Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Shanghai Shenhua Match Thread

• 02-08-2007 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭

Rafa has a full squad to choose from with the exception of Aurelio, but all the new boys are available. Would expect to see Leto play a part, but probably not start. Since this is the easy game before the Feyenord game id like to see some a varied teamsheet, and the put out a stronger team in the bigger game. For tomorrow im hoping for something like;

Arbeloa--Paletta--Agger--Riise/Threlfall

Pennant--Lucas--Alonso--Babel

Kuyt--Torres

With probably benayoun on for pennant, Leto on for Babel, Sissoko prob on for Lucas, maybe gerrard on for alonso if his injury is ok. Would give Paletta as much game time as possible. Kuyt and torres prob off at some point for Crouch and Voronin. Just really want to see Torres start a match.

What time is this match kicking off at actually?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I wanna see Torres and Voronin together. Kewell to start on the left I reckon. One of the main strikers will probably be rested, maybe Kuyt, and Babel will be played there. Leto will prolly come on for Kewell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

17:30 according to the LFC.tv site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Correct.
    Coverage starts at 5 on Sky Sports 1 for KO at half past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I just want Torres to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm looking forward to seeing Lucas play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I hope I can catch some of this. I'll be away from home so will have to go into a pub... ah well, what can you do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Starting line up

Martin
    Finnan Paletta Hyypia(c) Insua
    Benayoun Leiva Sissoko Leto
    Torres Crouch

subs to be announced

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

couldnt have asked for a better lineup to check out the new boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

dardoz wrote:
    couldnt have asked for a better lineup to check out the new boys.
    Yeah, time to test out Insua and Palleta, considering we might not be in for a CB of LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Leto looks great, strong as an ox. Torres also looking sharp....

Pitch looks strangely bouncy.

• Advertisement

torres 1-0 great finish
    dinked it over the keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

torres 1-0 good finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Whoooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

forgot this started at 17.30. Great to see Torres off the mark. How are pool playing now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

darkskol wrote:
    forgot this started at 17.30. Great to see Torres off the mark. How are pool playing now
    Fairly lacklustre match, though one doesn't really expect much this close to the start of the season...

Liverpool aren't playing badly at all. Torres with a few nice touches. Sissoko his usual industrial self.

Crouch looks a bit off the pace.

Sissoko is looking good, real good, more forward running than normal.

As I said Leto looks great.

Torres is looking sharp, and a threat everytime he gets on the ball.

Benayoun a few nice link ups with Torres.

Leiva looks confident, although has stumbled on the pitch a couple of times. He's playing a more holding role than Sissoko.

Insua, Palletta, Hyppia and Finnan have been largely untested at the back.

The match overall is fairly tame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Levia looking good, but Momo should not be involved in so much of the buildup, something which Levia should be doing.

Insua looking good also, but himself and Leto need to combine more and get to the byline.

Finnan and Benayoun look a great combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

live stream anywhere?

Sissoko actually looks like he's learned to pass.

If this continues he could be an amazing player.

Then all he needs to learn is to shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Sissoko actually looks like he's learned to pass.
    :eek:

Looks like Gerrard and Babel coming on. Might liven things up a little.

Insua has looked good at left back, Paletta not so much at centre half.

Cracker from Gerrard, curling looping above the keeper

Gerrard scored? That didn't take long did it :D

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Cracker from Gerrard, curling looping above the keeper

Typical. I switch program to try and get an English commentary, and I miss the only decent thing in the second half thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Anybody got a vid of Torres goal ?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Torres - great pace and strength over 10 yards. looks dangerous every time he gets the ball
    Leto - final delivery is terrible. looks a little outclassed in the side tbh. He can knock it past a player and get a cross in, but ALL the crosses were terrible
    Leiva - sat back to much and wasnt involved cos the opposition were poor
    Yossi - great vision, nice touch, gonna be a great asset
    Crouch - lacks sharpness
    Sissoko - industrious, and a few surprisingly good passes although trying to do a gerrard running to the oppositions peno area. stick to what ur good at momo
    ensua - very good touch, very calm. good prospect. wont be first team often tho.
    Paulette - get rid of him. hes as slow as hyppia and hes only a young lad. got caught with simple balls over the top on numerous occasions. It scares me when i see him starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great goal (helped by some crappy defence) from Gerrard.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yes, enjoyed Gerrard's. Was there a touch of offside for Torres ? Great ball for Yossi

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Torres looked sharp and its good that he is now of the mark with his first goal,he is a tall lad.

Was there a touch of offside for Torres ? Great ball for Yossi

Nah, he was well onside. Great ball though, aye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Great to see Torres score, and a lovely finish to boot. He's incredibly sharp over 10 yards, albeit I'd say he has a tendency to go out of games for spells.

Crouch was brutal. 4th choice at this moment.

I thought Leto showed a lot of promise. Very happy with him. Benayoun is classy, knew he would be.

I liked Levia a lot in the centre of the field. Went out of it a bit in the second half, but he'll get plenty of games this year.

Sissoko gave away the ball the first three times he got it. Improved after that and was the dominant player in midfield. Still, its only very rarely that he achieves anything when in possession.

Insua looks good at left back. He'll definitely play games this year. Not the finished article but games should improve him.

The keeper, Martin (son of Alvin), looks alright.

Babel looked like a footballer :eek: Thanks be to jaysus. By miles his best few minutes in the red jersey - definitely potential there.

Kuyt did well when he came on. Amazing reception he got from the Feyenoord fans. It was like Fowler going back to Anfield.

Overall a nice performance, without as much cutting edge as there should be. Need to get more bodies in the box when we attack to avoid our strikers being hopelessly outnumbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Nice to see Torres score, he had an opportunity to square it to Crouch but he took his chance. Shows he's confident in front of goal and a bit selfish. Something we haven't had in a striker in ages.

Nice to see Torres score, he had an opportunity to square it to Crouch but he took his chance. Shows he's confident in front of goal and a bit selfish. Something we haven't had in a striker in ages.

Agree

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

From individual performance's point of view I'm delighted with this game. Yes we should have scored more, but all in all I'm more convinced then ever that we can challenge on all fronts this year. particularly in the wide areas that we were caught in in the past few years. Leto impressed me a lot and is actually a viable choice against probably all but the toughest opponants, an even against them I wouldnt be too disappointed to see his name - he's very big and seems strong as an ox! his final ball was lacking but this was his first game so wouldnt worry too much about that.

Insua was fantastic as well I thought, looked really confident after his exploits winning the you-20's world cup. Benayoun showed why we bought him, adds another cutting and an ability to split defences with a pass. Torres looked devestating whenever he received the ball. He looked like he was going out of the game at times but I actually yhought of this as a plus. We have enough players who when they're not getting the ball go very deep and force themselves into the game like Kuyt and crouch, was great to see Torres stay up there waiting for his chance. Whenever these chances presented themselves he looked sharp and ready (bad one bad touch he miscontrolled).
    Lucas played well, was obviously told to play a defensive role with sissoko given the freedom to go forward, would like to see Lucas given a freer role, maybe with mascherano or alonso. Looked comfortable though. Sissoko was all action, if he could shoot straight it would be nice. He's progressing though, his passing has improved and he showed some great touches. Babel also looked better then he did in some of the other games he's played in. think Rafa is forcing him to play on the right side to improve his game in preseason as he's obviously much more comfortable operating on the left. We all know how Rafa likes his wingers to be able to switch. Its probably a good idea, get him used to the right now when it means nothing.

I liked the look of our passing around the box, keeping a move going. I've felt in teh past 2 years far too often we start passing back towards our CB's and keeper who then boots it back up the field. Tonight though we were comfortable passing around the box waiting for the right ball.

Paletta was my one drawback from tonight. he just seems to lose concentration at times. Looks like he has potential but I think a year away on loan would do him good. id be terrified if he had to play a run of premiership games if agger or carra got injured. I say loan him out, bring in a good fallback option for this season and maybe next season and reappraise then. One player who could play across all of the back 4 when required would be very handy as they'd get a few extra games on the flanks as well so wouldnt be too annoyed with the situation. We've been told Arbeloa can play across the back 4 but untill I see him play CB id be wary.

Phew that was long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You getting coaching from Red Spider? (who seems to be absent without leave these days) ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mike65 wrote:
    You getting coaching from Red Spider? (who seems to be absent without leave these days) ;)

Mike.

You've stumbled on my dark secret! The question is which one of us gets to be Peter Parker and which one gets to be Spiderman! Though i suppose with his avatar he gets dibs on spiderman :(

Nah we both know RedSpider would never have commented on the length of his own post ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

My man of the match - sissoko

yes i know

he was brilliant today, what about that pass he drove out left to leto (i thought it was gerrard for a minute)

Babel didnt look great - but he got a rotten reception (maybe that was on his mind)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Benayoun - Liverpool player of the year 2008. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

eirebhoy wrote:

I know, he seems so darn direct, gona put him in my FF :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

palletta must go. he's a shocking player.has he ever had a good game?

leto was terrible. gave the ball away needlessly over and over again. moves were constanly breaking down at his feet.

sissoko's passing was impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Benny for FF is a tough call, I've got three Pool players, finnan, gerrard, torres, three (besides carragher and reina) who I can see certain of starting most games.

So happy to see Torres score, very well taken, missed the second half but caught the gerrard goal on SSN, what a shot. Sissoko impressed, where was Crouch???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

I thought that levia played one of the worst halves of football ive ever seen
    How on earth are people saying he played well? what match were they watching?
    His passing was shocking, sisokko beside him looked like zidane in comparison.
    He will have to improve a heck of a lot if he is to play any premership games imho
    Thought sissokko was unreal. Constantly going forward and his passing has
    improved but still needs a bit of work.
    Thought insua at left back was excellent. Tough as nails great tackling and
    knew when to pass the ball and move to a better position
    Leto looks incredibly raw but could be excellent. Seems to lack a bit of pace though. Reminds me of Kewell in a way but that could be just the hair ;)
    Thought Torres looked excellent as did benayoun
    Pauletta didnt seem related to a footballer im afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

tibor wrote:
    sissoko's passing was impressive.

'Bout bloody time, the guy has some engine on him, I am a big admirer of the guy because of this, but jeez, his touch last season was brutal.
    Maybe this is somethin' they've been workin' on since the season finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

eirebhoy wrote:
    agreed. i have sooooo mch faith in yossi. can;t wait for the kick off in villa park

Advertisement