Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Follow up to tipping

• 02-08-2007 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Is tipping waiting staff a working class habbit?

I think it is.
    What do you reckon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

I think it's a habit of people who have worked a similar job themselves. I worked as a lounge boy in my college days and so many people were really miserable with their tips (or no tips whatsoever). I always make sure to give a tip to the lounge staff, especially to the lads as they make fúck all compared to the girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

The obligatory reservoir dogs quote
    Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
    Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
    Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
    Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make ****.
    Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
    Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a ****ing Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
    Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
    Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
    Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
    Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
    Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

Sums up my view on tipping..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

three plus wrote:

I think it is.
    What do you reckon.
    What makes you think it's a working class habit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

CK.1 wrote:
    I think it's a habit of people who have worked a similar job themselves. I worked as a lounge boy in my college days and so many people were really miserable with their tips (or no tips whatsoever). I always make sure to give a tip to the lounge staff, especially to the lads as they make fúck all compared to the girls.

Same here and you are 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

my mate works in a very large very popular restaurant and she says most of the time the best tips she gets are off the pikeys.

and* i agree that its a habit of those who know what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

New thread why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

three plus wrote:

I think it is.
    What do you reckon.

i rekon your working class and your looking at having a dig at the white collars. My uncle is a multi-millionare and he tips in 10's/20's.

What a terrible thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Some people tip because they know what it's like to work a shítty job on a shítty wage.

Some people tip because they have so much money and they like to throw it around.

Some people tip because they feel like they're obliged to even if they don't want to, can't really afford to or don't think the service was good enough to justify it.

Some people tip because they have a lot of money and want to give some of it to people whom are working very hard for very little and would appreciate it most.

Some people don't tip.

END OF DISCUSSION (Someone lock the thread now, please. Thanks).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

red_ice wrote:
    i rekon your working class and your looking at having a dig at the white collars. My uncle is a multi-millionare and he tips in 10's/20's.

What a terrible thread.

Wow, big spender....A millionaire and he tips 20 euro. Is that suppose to be impressive? A 1.50 tip from a regular chap is lot more impressive due to the fact that they have less money to give.

Tell your uncle hes stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I don't tip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

This probably wont go down well, but, ther goes!

My friend is a hair dresser, she says only Dubs tip, country people tend not to. My own barber confirmed this, not 100%, but near enough.

Last year, I took some late in the year surfing lessons. We clubbed together and tipped the instructers (not the company owner) the lads told us it was the second time in the whole year to get a tip and we were the second set of Dubs to go that year!

Advertisement