Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spanish radio coming in loud and clear on 94.8 mhz

• 02-08-2007 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd mention it :)

On the south coast its not that unusual but the signal right now is very good, even in stereo the signal is listenable.

I've googled the frequency http://www.santuariodeloyola.org/loyola-radio.html

The programme output is somewhat odd, after some promos and jingles a sound collage followed and right now a piece of documentary of the scout movement in English and now more Spanish language and now more ads/jingles/station announcements.

Channel 9 " scorchio"!

They also have access to that dreamy ambient/new age loop used by Euronews for its weather forecast.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its still loud and clear so now I have to conclude that someone is re-broadcasting the signal.

I know its the Spanish Student Season but still...! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

94.8MHz is the frequency of WLR's transmitter on Hook Head (Templetown). It's only low power, but can be received in the higher parts of the city, and a lot of the east of the county. It hasn't been unknown for it in the past to rebroadcast UK radio during lift conditions when the alternative signal on 97.5MHz became stronger than WLR itself at the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

bkehoe wrote:
    It hasn't been unknown for it in the past to rebroadcast UK radio during lift conditions when the alternative signal on 97.5MHz became stronger than WLR itself at the site.

that was probably actually reception of bbc Radio Devon who have a transmitter on 94.8 ?

I fail to see how a UK signal could affect the input frequency to that repeater, as it is receiving a ?kW signal from only a few miles away and the receive aerial would be very off-beam to the UK, unless it happened due to the WLR 97.5 being very low power or off-air due to a fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

You'd be surprised how strong foreign stations can get around these parts Ant. I've had UK (and stations from further afield) totally wipe out the RTE stations from Mt Leinster which is only 25KM from me and with line of sight on rare occasions in the past.

Carrickphierish and Templetown do have LOS but the TX beam of 97.5 is away from Templetown. Templetown also only used to have (haven't been there in a while) a small triax receive antenna (possibly 3 ele), which in my experience aren't exactly the most directional. I've never got BBC on 94.8 before, even on very high mountains around here during decent conditions.

Still coming in loud and clear.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Still coming in loud and clear.

Mike.

Probably an I-trip or similar little transmitter connected to a Satellite receiver in a nearby home? Tune it in on the car radio and go for a drive, it will probably disappear a short distance away?

Intersting thought, I was listeing to Right Hooks tech spot yesterday and that device got mentioned! *how to confuse your neighbours* The only thing is I don't have an Spanish neighbours.

Just got the in car and it did'nt pick anything up cos FM amp is borked!

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill give it a go later and see if I can pick anything up Mike. Im assuming your doing this from Waterford?

Yep I listening to it right now.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Out here in Tramore and getting that frequency loud and clear. 94.85 also.

Music is what I hear so far.. Dont recognise it..

Edit: Radio says its WLR FM, and it is.

• Advertisement

He! that tallies with the post above by bkehoe. It must be a local thing, I must have a Spanish or Spanish speaking neighbour :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 backdraft102

Could be something for the 2007 jamboree in Chelmsford, England.the scout camp is active from end july to mid august so a temporary activity station would be broadcasting. They have every nationality there and that might explain it.

Johmo.

Bump! I thought to check this for the first time in months, the Spanish station is gone and its now a battle between WLR and Classic FM.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    now a battle between WLR and Classic FM.

Classic FM are in the 100-102 part of the band (same as Today).
    THe UK station you are hearing on 94.8 is probably BBC Radio Devon, also on 801 MW (compare it to 801kHz medium wave which you should hear easy enough during daylight).

Nope it was definitly Classic FM and I know that cos they ran a promo for Jon Lords programme this weekend. Anyway I think the reason this seems to be happening is down to the several miles of co-ax in the roof and the booster/distributor box.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Leaky NTL cable.

Advertisement