some big names yet to come at City. Might actually start to fill that nice stadium of theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I just think it's great that Richie Dunne from Tallaght will captain this team of internationals. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

thebaz wrote:
    Following svens triple swoop this morning , they now have 2 Brazilian internationals , and are after a current Italian international defender, are city the new Chelsea , or the Chelsea of the North .

First it was Wigan in 2005, then Gretna in 2006 and now City for 2007?
    That nickname is getting tiresome

Sven is an excellent manager and they're in for a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They'll be hitting £30 million soon but when you consider that Tevez is reportedly costing that on his own it's not that much. He has to rebuild the whole squad and he's not messing around.
    Two of their best players in Distin and Barton left so he has to bring in a lot.

I think they'll do well but it might take a few months to get going and some of the players could flop big style. (Shades of Maccarone off Bianchi)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

micmclo wrote:
    First it was Wigan in 2005, then Gretna in 2006 and now City for 2007?
    That nickname is getting tiresome

Sven is an excellent manager and they're in for a good season.

Wigan , and Gretna ??

does it get more unexotic than wigan , paul jewell, jimmy bullard, kevin kilbane.

i remember blackburn under jack walker building something from scratch.
    For whats its worth , i think city will do well this year , slightly jealous, still waiting for our Planet Hollywood investor, to actually open his wallet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's true Wigan and Gretna are far from exotic. They got the nickname as they had rich owners and started getting promotions and success.

Just pointing that City are not the first time to be called Chelsea of the North

And it'll be someone different next season too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

micmclo wrote:
    And it'll be someone different next season too

with a bit of luck Everton !!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thebaz wrote:
    with a bit of luck Everton !!:)

Lets not get carried away ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nice to see City getting in the headlines for the right reasons after the whole 'Barton' fiasco. I'm delighted with out signings (now up to 8) and Sven has done very, albeit with a sh*tload of money.

I'm aiming for Europe then maybe one of the cups. It's about we had more aspirations than just avoiding relegation. Can't wait to watch Bianchi, Bojinov and Elano in particular.

Advertisement