Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

contraception

• 02-08-2007 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

My GF is starting a treatment of anti-biotics, (for many months), now this will make the pill ineffective, and we both don't like condoms.

Any suggestion as to what type of method we should use?

we're both slightly confused as to which method to go for, BTW, she's off to the doc tomorrow to discuss it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Withdrawal method, around her fertile time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

why not try the bar??? most of my friends have the bar in their arms. you can get it for free and its lasts like three years or something.... they put it into ur arm with a needle and i heard it doesn really hurt!!!!!........ Niall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are other barrier methods and spermicides that you can look at with your doctor or a family planning clinic or you could stick to other types of sex, not involving penetration.
    momo87 wrote:
    why not try the bar??? most of my friends have the bar in their arms. you can get it for free and its lasts like three years or something.... they put it into ur arm with a needle and i heard it doesn really hurt!!!!!........ Niall
    Such treatments are likely to affect all hormonal contraceptives.

The implant isn't affected by antibiotics because it goes straight into your blood stream.
    It isn't free costs 85 with that scheme things and 90 for GP to discuss and insert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

well.. withdrawal isn't gonna happen or work for, and as for other types of sex.. well... shes not gonna go for that.

She has a thing about penetration, and she doesn't go for any of that back door shinanagance.

might look into the bar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/index.html

Has a list of all the types of contraception currently advailible in the country.
    Have a read and some some research before going to the gp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Sure if all else fails just use the condoms, it'll make it all the better when she comes off them again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

I know others have posted that the bar seems pretty good, and yes in terms of not being affected by antibiotics its fine. But I had it for 5 months and it was a nightmare!!! Not to be gross but there were some pretty icky side effects!

Suffice to say that when it's good it's very very good and when it's bad it's horrid!!!!

Best bet is to talk to the doctor. There are lots of option out there apart from the pill and condoms. There's diaphragms, the nova ring, the coil etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@ finbarrk - Helpful comments only please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

If her cycle is regular you could try using the persona,
    You have to stick to the instruction's,

She urinates on a stick 8 day's a month(16 day's on the first month)
    Then put's the stick in a machine which read's her hormone level's.
    The machine will give you a reading based on the levels of her hormone's.
    Red=fertile/soon to be fertile
    Green= safe to play

It is working very well for me 12 month's on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

I was just put on a two month course of antibiotics so I went around to my doctor to ask what would I do about the pill. What I was told that with long term courses of antibiotics they don't actually stop the pill from working the entire time. I was told that after two weeks the pill more or less reactivates itself. I was also told to not take my next seven day break.

That said, I deal with contraception with the paranoia of Lady Macbeth so it's condoms all around untill I'm finished with the antibiotics. Talking to her own GP is the best route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭ladylorenzo

dudara wrote:
    @ finbarrk - Helpful comments only please.

Eh, withdrawal is a helpful comment...no chemicals, no comdoms and full penetration....win win situation..providing the male is a decent guy who you can rely on to pull out every time. Works for me and my BF. Together 4 years now and not one scare.
    Good Luck, LL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Eh, withdrawal is a helpful comment...no chemicals, no comdoms and full penetration....win win situation..
    It's not a very reliable method of preventing pregnancy as I'm sure thousands of unplanned parents will attest too. It's also utterly and completely useless in terms of preventing STDs (as is the Pill for that matter).

If you and your partner have been using this successfully as a method of contraception for four years then you're either very lucky, or one of you is infertile. After four years and not one single scare, I'd be asking why?

For the OP, if the pill is off the cards and you don't like condoms then your options are quite limited. Abstinence around her fertile time might be better than withdrawal, but again calculating the fertile period is not an exact science is it? Also, no one really likes using condoms, we just have to get over it and use them anyway.

The GP will probably offer some advise on what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was just put on a two month course of antibiotics so I went around to my doctor to ask what would I do about the pill.
    I imagine different people, different contraceptives, different anti-biotics might just react differently.
    Talking to her own GP is the best route.
    Indeed.

Eh, withdrawal is a helpful comment...no chemicals, no comdoms and full penetration....win win situation..providing the male is a decent guy who you can rely on to pull out every time. Works for me and my BF. Together 4 years now and not one scare.
    Good Luck, LL

HELLO! Precum!
    I'd be taking a fertility test if I was you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

momo87 wrote:

Free??? It's over 200e! And it does hurt. It's called the rod, not a bar. Afaik, it's not canceled out by other treatments. I've told doctors I'm on it whenever I've needed a prescription and they've never said it'll be canceled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

look into using different types of condoms, featherlite, pleasure max, tingle etc, or else those durex lube things, play and heat, spices up the sex no end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The withdrawal method is not a very effective way of preventing pregnancy.

The best thing that your girlfriend can do is talk to her GP about the options available to her. Taking what is said on an internet forum as gospel is not really an idea that I'd recommend. Go the the GP. She really should have had that discussion with the GP when she was prescribed the antibiotics.

Why do you not want to consider using condoms for the few months? It's a small sacrifice to make.

Advertisement