Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you learn to play a game?

Options
  • 02-08-2007 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I just realised that I rarely read a game manual before lunging in, and will only resort to it if I can't quite figure out how to do something special to the game. Most games these days have tutorials anyway, so the manual is mostly extraneouos.

How do you learn how to play a game? 50 votes

I read the manual
    0% 0 votes
    I play the tutorial
    12% 6 votes
    I'm gifted, games-wise
    22% 11 votes
    Trial and error, mostly
    32% 16 votes
    Other
    34% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

i think its a case of trial and error. like switching off the tutorial and just hammering away! i dont think ive ever read a manual for a game....oh wait it would have to be FFIII on the DS. yeah had to read that! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

corblimey wrote:
    I just realised that I rarely read a game manual before lunging in, and will only resort to it if I can't quite figure out how to do something special to the game. Most games these days have tutorials anyway, so the manual is mostly extraneouos.

ditto

never read the manual unless I come across something that makes me go WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

Wicknight wrote:
    ditto

never read the manual unless I come across something that makes me go WTF

yup same here i just take the game out of the box and play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I usually read the manual but i'm a bit of a manual pervert anyway. I read the manual of almost every item I buy, washing machines, freezers etc!

I guess I don't want to miss out on any feature of a game or end up playing a game blindly missing out on important things because I didn't read the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

only read the manual if i'm going home on public transport.

otherwise - i mainly play fps - it's fairly easy to start up the game. also may have to look at the manual for cd key.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've played so many games now that it just comes naturally and the tutorials usually are very helpful so the manual isn't needed. The manual usually gets a read before bed time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Never look at the Manual unless it's for things like il2 and Silent Hunter 3 where they add details on the different Ships and aircraft.

But I remember getting X3 and being completely confused...reading the manual and even more confused. then bringing it back to the shops and feelin so much happier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I voted trial and error, but it depends on the game. I know with RTS's i'll consult some form of manual to figure out what all the plethora of controls do.

But for fps, once you've played one, you've played them all, the control system is pretty much the same for all of them, so I usually just jump right in.

Most games will prompt you with the relevant key the first time you need to do something anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The last time I read a manual for a game was Pikmin on GC. Like WTF! I didn't have a clue how to control it a first.

I usually skip tutorials and just pick it up as I go along but that game required you to pay attention to the tutorial/RTFM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Always as it makes great toilet reading material ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I'll read the manual for something to do on the bus / train ride home. but if I was gifted a game I would tear it open and just start as the controls for games are more-or-less the same

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Bollox wrote:
    I'll read the manual for something to do on the bus / train ride home. but if I was gifted a game I would tear it open and just start as the controls for games are more-or-less the same

Same here.
    Usually the game will tell you how to play, and in most cases Ive played enough games of the sort before to catch on pretty quickly. I will read through manuals first in most cases, but only for a brief overview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I read the manual... for fear of having a "oh wait.... all I had to do for those bits that took me 20 minutes, was press the circle button while holding down the shoulder button!" moment.

It's also all part of savouring the anticipation. The Gran Turismo manual tested my patience though... and I can only begin to imagine how long the manual for flight simulation 'games' must be.

*shudder*

If I suspected beforehand that there was a tutorial section I'd possibly just learn the ropes that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I usually check out the options screen before starting the game proper, I guess that harks back to the years spent tinkering with the display options on pc games... I'd usually glance at the controls while I'm there and have a fair idea about what everything does.
    Resident Evil 4 for the Wii is the first game in years that has made me actually open the manual, and I felt like a total eejit for having to do so...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I always read the manual, every game I get I read it. Usually when the game is installing/loading. Then I'll do the tutioral, by then I'm ready to kick ass haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

one game you needed to read the manual to was falcon 4, but then again you practically had to attend flight school before you could play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

As a few have said, I will read the manual if sitting on a bus or something on my way home, but generally i won't bother... Then i'll try and figure stuff out until i see the comp. do something amazing or something, then i'll dip in and figure that out...

But in general, it's just a case of learning on your feet, trial & error and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Hadn't read a manual for anything in years (apart from GTA:SA, but that was just eye candy), but started playing System Shock 2 recently and had to go through most of the manual.

Oh, and Rome:TW, when I get into int properly .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I voted for "Other" - it kinda depends on the platform and on the game. If its for the PC, I'll read through the manual on the bus home and when the game is installing, which invariably takes ages, before having a look at the tutorials (if the game warrants them). For my 360 I'll generally just load it up and check the in-game options menu for the control scheme, and go from them. Manuals for console games don't exactly have a lot of content anyway.

Advertisement