Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom says more exchanges upgraded

Options
  • 02-08-2007 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭

Eircom says more exchanges upgraded
    Thursday, 2 August 2007 13:19
    Eircom says it has enabled a further 19 exchanges across the country to receive broadband. It says this will result in an additional 12,000 customers now qualifying for broadband.

Eircom has committed to making another 400 exchanges available for broadband within the next two years.

Eircom CEO Rex Comb said the latest EU figures showed Ireland was closing the gap and catching up with the EU average for broadband take-up. He said another 100 exchanges would be enabled before the end of the year.
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0802/eircom.html

Edit:
    Additional info from Eircom Wholesale:
    eircom Broadband Update - July 2007
    1.2M lines connected to broadband enabled exchanges.
    470 exchanges broadband enabled.
    Total Broadband Lines on eircom Infrastructure 481.300 (463, 066 on DSL).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Any word on which ones have been upgraded? Bout effing time imho.

-Edit found them

The 19 new exchanges are: Annestown in Waterford, Dunlavin in Wicklow, Ballybrittas in Laois, Ballygarvan and Doneraile in Cork, Charlestown and Ballindine in Mayo, Ballymahon in Longford, Freshford and Gracefield in Offaly, Tiermaclane in Clare, Greencastle and Quigley’s Point in Donegal, Nobber in Meath, Dunmore and Turloughmore in Galway, Nutgrove Business Park in Dublin and Newhall Business Park in Kildare.

Bit more indepth coverage here http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single8928

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Any word on which ones have been upgraded? Bout effing time imho.
    Nope. The 19 exchanges are still a mystery.

The 19 new exchanges are: Annestown in Waterford, Dunlavin in Wicklow, Ballybrittas in Laois, Ballygarvan and Doneraile in Cork, Charlestown and Ballindine in Mayo, Ballymahon in Longford, Freshford and Gracefield in Offaly, Tiermaclane in Clare, Greencastle and Quigley’s Point in Donegal, Nobber in Meath, Dunmore and Turloughmore in Galway, Nutgrove Business Park in Dublin and Newhall Business Park in Kildare.

Bit more indepth coverage here http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single8928
    These exchanges were not on either of the lists released for upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

How about they upgrade all the ones they announced they were going to upgrade months ago?

brim4brim wrote:
    How about they upgrade all the ones they announced they were going to upgrade months ago?
    Well in fairness they said they were going to upgrade the infamous 100 exchanges before the end of 2007 so they have plenty of time to do what they said they were going to do. The other list of 350 was definitely going to be upgraded after 2007 and its made clear in the siliconrepublic article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Some more, random exchanges there. The Donegal ones make sense, as eircom apparently have upgraded the exchange links in that entire part of Inishowen. I'd expect the Muff exchange to be done soon.

Nobber in Co. Meath?? A small village, and few houses in the immediate area. Not near any communication hubs either, and all the exchanges beside it that are in the same area code aren't enabled either.

Ballymahon was a big enough town I thought, suprised it was only done now.

And still Colpe Cross (Grange Rath in Drogheda) hasn't been enabled...

Nor the Ardrew exchange in Athy. I remember a news article on RTÉ a couple of years ago which highlighted this exchange and its lack of broadband, despite being fed by brand new fibre.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

And still Colpe Cross (Grange Rath in Drogheda) hasn't been enabled...
    [Rose tinted glasses]Not to worry, we'll be online in September[/Rose tinted glasses]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Turloughmore is on the list of 100 exchanges . None of the list of 330 are done . well over 400 still to do in total and if they are only launching 19 a month from now it will take another 2 years.

Talk to your local wireless operator is the real message.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

We mine (Calverstown) was on the list of ones to be enabled that was published before the election. I rang yesterday and the sales person in Eircom said it was not on the list to be enabled by October and that it "might be this year, but it might be next year" ..Great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Hi Bazman, Of the list of 100 exchanges published by Eircom in Oct 06 only 2 exchanges in Co. Kildare, Nurney and Broadford were do be done in 07 I think. I've been in contact with a few different Eircom people and from what they say Nurney will be done this Nov/Dec. Can you not get a service from QBSL http://www.qbsl.com/ ? Had them down here in Nurney - unfortunately the small question of piece of terra firma called Bull Hill blocking LOS scuppered any chances of me getting a service from them, but I would have thought that Calverstown would be well covered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Anyone know If Ballon in county carlow is on any of those lists ?

sunny2004 wrote:
    Anyone know If Ballon in county carlow is on any of those lists ?
    It's on the first list (100 exchanges) announced around October 2006 to be done before the end of 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

hope they continue upgrading exchanges not on either list of places to be upgraded..........gives me a chance of getting broadband :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

kaizersoze wrote:
    It's on the first list (100 exchanges) announced around October 2006 to be done before the end of 2007.
    Are you serious man ?????

anyone got a link to the list mentioned ?

And how are eircom with keeping to their timetable ?? or is that a dumb question..

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

here's the strange bit.I rang Eircom on tuesday to check when it would be available in Turloughmore , Galway, was told November. 5 mins after i got off the phone, got a call from an Eircon rep wanting to meet and sign me up, as the exchange was enabled from that day.
    Anyways, at least we'll have it next week.:cool:

sunny2004 wrote:

And how are eircom with keeping to their timetable ?? or is that a dumb question..

Cheers
    Here is a link to the list published by Damiem Mulley but Co. Carlow isn't on it.
    http://www.mulley.net/2006/10/19/eircom-to-enable-another-100-exchanges-120k-more-people-can-avail-of-broadband/

And the list of 300 odd.
    http://www.mulley.net/2007/04/04/eircom-announce-another-300-additional-exchanges-to-be-enabled-no-timeframe/

I have another version of the list that I can't link to from within Eircom and it is on it.

As for the timetable, there doesn't appear to be any and, as shown in the 19 released this week, some of them aren't on either list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The ones enabled outside the lists are often down to local polititians pushing the agenda or the wireless competition enabling the areas and Eircom just trying to be a pain :)

Another reason for DSL coming in, is if there are bigger branches of BOI or AIB.

That's at least how it looks like.

/Marlow

sunny2004 wrote:

Cheers
    As far as I remember their older lists kept pretty much to timetable. I wouldn't doubt what they say in such a public way as this, but anything that is said on the phone about exchanges being upgraded soon is usually rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

the first 100 list were mostly places that had just got a wireless bb and eircom like people giving them money
    was on first 100 list was meant to be done by now told august but the the larger list came out and now have no idea when don't bother ringing eircom if they only have the information that that exchange list does better off asking on boards wont have to talk to that stupid machine they have now

Varik wrote:
    the first 100 list were mostly places that had just got a wireless bb and eircom like people giving them money
    was on first 100 list was meant to be done by now told august but the the larger list came out and now have no idea when don't bother ringing eircom if they only have the information that that exchange list does better off asking on boards wont have to talk to that stupid machine they have now

The list of 100 is to be done before end of 2007. The list of 300 odd are to be done after 2007. Don't trust anything they say on the phone because its more than likely rubbish that the individual person is saying to get you off the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Nobber in Co. Meath?? A small village, and few houses in the immediate area. Not near any communication hubs either, and all the exchanges beside it that are in the same area code aren't enabled either.

Was on the list of 100 though or the one I seen anyway, surprised it happened so quick.
    Marlow wrote:
    The ones enabled outside the lists are often down to local polititians pushing the agenda or the wireless competition enabling the areas and Eircom just trying to be a pain :)

/Marlow

Local T.D lives in area connected to Nobber exchange, possibly pulled a few strings ;) ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

100 or slightly more will be done by the end of the year from what I've been told. Some on the original list might not get done though. Whatever way they are upgrading it seems to be "ah sure, might as well do this one as we're passing down this route". I'd expect a bit of a surge in September when it comes to exchanges being enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ComputerMad

Im annoyed, At work we can't get Eircom Broadband, our Exchange was enabled last year and we are 3KM from the exchange but our line has never been tested since the exchange has been enabled. The Eircom engineer that i managed to get by reporting a "fault on the line" came i asked why we could not get broadband and he said that there was nothing wrong with the line. I asked him Could he test the line manually for broadband. He went to the exchange and rang back saying that he could not test the line as the line needed to be jumpered and they are only jumpered when broadband is ordered. I rang sales again and told them this and they said they would not order broadband untill the line is tested positive the last test date for our line is 7/4/2006 but the exchange was not enabled then. I rang again untill i got an sales guy to have the line manually retested. she said that the guy in the exchange does not know the process of ordering broadband from the sales room point.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

So, are they gonna retest the line? Jeez, that's just sheer incompetence on Eircom's part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ComputerMad

They said that because of the weekend it will be atleast Friday before anything is done to the line. I'll be patient and wait till Monday.
    We are Setting up a new Company in Northern Ireland and I rang up BT for new lines on the Monday rang back on the thursday to ask for an Install date they asked me wat day I would like it installed and I said next Wednesday. The BT Engineer Turned up on Tuesday Afternoon to do the Line work at the Excahnge box as he had a call out all day on Wednesday so he wanted to come here after work to half install the lines and said he would get someone else to cover for him on wednesday. On Wednesday 2 BT Engineers turned up to Finish the Install and had the broasdband up and working before they within the hour.
    Its a shame you have to move premises 5 miles up the road to a differnt country to get a propper service from a telecoms company that actually cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

zugvogel wrote:
    Hi Bazman, Of the list of 100 exchanges published by Eircom in Oct 06 only 2 exchanges in Co. Kildare, Nurney and Broadford were do be done in 07 I think. I've been in contact with a few different Eircom people and from what they say Nurney will be done this Nov/Dec. Can you not get a service from QBSL http://www.qbsl.com/ ? Had them down here in Nurney - unfortunately the small question of piece of terra firma called Bull Hill blocking LOS scuppered any chances of me getting a service from them, but I would have thought that Calverstown would be well covered?
    Cheers - yeah I tried to get QBSL but again they couldnt get line of sight. Everytime I see Eircom vans driving around I'm hoping they're there to enable the exchange but as you say it seems now as if it will be 2008 (hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They said that because of the weekend it will be atleast Friday before anything is done to the line. I'll be patient and wait till Monday.
    We are Setting up a new Company in Northern Ireland and I rang up BT for new lines on the Monday rang back on the thursday to ask for an Install date they asked me wat day I would like it installed and I said next Wednesday. The BT Engineer Turned up on Tuesday Afternoon to do the Line work at the Excahnge box as he had a call out all day on Wednesday so he wanted to come here after work to half install the lines and said he would get someone else to cover for him on wednesday. On Wednesday 2 BT Engineers turned up to Finish the Install and had the broasdband up and working before they within the hour.
    Its a shame you have to move premises 5 miles up the road to a differnt country to get a propper service from a telecoms company that actually cares.

Well they only care about profits same as eircom.

They just aren't completely incompetent. The sooner you are a customer, the sooner they can start charging you for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

brim4brim wrote:

They just aren't completely incompetent. The sooner you are a customer, the sooner they can start charging you for the service.

Well, Eircom hasn't understood that concept entirely yet :D

/Marlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Louthdude

brim4brim wrote:

Haha I think I prefer the British system of get them connected and get their money rather than the Eircom attitude of ''who gives a damn if they are connected or not''. This countries telecommunications system is a total discrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Advertisement