Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lawn care - borders and edges

Options
  • 02-08-2007 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

What do you use for keeping borders tidy where the grass meets walls and pavements? I've found petrol strimmers too big to be useful, and electric strimmers need more nylon every 20 secs when they encounter hard surfaces. Lately I've been using a hedge clippers, and it's faster but laborious and really messes up my back. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

I use weedkiller, Roundup mixed with Simazine, this keeps all my edges free from grass and weeds all season long, normally put it down at first signs of growth then don't have to worry all summer. Just be careful when you apply, you don't want to get any on your lawn or where you want things to grow, you will get a small strip where nothing will grow for at least six months, but a small price to pay for less work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

hehe - like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

squibs wrote:
    What do you use for keeping borders tidy where the grass meets walls and pavements? I've found petrol strimmers too big to be useful, and electric strimmers need more nylon every 20 secs when they encounter hard surfaces. Lately I've been using a hedge clippers, and it's faster but laborious and really messes up my back. Any suggestions?

Get a thicker grade of nylon, the stuff that comes with the strimmers first, elec or petrol is too fine,~1mm and breaks easily, i think the stuff i use comes in 2.5 and 3mm thickness. You dont use 1/4 as much, but mind the toes and eyes !

Advertisement