Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving of Household goods and Furniture to Germany

Options
  • 02-08-2007 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need to move a sofa and about 10 removal boxes to Munich in Germany. I tried mand of the main removal companies and some "dont do Germany" this year.

Some others gave quotes of about 1500, which of course they need that to justify the business.

I just want to see if anyone is doing a reverse move someway or would have a van empty on the way to germany to pick up stuff and would be interested in doing this for fee.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You might get a better response on Toytown. Alot of Irish down there and a good few are on the forum. They might know someone moving stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'd do it, but just look at the cost before I get a wage.

Ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourge return is about 500 euro, then it's about 2,000 miles worth of diesel, which is about 400 euro again and it will be about 40 hours of driving in total, which would need to be spread over 4 days to avoid me killing myself by falling asleep at the wheel so you can understand it's going to cost you quite a bit. Out of the 1,500 quoted by others, that leaves about 600 for accommodation plus of course general wear and tear on the van to take into consideration and then my wage.

For such an amount of work, that's not a lot and wouldn't really be worth it for a 1 man set up (what I have). It's VERY tough to do them kind of hours driving.

Unless you could find somebody else who wanted a drop off on the way (in france etc) because a sofa and a few boxes wont take up much room at all, or a collection on the way back.

There is also the prospect of me using it as an excuse the go on a little holiday, so if there is no rush, I could take my time and go on a little roadtrip with a few friends;)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

In fairness, I would not see or anyone being able to do it for much less, taking into account expenses, time, wear and tear and a few pound on top. I have done it twice already by car, but no longer have the time anymore.

My notice to see if there was a van/truck/camper whatever going out that way and wanted to defray some of their costs.

Thanks for the toytown link... I can spread the net a bit further there too, to take in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I only stumbled upon this thread now so I'm not sure if it's still relevant, but I'm moving to Germany at the end of the month and I would be on the way to Munich!

I've also looked at removals companies and so far I've had even less luck, couldn't get a single quote off them.

I'm moving to Trier and could pack up a few boxes, if you're both still interested please let me know. Trier would be on the way, here's a route by Via Michelin.

1039km Dublin to Trier and then another 509km to Munich.

Netman, are you asking if I'm still interested in doing the job? I'd be on for it alright:) We'll have to wait to hear back from G-Man.

Here is info on my van. It can take a fair bit. Neither of you sound like you have too much so hopefully it will all fit. I'm sure it will.

Where are you based yourself Netman? G-Man is in Ofally. I'm sure the three of us could come to an agreement on a price we all think is fair. Let's just wait to hear back from G-man so. He hasn't logged in since the third of August so hopefully he'll check back soon!

I'd still be up for it if he's not, only then the price can't be spread between 2.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Heya cormie, yeah I was checking if you're still interested in doing the job, and if G-Man is still looking for someone to split the cost with :)

I'm based in Skerries, and you're right, I don't have much to move. I'm coming back after a year, so all the bigger items such as furniture are actually cheaper to buy over there than to move twice.

If the price was right I would be interested in moving a couple of boxes of stuff that I otherwise couldn't take with me on the plane because of weight.. Things like books, DVDs, my trusty coffee machine etc :)

I managed to get a quote off one company and they're looking for anything between 500 and 700 euro, depending on whether it's sea freight or air freight.

I really don't think my business alone would be enough to justify you driving up to Germany and back.

Hi, biggest item I have is the sofa. Cant measure it at the moment but from the Manu. website its H is 102cm. W is 200cm and Depth is 200cm.

My stuff is in Dublin.

It should fit, after that theres the boxes...I PM more details.. when I get the list.

If You wish to earn a bit on the way back, I suggest You travel via UK, or at least offer the fact. THere is a big english speaking community here sometimes looking for stuff to go back to UK. You might get a few takers aswell that way.

Kevin

Hey, cool, you're still around:) Ok, so the best you've been offered is 1,500 G-Man, and then 500 for netman, so that's 2K altogether. With 900/1000 expenses which leaves 1,000.

It's quite hard to figure out how long it'll take to get there though and netman, have you any idea on the cost of getting from UK to france? Even though I actually live in Dun Laoghaire, I think it might be better to just go Rosslare to Cherbourge, then from there to Trier and to Munich after, that way it's only 1 ferry crossing (which seems to add a big chunk to the price so I'm guessing it would be somewhat similar from UK to France?).

By the sounds of it, we could still fit a lot in, so if we could find anyone else it would be great as neither of you would really be saving any money by going with me with just the two of you, you'd just be paying what you would with the other crowds so far. I've added the trip to my stand by route page.
    That's about as much as I can do, unless you guys know anyone else heading over?

So how does that sound to you both? G-man, you've done the trip twice before you said, what route did you take and how long does it actually take?

Would you both be willing to go with it for that price or would you only go if we could find a third person? See if we find another person like G-Man, who's only other option is to spend 1,500, then that could add some savings and extra incentive for the 4 of us.

Hi,
    Cormie, good on You with the offer and of course I know You will hard earn Your money with the trip, but as You say, until we get a few more interested its not convincing for us...........hmmmm.....Just got a quote back today from German Moving Company for good bit less.... . I know You'd love the trip but money is tight on my move and even still just thinking about it if I will go for it even at the lower price...(stuff probably has to come back again in 2 years) Thanks for the offer, but unless someone has something v valuable to transport, if I go at all, it will probably be with the new offer from germany.

Thanks for the work You put into this, but maybe it does not work this time....however here is a bit of experience about my driving route to Munich.

I think it was almost exactly 1000 miles Dulin to Munich the last time I did it ( 420 miles Holyhead to FolkStone.. And the rest from Calais to Munich was in kilometres.

I liked the UK route as i) its almost a direct line, so mile wise it should be relatively shorter.. its M-way all the way from Holyhead to Munich... Except for a short passage around Strasbourg to Baden-Baden. You also catch big relatively unused (Like ours sunday morning) Autoroutes in northern france (away from Paris)

Aswell as the 2.5 tanks of fuel each way, there was also about 48 EUR tolls in France. The tolls can be avoided by going via Belguim but the traffic is heavier and the A-bahns in Mid/Northern Germany are very stressful, From Baden-Baden south its right foot down.

Another good thing about the UK route is that there is a Chunnel Train about every 20 mins I think, so You are not rushing to catch the only sailing of the day nor do You lose time arriving hours early. Irish ferries to dublin is about every 3 hours or so. Therefore You are alwways driving and resting when You want. Last benefit of the Channel Tunnel is that the Landbridge fare booked with IRish Ferries is super-apex on Channel tunnel, so You can turn up and go, jump the queues and not be hanging on for the exact sailing

Advertisement