Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4gb ?! = 3.25gb

Options
  • 02-08-2007 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi all

I had 2 x 1GB Geil PC6400 DDR II 800Mhz in my system, today I added another 2 x 1GB A Data PC6400 DDR II 800+

My system is reporting 3.25GB not 4 ?

Any ideas ?

Motherboard is in my sig !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yes, you need a 64bit operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

he got it on the bullet there !

btw go for vista 64bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

oddly enough I couldnt get 4gb in vista home prermium 64bit.. My pc wouldnt boot with it? I could get it fine in 32bit! But ive xp pro so its fine.. Ill wait until the service pack comes out and give it another go

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Thanks Anti, but is it better than 3GB ?, and will having 4GB slow me down versus the 2GB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

nope it shouldent as ur first 2gbs are running dual channel while you have a spare 1gb just running in single.

so should be faster then 2gb afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

There wont be any problem just the whole business with memory addressing kicks in so the 768MB on the GeForce GPU is taken into account along with a few other things hence the drop to 3.25GB it can vary from system to system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah a 32bit OS can only handle a max of 4GB's of RAM, 8T8's right in that your gfx ram is also included with this.

The 4GB limit is great though as it will be this alone that will push people and developers to adopt 64bit computing. Although it will be a while yet before we are forced to go to 128bit, lol, as 64bit can utilize up to 18.5 Exa Bytes of RAM (or 18,446,744,073 GB's :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

hello there , if your seeing 3.25 gig you may need to enable PAE, find the boot.ini file on your c: drive (its hidden by default) turn off the read only setting on the properties of the file then open it in notepad

it will look something like this

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /PAE

add the /PAE option to the end just like the example above , save the file and reboot your computer and see if that helps you.

Good Luck :)
    Damien.

Advertisement