Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom mail beyond terrible today

Options
  • 02-08-2007 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is in the right forum but I had to vent on how terrible Eircom mail is being today. Its taking between 1 to 3 hours for mail I send to be received and I am just after getting a Email that was sent to me 6 HOURS ago!

That is just ridicules! Anyone else noticing delays of such gargantuan proportions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

been crap (on and off) for the last month . Michael McDowells 'hoover' is getting indigestion I'll wager :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Sent a test mail to my gmail address right before I started this tread. Just been delivered now. This is ridicules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've been having delays from between 1 hour to over 6 today as well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This has been happening a lot over the past few months. Tech support say that a number of their mail servers are getting choked.

Also, has anyone else noticed that their emailprotector has become utterly useless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 slootweg5006

Today was the worst for a long time. It took between three and six hours for mail to arrive, outgoing or incoming. Also, none of the mails sent to yahoo.com addresses reached their destination AT ALL. No bounce back, just nothing.

I called tech support and was told it could be slow until Monday. That is fat lot of use considering tomorrow is the Friday before the Bank Holiday. Worst is it took 4 calls to tech support before they even knew the mail was slow!

We had a lot of business mail today and the delays were so bad I feel sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

If your mail is business critical I would never use your broadband providers outgoing mailserver as these are prone to the issues that eircom are suffering from. I'd recommend you ask whomever you have hosting your domain and e-mail if they give access to send mail through their mailserver (Alot do) If they don't you can always purchase a cheap e-mail only package and setup an account on it that you can use to authenticate with their mailserver to send out your mail. If you want more detailed instructions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

i agree with asok

personally, i cannot understand a business using an ISP's mail server for their emails. get your email hosted, that way you know it will go through

by the same token, i cant understand business with one residential broadband package as their only internet connection, but thats another story

This has been happening a lot over the past few months. Tech support say that a number of their mail servers are getting choked.

Also, has anyone else noticed that their emailprotector has become utterly useless?

Emailprotector is still working for me. Outgoing mails seem to be ok today but incoming mails are taking about 20 minutes to be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I sent an email from my gmail accout at 10 am to my eircom account. I got it at 14:45....ridiculous! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Asok wrote:
    If your mail is business critical I would never use your broadband providers outgoing mailserver as these are prone to the issues that eircom are suffering from. I'd recommend you ask whomever you have hosting your domain and e-mail if they give access to send mail through their mailserver (Alot do) If they don't you can always purchase a cheap e-mail only package and setup an account on it that you can use to authenticate with their mailserver to send out your mail. If you want more detailed instructions let me know.

I can confirm that sending from non-eircom to eircom can take 2 to 6 hrs and worst case 14 hrs recently.

Using eircom to eircom is faster, but eircom to non-eircom can also be very slow

Spammers should have their keyboards anglegrinded and their mice blended.

There is no simple "fix everything solution" to this.

• Advertisement

Over the last week and a half my emailprotector has blocked 22 spam messages, all of them sex related.

Seems to be a hell of a lot of sex spam being sent at the moment.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Eircoms mailservers were blacklisted for years by many international ISPs due to the incredibly high throughput of spam, I don't know that this has really changed in recent times...

Are you sure the delay is at the eircom mailserver end? Are your mail headers timestamped?

Of course I would echo what Asok and event have said.

CuLT wrote:
    Eircoms mailservers were blacklisted for years by many international ISPs due to the incredibly high throughput of spam, I don't know that this has really changed in recent times...

Are you sure the delay is at the eircom mailserver end? Are your mail headers timestamped?

Of course I would echo what Asok and event have said.

I checked the headers on the mails and the mails left my PC and reached the eircom server instantly. Then they went into the eircom QMail server and stayed there for hours on end. There must have been a free buffet on QMail.

I got strange advice from one of their techs today. He told me that in cases of server clog, like yesterday, mails with third party addresses such as yahoo and hotmail are filtered out as spam. I guess that explains why my mail to yahoo never arrived.

I have noticed an increase in spam such as I have won the lottery and other cons to get me to send bank account details. I now get about six of those a day. Spam filters do not filter those spams.

BTW this morning there was a mail in my inbox which had been sent from Bristol last Sunday. It must have been stuck on the clogged servers somewhere.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I'm shocked people still use Eircom Mail.

Solution: Gmail

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

cast_iron wrote:

This is really the answer for most users.

If you wish to still receive your eircom mails, it is a relatively simple task to have your Gmail account do the job of Outlook or whatever mail client you use and "pop" the eircom mailserver.

The beauty of this of course is that Gmail filters out the spam from your eircom account too :)

CuLT wrote:
    This is really the answer for most users.

If you wish to still receive your eircom mails, it is a relatively simple task to have your Gmail account do the job of Outlook or whatever mail client you use and "pop" the eircom mailserver.

The beauty of this of course is that Gmail filters out the spam from your eircom account too :)

Could you provide a link detailing how?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

Could you provide a link detailing how?

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=21288&topic=1577

General Gmail support topics:
    http://mail.google.com/support/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I NEVER use gmail
    I consider it an invasion of privacy and insecure
    Someone does NOT need your password, only your gmail cookie. Either PC you just used, wifi sniff or if you use a trojaned PC in a cafe or college etc (it can send the cookie to a spammer that can use your gmail to spread spam or whatever)

In fact I rarely use web mail

gmail is no substitute for eircom

I use about 5 domains for email for different purposes, but my email client picks up from one unlisted pop account all the others are forwared to (my mail software at home that deletes malware and keeps a security backup of all email). Then on thunderbird I pick one of 3 from addresses when sending, and in Thunderbird outgoing server I have all the common networks' SMTP and when changing network, select the appropriate once as "default"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

stopped using eircom email back in 2003, havent missed it:p

The eircom mail again ground to a halt at 2.30pm today and the usual tech support explanation is that the techs are working on it but the mail is currently running up to four hours slow.

They seem unable to provide a mail service and really should remove mail from their description of the eircom broadband package.

We have been keeping their snailpace service monitored through sending the delayed mails to a newspaper.

Eircom need to compensate people for lost business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

POP access was down for me all day yesterday. Back again this morning.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The eircom mail again ground to a halt at 2.30pm today and the usual tech support explanation is that the techs are working on it but the mail is currently running up to four hours slow.

They seem unable to provide a mail service and really should remove mail from their description of the eircom broadband package.

We have been keeping their snailpace service monitored through sending the delayed mails to a newspaper.

Eircom need to compensate people for lost business.

You will probably find that no isp 'guarantees' service levels for mail unless you specifically buy some sort of email product from them. For example the .mac service for which Apple charge 99 euros a year has been very unreliable latterly. Eircom would probably argue that the email service is an extra in the bb package.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

dub45 wrote:
    Eircom would probably argue that the email service is an extra in the bb package.

They don't have to argue as eircom.net email is a free-be for anyone, even non-eircom customers.

If you want reliable mail, use gmail, gmx or a dedicated mailhost-service.

/Marlow

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

cast_iron wrote:

GMAIL!!! U mean SPYMAIL

http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

Advertisement