Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trust your mechanic

Options
  • 02-08-2007 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

Basically, I’m wondering if any of you would have advice for me on this.
    My girlfriend bought her first car about 3 ½ months ago. She saw one on the web and called up to the dealer off Dorset St. to enquire. He told her that it was sold but that he had another automatic, a 98 Honda SRV €3000 that she proceeded to buy off him. Didn’t know any of this at the time! He told her that it hadn’t its MOT test for the current year, he was booking it in, but she could take it now and do the MOT and return it to him for any servicing required.
    Well it basically failed everything. She explained this to the mechanic and he told her he would pick it up, all the time she is paying tax and insurance. 2 weeks go by, of repeated phone calls, during which time her Dad brings it to his mechanic, who looks over it to tell him that it needs a new engine! After that my girlfriend drives the car down with her Dad to his garage, to be told that he was sorry and would fix it up, that the engine is fine, (no mention was made of the other mechanic), and that the smoke coming out of the back was “white Smoke” from water, steam I guess he meant?
    He took it back and said he would fix it and get the MOT himself. A couple of weeks later he tells my girlfriend that it does need a new engine, (I’m wondering what he’ll put in personally).
    Well the MOT date passed, and seemingly they MOT made a mistake and had to reschedule. 2 weeks ago he called to say it had the MOT now and that he would drop it down, so sorry etc.
    After about 8-9 delivery dates, he has not turned up, blaming his staff etc.. not interested. Finally yesterday he told her that he would drop it down to outside where she worked, guess what no show. It’s been basically 3 months since she bought it, and he has had it since the end of June. Is this a case of Buyer Beware, or is there any recourse?

Not sure if I can publish his name and company here, if its o.k. I will.

Regards,

Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Personnally I would go back and demand my money back. Why would she want a heap of crap anyway.
    I'd post this thread in motor's, just to see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

The good news is she bought it off a dealer so normal consumer legislation applies. - If she bought privately there would have been bo come back.

The goods weren't fit for the purpose sold and you have a right to reject it at this stage due to the abnormal delay in getting it fixed. Simple as.

If the dealer does calim it is fixed, get an AA inspection - it will cost about €100 but well worth it. - If this report is negative then reject the car. Old Autos can be troublesome - try going for something 2002 +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Thanks for the advice lads. I think she'll be asking for the refund.

Advertisement