Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Stepper Motor

• 02-08-2007 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hey folks,

So now I am working with a very old Berger-Lahr 5 phase stepper motor that I want to try and get some use out of. The motor itself seems to be a 24v, 2.8 amp - albeit the manual for it is entirely in German (with a map showing the east/west divide, which made me chuckle). So its pretty old. I have deciphered what colour wires correspond to which magnet. But Im pretty noob when it comes to actually getting these things to work and then hooking them up to some control system.

What kind of equipment would I be looking at to try and control and run it from a PC? Its an open ended question, I know.

Any help is appreciated ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Is there a serial number plate on it ?
    If so you could get its particulars from the company, couldn't you ?

Telephone: +44 (0) 1908 628000
    Fax: +44 (0) 1908 628001
    E-Mail: uk-info@berger-lahr.com

Are you anywhere near a college library ?
    If so, in the reference shelves, you will find Elsevier Eng/Ger/French/Spanish/Dutch technical dictionaries for many disciplines - surely electrical/control engineering also.
    Nowadays they are available on CD if you have some associate membership of the library.(I pay around €150 p.a. for external membership)
    That'll help you with the manual.

As regards the control question, I'm not too expert on this but I'd say you'd need some kind of stepper-motor interface card. You know the sort that enables signals to be sent from and to external hardware.
    These cards usually have scope for several inputs and several outputs and come with their own software on a CD for PC control of the inputs and outputs.
    e.g. http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/KT-5190A

Maybe one of the electricians/control engs who read these threads can guide you better than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gary o

Hello,what i've used in one of my automation labs was a programme called "labview",this is the control side of what you need for a stepper motor,to hook up the PC to the motor will require a Digital acquistion board of some sort,the newer ones are USB but there can be current limits with these so i'm not sure if they can provide 2.8 amps,the other interface is a DAQ board,which is a green board with many ports ports for inserting the different wires from the motor.I have to say that labview is very hard to pick up,unless you have the layout i front of you to copy & even then it's not at all easy!

Advertisement