Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SALUTE! Show Dublin 25/26th August

Options
  • 02-08-2007 8:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭

Those of you interested in military firearms and vehicles may be interested in going to the SALUTE! show being held in the The National Show Centre, Swords, Co. Dublin on August 25/26th. The vehicles on show will range from WW2 kettenrads up to a Chieftain tank, all operational and seen moving. Many vehicles and static displays will show the full variety of infantry weapons from Mausers through Lee Enfields to .30 and .50 Brownings. Also present will be a number of re-enactment groups taking part in displays in the arena. Visit the web site www.salute.ie to learn more.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

Did you know that the Irish have always played a disproportionate role in the history of the British and French Armies?There was always a number of Irish regiments on both sides in the major wars from the 15th Century onwards, The maximum contribution to the British army reached approx 50% in the Crimean War which was amazing considering that Ireland represented less than 20% of the total population ot these islands. To learn more about this and the firearms used from the Napoleonic wars up to the present day visit the Salute show to handle and inspect these firearms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

As Spike Milligan said on it;
    The Irish were brilliant at fighting everyones elses wars and winning them.Except for their own.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Leupold wrote:
    Those of you interested in military firearms and vehicles may be interested in going to the SALUTE! show ......
    Leupold wrote:
    To learn more about this and the firearms used from the Napoleonic wars up to the present day visit the Salute show to handle and inspect these firearms.

I get the feeling you have something to do with this show Leupold, or are you just reeeeal enthusiastic? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Reckon you lads are going to get a demo or plenty of shi"e stirring by the anti war happy clappy PC brigade.They are starting up on indymedia,and have posted already the details of directors and who is running the show.
    " Only Colonial irish need apply"[????] and "The nazi reenactment group lends a suitable fascist touch to the whole thing" are just the starting comments.

Thanks for pointing us at Indymedia CG. I had a look at the site and was not surprised to see that the rhetoric of the loonies never seems to change although the objects of their hatred go in and out of fashion.
    In reply to RRPC, I am real interested and will go to the show. The reason I put it on here was to highlight the firearms content, even though deactivated or blank firing. Most people would not had had the opportunity to see such historic firearms and vehicles before .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Same weekend as Country Fair in Birr, good planning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Sorry for highjacking the tread ...

Are many people planning to attend the Fair...?

Sorry, was that an apology ? In advance ? Blue moon

I going on Sunday !

If you prefer interesting firearms and vehicles to green wellies and decoys, then go to the salute show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

I was there yesterday, had a good few interesting vehicles but I have never seen so many idiots and walter mittys in one place.

Man even my neighbours kids found these idiots posing with Plastic guns funny and throwing shapes.

If they did it for real I dont think they would be to hasty to be acting the maggot.

Fair play to the RDF there at least they had some cop on and I'll say some.

Otherwise it was a nice few hours looking at weapons and vehicles I have'nt seen since my days in the Brits :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Where was the Napoleonic stuff?
    I didnt see any redcoats at all.
    Otherwise it was a nice day out, strange seeing a few of the bits like the french 75 outside of a museum collection.
    Theres something not right about perving over guns out in the open though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Flying wrote:
    I was there yesterday, had a good few interesting vehicles but I have never seen so many idiots and walter mittys in one place.

Man even my neighbours kids found these idiots posing with Plastic guns funny and throwing shapes.

If they did it for real I dont think they would be to hasty to be acting the maggot.

Fair play to the RDF there at least they had some cop on and I'll say some.

Otherwise it was a nice few hours looking at weapons and vehicles I have'nt seen since my days in the Brits :D

Dont say anything bad about the airsofters at many points of the day i say numerous reserves pissing about with their guns with live rounds in them so u cant just say it was us.
    And alot of the real guns are made out of the same "Plastic" (polycarbonate to people who have a clue) as the real thing. Get your facts straight before u go bad mouthing something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Evolute wrote:
    Dont say anything bad about the airsofters at many points of the day i say numerous reserves pissing about with their guns with live rounds in them so u cant just say it was us.
    And alot of the real guns are made out of the same "Plastic" (polycarbonate to people who have a clue) as the real thing. Get your facts straight before u go bad mouthing something.

Don't start random mud slinging or you will get a swift boot out of here.

So should you, I was there as a spectator and the RDF security lads (the only ones with live rounds) never went further then about 10 feet from their stand so "pissing about" is a bit of an over statement. Considering they were their to protect the only real/functioning weapons at the show and there were people walking around with very real looking guns all over the place, they did a good job.

He never even said airsoft he just said plastic, there are a few people who think all reencators are walts. Non metal airsofts are abs plastic, the goggles most people use are polycarbonate.

I have to say I found it odd that those not involved with airsoft or or reenacment were walking around with airsofts/deacts/imatations hanging off them. Guys in luminious yellow safety vests with drop leg holsters and pistols or M4's over their backs all in civvie dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Rew wrote:
    I have to say I found it odd that those not involved with airsoft or or reenacment were walking around with airsofts/deacts/imatations hanging off them. Guys in luminious yellow safety vests with drop leg holsters and pistols or M4's over their backs all in civvie dress.

Seconded.

But then again - Airsoft AEGs/GBBs are (legally speaking) toys, and there's no diktat that anyone involved in airsoft should wear camo/full gear at all times: we did as part of the "PR bit" for the sport - but where do you draw the line between 'those involved with airsoft' and those who are not? Is the criteria ownership of an airsoft device, or that and cammo, or attendance to HRTA...?

If there's anyone to criticize for this, it should be the organisers for permitting it... But it went extremely well for everyone present, so let's all calm down and bask in the warm glow of a well-attended event, which all visitors appear to have thoroughly enjoyed (all those that I spoke to anyway ;))

ambro25 wrote:
    Seconded.

But then again - Airsoft AEGs/GBBs are (legally speaking) toys, and there's no diktat that anyone involved in airsoft should wear camo/full gear at all times: we did as part of the "PR bit" for the sport - but where do you draw the line between 'those involved with airsoft' and those who are not? Is the criteria ownership of an airsoft device, or that and cammo, or attendance to HRTA...?

If there's anyone to criticize for this, it should be the organisers for permitting it... But it went extremely well for everyone present, so let's all calm down and bask in the warm glow of a well-attended event, which all visitors appear to have thoroughly enjoyed (all those that I spoke to anyway ;))

Thing is I know pretty much everone there who was on the Airsoft side of it and these guys had nothing to do with HRTA or any other airsoft group. I do think that the orgainsers need to be the ones who lay down the law on it but they seemed to be the organisers so...

Iv been to reenactment events before and you dont see guys walking around in jeans with a sword and shield.

Evolute wrote:

What you have to remember about the reservists is that they have had military and weapon training before they are let loose in public with weapons either loaded or unloaded, have you ?

Now what would happen if one of you're lot 'shaped' up to them as a laugh, what does the reservist do presume it's a joke ......... ? People have been shot brandishing replicas. As a reservist I must say this was not a nice situation to be put in. I wasn't there and I wouldn't have been not as a reservist anyway ! A replica, airsoft weapon pointed at me, as a joke, and it all gets very real very fast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

We all had fun. The public had fun.

Overall, a fantastic day for everyone. And that is what matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

nobody squared up to any of the rdf/fra lads from our airsoft tent anyway.
    It was a good day and everyone had a good laugh, from what i could see, the rdf/fca lads pulled out very sharpish before the show even ended and i dont mean that as a dig because i had wanted to take a look over there once things got a bit less hectic at our tent.
    We actualy had alot of the rdf/fca lads in our tent at one stage chatting away with them aswell as making great contacts with the MVA and renenactment lads.
    I didnt see any irrisponsible arsing about the place by anyone from any stand.

The fact that we had drawn as big a crowd as anybody there and have been applauded by the staff and have been encouraged to do it again shows we done well and were welcome.

What you have to remember about the reservists is that they have had military and weapon training before they are let loose in public with weapons either loaded or unloaded, have you ?

Now what would happen if one of you're lot 'shaped' up to them as a laugh, what does the reservist do presume it's a joke etc.

Calm down.

Echoing Spit's post somewhat, there's actually a fair few of the airsofters who have had actual weapon training, and handling (at HRTA at least) is taught 'communally' for those who have not (anywhere else but in the 'live' zone: safeties on at all times/never aim at people/hold with barrel down, not up, etc.).

I don't know anyone from our (still) little group of people, who would even think of 'squaring up' to anyone - at all. We're not in the 'squaring up' business, whatever others may think/post about it.

Anyone else do whatever you're suggesting, then they get what they deserve, tbh - and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Now what would happen if one of you're lot 'shaped' up to them as a laugh, what does the reservist do presume it's a joke ......... ?

I don't know about the other groups, but all of the airsoft guys knew quite well that replicas + guys armed with live rounds don't mix. I would be VERY surprised to hear of anyone from the airsoft tent doing anything so ridiculously stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Dar wrote:
    I don't know about the other groups, but all of the airsoft guys knew quite well that replicas + guys armed with live rounds don't mix. I would be VERY surprised to hear of anyone from the airsoft tent doing anything so ridiculously stupid.

Yup, at the start of the day we were told not to enter the IDF area while carrying any kind of replica gun. The RDF guys were really cool about it and I was able to leave my G3 & Glock with one of them while I went in for a look around their impressive display.

The only thing that concerned me was that there was one IDF guy on guard duty (I can only assume with live rounds) and he had his finger on the trigger at once stage. :eek: That's how accidents happen (safety switches can accidentely be knocked into a firing mode)

Edit : typo

ambro25 wrote:
    Echoing Spit's post somewhat, there's actually a fair few of the airsofters who have had actual weapon training, and handling (at HRTA at least) is taught 'communally' for those who have not (anywhere else but in the 'live' zone: safeties on at all times/never aim at people/hold with barrel down, not up, etc.)

To be fair now, there is a huge difference between that and want any soldier RDF or PDF get. There is also a massive difference in the responsibility on your shoulders with a live assault rifle and an airsoft rifle.

All military personal have to do a verbal test and qualify on the range before they can do anything else and thats done every year on every weapon thier trained on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Yup, at the start of the day we were told not to enter the IDF area while carrying any kind of replica gun. The RDF guys were really cool about it and I was able to leave my G3 & Glock with one of them while I went in for a look around their impressive display.

The only thing that concerned me was that there was one IDF guy on guard duty (I can only assume with live rounds) and he had his finger on the trigger at once stage. :eek: That's how accidents happen (safety switches can accidentely be knocked into a firing mode)

Edit : typo

If there is a round in the breach, apart from the obvious and not being smart but does anyone apart from the shooting regulars actually have a clue what they are talking about.

I am sorry if I seem ignorant but there is a serious amount of BS being spoken here by people that have not ever used a "Real" gun either in a sporting or military capacity. No PDF member would dare play with a live weapon and especially around civilians so please stop talking tripe, these men and women spend quite a lot of time being drilled on these weapons and safety is the priority, so you may need you eyes tested as the only magazines that were live were the ones with white tape around them and the pistols in the holsters of certain cadre staff NCO's.

Rew wrote:
    To be fair now, there is a huge difference between that and want any soldier RDF or PDF get. There is also a massive difference in the responsibility on your shoulders with a live assault rifle and an airsoft rifle.

That's not in contention (some of the 'softers I'm referring to are "at that level", btw): we've never claimed to be trained professionals - just safety conscious fun-loving amateurs, with a bit of a clue :)

= it's not because the guy next door is chambered in 6mm Plastic instead of 8mm Mauser that I'd cut him any slack if he were to point his AEG at me in a safe zone when I'm not wearing goggles. Sounds elementary/logic/simple enough to you and most in here - some (actually, a lot of) people who've had zero exposure to anything projectile still need the basics. Is all. The same logic applies in an environment where there's increased potential for confusion - so AEGs were not to be pointed at anyone at Salute, never mind the PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Maybe this thread should be moved as it has nothing really to do with shooting. Airsoft has it's own forum. What do you think Mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm both a Shooter and in my younger years spend 6 years in the reserves
    and I love Airsoft stuff.

Wondering what side of the fence that puts me on??

The Airsoft Lads know only too well that they need to be careful about how
    they behave in Public as the sport is so young in Ireland and only legal
    since 2006.

From Being on Guard Duty myself in the past I must say it would be quite of an unusual
    situation to be put in for either a PDF or RDF member with so many replicas about the place.
    But I am sure precautions and guidelines would have been organized before hand.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I reckon this thread should be locked or moved, cos "we're not in Kansas anymore" :)

its only gonna spiral outta control and end up being another bitchfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Got to agree, this has run a long way off-topic. So stuff relating to the shooting displays and so on in the salute show only from now on please folks, or one of us will close the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I was 1 of the members of the Security Detail and I can tell you....... You really had no need for concern. It was umpossible for any of us to accidently let off a round. The weapons weren't cocked and the Safety on the Steyr really isn't easy to switch.

And all the lads on Security were experienced........ We've all been on multiple Guard Duties and Security Details so you were safe :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Evolute wrote:

Get your facts straight Kid. There wasn't a single lad "pissing about" with live rounds in their rifle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement