Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got 8 meg BB from BT??

Options
  • 02-08-2007 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

mmm just got 8 meg BB from BT Ireland, phoned up and sales agent told me i was on a LLU exchange and offered me the service.. got connected in 5 working days :D

i asked when did this become available and why are they not advertising it and he said because its only available on 5 or 6 exchanges in dublin, but the LLU boxes are pretty empty at the moment so im getting full whack 8 meg streaming down my line..

To help a few boardsters i asked what exchanges BT had them on and he said

tallaght, terenure, dolphins barn, merrion and a couple more that i cant remember right now

you would think they would advertise stuff like this for geeks like me rather than me having to find out on my own :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Big Chief wrote:
    you would think they would advertise stuff like this for geeks like me rather than me having to find out on my own :(

And then be hammered by idiots demanding that they get 8 meg connections when it is not possible for them to receive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

please Lucan... please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

How much is the 8meg service costing you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Exchanges being upgraded can be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

What is the upload speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Big Chief wrote:
    but the LLU boxes are pretty empty at the moment so im getting full whack 8 meg streaming down my line..
    Could you do a speedtest and post the results on here, thanks;
    http://www.speedtest.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

thats business though, im a residential customer, so residential must be offering the same at a 3meg price
    Daemonic wrote:
    How much is the 8meg service costing you?
    same as 3meg and talk package
    What is the upload speed?

1meg

Big Chief wrote:
    1meg

:D

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

rc28 wrote:
    Could you do a speedtest and post the results on here, thanks;
    http://www.speedtest.net/

came up as just over 6meg on the dl test :(, and 786kb on upload

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Go to ftp.heanet.ie and download a linux.iso as those speedtests can be inaccurate.

My old NTL line used to always say 2.something meg but I could download at the full 6meg

You may find you have the full 8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

So hold on Big Chief you are telling me when my exchnage is upgraded in Swords, I can call BT and they will upgrade my line to 8meg with no increase in my monthly bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Hmm interesting. I may just see if i can get my service upgraded/ at least find out the cost.

Is the upgrading work finished or is it in progress? Any one know?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wish eircom would get the finger out and upgrade their exchanges, how long more are we all goin to be left on 1mb to 3mb connections for, almost 2 years now without a single upgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Gonzo wrote:
    wish eircom would get the finger out and upgrade their exchanges, how long more are we all goin to be left on 1mb to 3mb connections for, almost 2 years now without a single upgrade!

Hows about upgrading all exchanges to be bitstream enabled. I think that would be nicer for the poor folks who are still struggling with crappy wireless alternatives.

Is it that big of a job to upgrade an exchange? Or is it just Eircom just won't pull the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Pity, I find out about this just when I'm moving out of my place. I was on the Terenure exchange.

But lucky for me I'm moving to an area with Smart.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

thats just depressing. How come Magnet can bring 10Mbit in Lucan and not BT :(

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Surprised there hasn't been more posts on this. I e-mailed them yesterday to see if I'm eligable. I'm pretty sure my exchange is Dolphins Barn. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

How come they're all in the big schmoke? lets just call the Country Dublin ffs! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

carbsy wrote:
    How come they're all in the big schmoke? lets just call the Country Dublin ffs! :mad:

Probably for the same reason that most broadband is launched in Dublin, because there is a greater population density so more potential customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Blast! When are they going to upgrade the palmerstown exchange! Every flipping company skips it over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭miftha

Has anyone contacted BT and been able to get a complientary 8mb upgrade? If yes what email address did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Heh. Lightening speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

contacted BT about the Swords exchange they said it isn't ready yet. One person told me it would be by the end of the month someone in else in BT said it would be in the next three months!!!!

Anyone get any more answers?? it really depends who you get through too on the line some seem to know whats going on others have no clue. Have a tip for you ask them about the LLU upgrade and if you they put you on hold for a second they don't have a clue and therefore forget about asking them anything.

One guy I spoke to confirmed what has been said on here the 8mb broadband will be the same price as the 3mb at the moment. So even if your on 2mb like I am its a relatively painless jump of €10 to go from 2mb to 8mb.

He told me it would take a min of 5 days for the switchover to the new BT exchanges and worst case scenerio being quoted is three weeks without internet.

One guy I spoke to confirmed what has been said on here the 8mb broadband will be the same price as the 3mb at the moment. So even if your on 2mb like I am its a relatively painless jump of €10 to go from 2mb to 8mb.

thats good news

He told me it would take a min of 5 days for the switchover to the new BT exchanges and worst case scenerio being quoted is three weeks without internet.

:confused: does that mean when there upgrading the exchange or when you want to get upgraded to 8meg:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

when your getting upgraded they have to turn off your connection to the eircom exchange and then reconnect you to their exchange.

So its only when you request the upgrade to 8mb that you will have to be without internet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

when your getting upgraded they have to turn off your connection to the eircom exchange and then reconnect you to their exchange.
    What if you are already on LLU? Anyone know if there would be any break in access then? I guess i should really just ring them but it's hard to get home on time to ring them.

min of 5 days :eek: must try and time this when I am going on holidays upon the Swords exchange being upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭miftha

Anyone know or ask if this is a permanent upgrade to 8mb at current prices? Or somewhere down the line will they be wanting to charge you 8mb prices instead of 3mb? A free trial to get you hooked and then up the prices if you know what I mean....

So its only when you request the upgrade to 8mb that you will have to be without internet

Is your telephone line rental still with eircon or does it move to BT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I e-mailed them on the weekend, it's been two whole working days and not a peep from them. They really don't want to sell their services...

Advertisement