Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know anything about cats ???

Options
  • 02-08-2007 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Just found a mum cat and 5 tiny kittens under a bush in my back garden. The kittens are gorgeous.

ISPCA reckons she had them in our garden as it's completely walled in apposed to the other gardens around which have fences (easier for dogs to climb apparently).

Left a message with the cat protection agency (yes there's such a thing) and they're gonna call be back tomorrow.

We'd love to keep one for ourselves, but we're out from 7am to 7pm most days and couldn't look after one properly.

Anyone have this happen to them before.
    If so what was the final result ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hun just because you are out of the house does not mean you can not have a cat or 2 - my cats have free access to dried food & water & are given tinned food morning & night - gbuy them some toys & they would be very happy! Cats are easy to litter train etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bond-007 wrote:
    Hun just because you are out of the house does not mean you can not have a cat or 2 - my cats have free access to dried food & water & are given tinned food morning & night - gbuy them some toys & they would be very happy! Cats are easy to litter train etc.

++

OP - ours are fine during the day, don't worry.

Why not keep 2 of the kittens so they have each other for company.

As bond says, cats are easy to keep and give more back than you expect..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hmmm

Cats look down on you

Dogs look up to you

Pigs treat you as equal....

Keep two of them anyway they are great company and easy to look after.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

pics?.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes cats are fine on their own, in fact they prefer it a lot of the time :D
    We have 2 and are gone the same amount of time as you. In fact my keyboard is sitting on one of the cats right now :D Cat is on lap and keyboard on cat.

Enjoy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I'm gone from 7 to 7 and I have two cats... I had one to start off with, but she craved more attention, so we got her a friend. It's best if you could take 2 kittens now as they will get on fine. Just leave them food and water in the morning before work, get them a few toys, and a scratching post. Feed them when you come home and they'll be happy! Bring them to the vet at 10 weeks for vaccinations, and I would strongly recommend to spay / netuer them at around 6 months. I hope you've kept one (or two!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A nice dry shelter that keeps the cold/rain out, access to food and water (as they like to nibble little bits of food regularly rather than get big meals twice a day) and that's a cat sorted.
    I personally didn't give my late cat tinned or pouch food as it's very processed, but I gave her dried food and bits of human food. In the morning I would give her a bowl of dried food and a drink of water. Then I would measure out a quantity of dried food for her to pick at during the day (make sure to measure it so that you don't overdo it, it's abusive to overfeed an animal and there was even an article in a few papers last week about the increase in diabetic cats - the pictures of the poor things were pitiful. Ask your vet what the correct measurement would be) In the evenings I would give her our dinner leftovers (meat, chicken, fish, gravy). Also bits of cold meat, tinned tuna/salmon etc are good. Squeeze tuna or salmon juice over dried cat food and observe one happy cat!
    My cat didn't like the taste of chlorine off tap-water (common apparently due to them having such an acute sense of smell/taste) so I would leave a bowl outside to gather rainwater and she loved that.

Keeping two of the kittens is a good idea. Cats are independent, but it's nice for them to have a bit of company so they won't become too introverted. And two cats are just as easy to look after as one.

And finally, show them all the love you can. Don't listen to those who say cats aren't affectionate. Ever heard a cat purr when you stroke it? One of the most beautiful sounds ever.

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Just to add - I adopted two rescue kittens about a month ago and also work all day but the two kitties are laughin'! They play together all the time - just make sure their environment is interesting - lots of places to hide and seek, toys and climbing spots.

I think just one kitten on its own would be a bit lonely and bored. I was told a brother and sister combo works best as when they grow they can get a bit competitive otherwise.

If the cat is feral, try to get the kittens as soon as poss, or it may be difficult to get them to adjust to human contact.

Good luck with it! I am amazed at how much fun my two have brought into my life! I have never laughed so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just to say again, put the water bowl away from the food bow, preferably out of line of sight of each other and I think you will find the cat will drink from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JacobM

Found cats are good cats. I've had half a dozen cats and I don't really care for them anymore. They shed and are emotional sponges. It makes people act weird. I'd keep it indoors. They kill all the baby birds. They are terrible like that. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement