Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Box Live vs the Playstation Network

Options
  • 02-08-2007 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Some great debates on these forums about the two consoles!

Anyway, I've heard X Box Live is the business and the Playstation 3 version pales in comparison.

What are people's experiences with the Playstation 3 version? Is there much online content out there and what is gaming online with the PS3 like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Go, fanboys.... GO!

... take the bait! :D

Seriously though, I hope this is a balanced discussion thread... possibly one that a moderator moves to the general 'Games' forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

In terms of the store - the xbox one is faster and prettier. But the PS3 one has (IMO) better content for better value. The PS3 one is way behind in terms of getting game demos up though unfortunately.

Gaming online.. they both seem pretty good and seamless. I believe Live has some extra features but nothing that has bothered me. I'm not a big online gamer though so probably not the best person to ask. I prefer playing F1 online than shooter games :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Playstation Network is slightly disjointed: Online play, Messages and the Playstation store are accessed separately.

Online play has the obvious advantage of being free compared to the small monthly charge for gold membership. Performance wise, the two are both decent. TBH though you've got significantly less chance of finding someone to play against on the Playstation Network.

Content wise, the Euorpean version of the Playstation store is a little behind the U.S. version of the Playstation network, and that in turn is a little behind Xbox live Marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Having a browser on the PS3 is it's advantage when it comes to online capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Dreamarena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Asking to start a flamewar posting in one, of the two console forums.

Movement to games would be a good idea mods??

Xbox LIVE ftw btw, tbh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

PSN is very disconnected, with it's friends list, online game services and shop all disconnected from each other. however, it is free, and offers almost everything xbl does. in fact i think i've enjoyed far more PSN games (super stardust HD, super rub a rub, flow, calling all cars etc.) then xbla games.

basically xbl is a better service, but PSN offers everything you'd want, but free.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Fnz wrote:
    Seriously though, I hope this is a balanced discussion thread... possibly one that a moderator moves to the general 'Games' forum.

Those two ideas pop into my head when I seen the title of the thread - so, done.

MOD WARNING: Stay on topic, any name calling etc in posts and the whole post will be deleted and you'll be banned for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Dreamarena.
    Pity that's well gone now tho eh? Ahhh the days of playing Chu Chu Rocket online... memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Achilles wrote:
    Pity that's well gone now tho eh? Ahhh the days of playing Chu Chu Rocket online... memories!

Sent it free in the post. And it played lag free on a 56k modem. Phantasy Star Online anyone???

I miss SEGA so much. Sometimes I cry a little a night, thinking of the good times.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

If PSN had in-game access to your friends list, I'd have no hesitation in giving it the edge. As it is, both have their plusses and minuses..

PSN
    + Free
    + (IMO) Better content pricing
    + Dedicated servers in first party games
    + Open DLC policy (this is why UT3 is coming to PS3 this year, and not 360)
    + Internet access
    - No universal in-game access to friends list services (some incorporate it, some don't)
    - Slower demo availability (although they say they're fixing this)

Live
    + Universal access to friends list services
    + Larger demo availability
    + Larger body of online content since it's been out longer
    - Costs to play online are pretty significant over the life of the system
    - DLC policies - pricing, 'points' system and MS restrictions are less than ideal
    - MS doesn't provide dedicated servers in even their own games

And of course, things are always developing here..particularly in the near future with the launch of Home on PS3, and new content services.

Advertisement