Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tradesmen's Going Rates

Options
  • 02-08-2007 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

What are the going rates for tradesmen these days, specifically:

Electricians
    Carpenters
    Plumbers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Depends on a number of things,job location,job profile. Hourly rate these days is anything from 17-20+euro an hour,electricans seems to get more though.

Some charge a 200-250euro a day rate maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Cash job €200
    Through the books €400-500+VAT

As madm points out, depends on a lot of things: size of job, difficulty of job, availability of labour etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Thanks very much for the information folks.

I'm definitely in the wrong job...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Depends on size of job, complexity, etc. If we have any of them in for, say, a couple of hours, we generally pay them €50 per hour (for e.g. changing light switches/sockets , putting in new suite,etc)

However, if it is going to take a couple of days, they charge us a daily rate that they come up with.

We have renovated 3 houses and used the same tradesmen so that is how we work it with them

Dools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'd be surprised if you could get someone (good) for €200 a day. More like €300 I'd say - in Dublin anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd agree with the above, but I would also never ever pay by the day. I'd get a price on all jobs regardless of the size etc, see what someone will do it for, if you want you can get them down a little, there are so many disadvantages in paying someone by the day, lack of motivation, less hold over payment terms, you can end up paying for them to fix poor quality work that they carried out.

Fair up front negotiation of priced work is the only way to go IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Don't forget ,an official tradesaman has to charge 13 1/2% vat in his price for the goverment.

Then he has to pay the standard tax rates ,
    Insurance,
    Services - Phones Mobile/Landline ,secretary ,Goldenpages ,advertising .

Please don't consider your price as money pocketed ,we do a lot of work for accountants and they know what our outlays are . It's depressing sometimes to think that people consider themselves ripped off ,because of price differences.

There are a lot of toe rags ,that don't pay taxes ,claim off the government and people don't know what a good job actually looks like :(

Advertisement