Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom issue..?

Options
  • 02-08-2007 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭

I thought i posted this up before but i couldnt find it in this forum or under my previous posts section thingy. If i did post it up before i apologise.

First a bit of background, not sure if relevant.
    About 4 years ago when i was first trying to get broadband into the house in Dun Laoghaire we spoke to Eircom and they said that it wasn't possible at that time for two reasons
    a) ISDN would have to be removed first and then broadband check could be done.
    b) Since we were on an overflow exchange we couldn't get it anyway as it hadnt been upgraded even though the main exchange was.

We said ok fair enough and decided to order a new line and hope that it would pass. It didn't pass with Eircom but BT Business broadband said no problems. A couple of months later we were hooked up and happy.

Since then we have removed the ISDN on the original number but have used it as our primary voice traffic line. We have been paying line rental for both ever since (i know i could cancel voice on the broadband line but BT said it would probably be about a months downtime which i couldnt handle :p).

My parents have since moved out of the house and my bro and i remain. I was onto Eircom yesterday about cancelling just the original number and leaving the one with Broadband. I was told this wasn't possible. I was absolutely amazed to be quite honest.

The reason she gave was that one line had PSDN( i think thats what she said) while the other didn't. I asked what that had got to do with anything and she just kept repeating this fact as the reason that we couldnt just cancel one line without cancelling both.
    Now what completly amazes me is that the 2 phone lines go to two completly different exchanges and i really can't see why they would be linked in anyway.

Is there anyone who could shed some light on this for me or has been in a similar situation.
    Thanks greatly for any help/light that you could shed on this.

Advertisement