Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got 8 meg BB from BT??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Emailing BT is like throwing a stone off the top of the grand canyon. You are pretty sure you wont hear it hit the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Is your telephone line rental still with eircon or does it move to BT.
    Im currently using the LLU service (2mb tho) and my phone is still with eircom.
    When you get the LLU service you can actually disable the voice frequencies and therefore not have to pay line rental on it. Wish i'd known that when getting the service as it means a while without BB to disable it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

Just rang them

Blessington - No
    Dundrum - No

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

kmick wrote:
    Emailing BT is like throwing a stone off the top of the grand canyon. You are pretty sure you wont hear it hit the bottom.

They really have some terrible business practises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

anybody hear anything on BTs progress on the exchanges they are presently upgrading, namely the one in Swords ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Is this upgrade only applicable for business customers?

See link http://business.btireland.ie/bb_internet_bb_LLU2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Auvers wrote:
    anybody hear anything on BTs progress on the exchanges they are presently upgrading, namely the one in Swords ;)

I send them an e-mail and 3 hours later they called back and also responded via e-mail. Am I just lucky?

In any case the answer about Swords is:
    8MB broadband will be available in Swords in October for a price of €40 per month.

You be that I'm going to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Awesome @ the swords exchange :D

Can I assume that I will be switched automatically, since I'm already paying the 40/month for 3mb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Im on the Dooradoyle Exchange (Limerick) which is also part of LLU.

Line test today by BT showed I would recieve the Max 8Mb however I would be without my current 3Mb Package for about 5 weeks if I was to switch.

If I wasn't a BT customer already it would take Approx 3 weeks.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I wonder if the 2mb package will go up to 4mb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I send them an e-mail and 3 hours later they called back and also responded via e-mail. Am I just lucky?

In any case the answer about Swords is:

You be that I'm going to swap.

cheers tex,
    looks like I'll be leaving UTV soon.........this is great news.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Is this business customers only ?

Anyone have the phone numebr or email address to contact or is it their general sales line ?

I just had a call from a friendly sales guy and Swords is up and running for 8 MB!

So I now have to cancel my existing broadband with Eircom and than in about 10 days I should have BT.

10 days without broadband.. My God.. Thanks Goodness for Vodafone mobile broadband to help me out...

Yup I'm a business customer, I forgot to ask if it's for private customers too. I was just too happy with me getting it, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

just got off the phone to BT.

Its an automatic upgrade for anyone on the upgraded exchanges, anyone on 3mb will be bumped up to 8mb at no extra charge. (\o/) . Unfortunately I'm on the citywest exchange and not the tallaght one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I'm on the BT 3d/l at the Dolphin Barn Exchange and I haven't got any increase. I've been told before that this line could easily handle 7d/l. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

dublin-texas, who were you dealing with got different answers of different people in there. So Swords is up and running and your upgrade order has gone through is that correct???

dublin-texas, who were you dealing with got different answers of different people in there. So Swords is up and running and your upgrade order has gone through is that correct???

I can't remember his name, but he is going to call me back today when he has got my eircom phone bill he needs as proof for something.

My order has been processed according to him.

But my upgrade has not gone through, as I said, I have to cancel my Eircom broadband and than it will take about 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Got an email from BT about the Swords Exchange:

"Thank you for your email. The Swords exchange is LLU enabled. However, customers who already have Bitstream BB with BT will not automatically be upgraded to the LLU 8Mb speed. If you want to avail of LLU BB (8Mb), you will have to cancel your Bistream BB and when the Cancellation is complete (5 working days), you will have to place a new order for LLU BB with Sales, which will take a further 2-3 weeks. Therefore, you could experience 3-4 weeks of BB downtime."

just been toldthat i have to disconnect the internet with BT then ring up and order the 8mb with a €45 connection fee which seems like a joke

There seems to be some inconsistencies in what BT are telling people. I'm (pretty sure) on the Dolphin's Barn exchange and have the business 3MB package, but everything is the same as usual :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

rc28 wrote:
    Could you do a speedtest and post the results on here, thanks;
    http://www.speedtest.net/

Them sites are useless, try download/upload on usenet. Thats a better way to test your speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

So anyone care to guess when other counties could get 8mb

I currently have 3mb with BT in Carlow

Probably when hell freezes over :( Countryfolk have a bad deal out there.

Actually, I was curious, if someone's ringing BT tomorrow, could they ask if there'll be a new cap, lord knows they're nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Elessar wrote:
    Awesome @ the swords exchange :D

Can I assume that I will be switched automatically, since I'm already paying the 40/month for 3mb?
    No, there will be no automatic upgrades on this as the 8M is an LLU product and you are on a bitstream product. They need to cancel the bitstream with eircom first, then unbundle your line and re-connect as an LLU customer.

The €40 a month charge is also most likely excluding VAT as it's for business and I don't see any mention of line rental which I would assume will also be added. If this is the case then the true price would be close to €80 a month for 8M, no cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

is there any official package details from BT being released about this package?

jor el wrote:
    No, there will be no automatic upgrades on this as the 8M is an LLU product and you are on a bitstream product. They need to cancel the bitstream with eircom first, then unbundle your line and re-connect as an LLU customer.

The €40 a month charge is also most likely excluding VAT as it's for business and I don't see any mention of line rental which I would assume will also be added. If this is the case then the true price would be close to €80 a month for 8M, no cap.

I agree, the LLU process is why I had to disconnect the Eircom broadband first and than they will unbundle me (hopefully within 10 days).

In respect of the monthly fee, it's PLUS Vat and PLUS Line rental (this is a business product and you need to provide either CRO or VAT number to get it). Close to 80€ is correct (but it is the same as with Eircom but higher speed and no cap).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Jeebus their phone support is brutal !!!! I just rang BT to find out if I could u/g to the new 8Mb system and she said it would be about a month before my exchange - Swords Bridge Street - would be upgraded.

Fine, so I asked her about the time involved from going from my current IOL 3Mb service and she said that IOL is a dial-up service and I would have to sign with BT and be without BB for 2 weeks ?! I tried to explain I had 3Mb Broadband and not dial-up but she insisted that what I have is IOL dial-up access !

Anyway long and short is they are gradually upgrading the Swords exchange and it'll be another month or so . . . :(

ZEN

they took an order from me for Swords earlier today and now the net is gone...........................................and they've told you LLU in Swords isn't ready yet what the hell are they connecting me too then................

Its a different story from every different person you ring in there. Has anyone else had 8mb upgrade order accepeted for Swords or has some muppet just disconnected me from the eircom exchange to connect me to nothin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are BT warning people that their line may not be capable of the 8Mb? You really would want a very good line to get that speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

they took an order from me for Swords earlier today and now the net is gone...........................................and they've told you LLU in Swords isn't ready yet what the hell are they connecting me too then................

Its a different story from every different person you ring in there. Has anyone else had 8mb upgrade order accepeted for Swords or has some muppet just disconnected me from the eircom exchange to connect me to nothin

I'm in Swords. I rang up and was told it's available. Whether you are an existing BT customer or not and wish to get 8MB you have to be dis-connected and then re-connected which they told me can take up to 3 weeks! You are basically cancelling your contract I was told and setting up a new one.

He wasn't "selling" it to me at all - got the impression he was putting me off to be honest. He said you'd have to pay a connection charge but the price wouldn't increase per month from the existing package. If that's the case they should upgrade everyone and tell them when they'll be doing it so theyh can expect an "outage" - we're already lagging behind sooooooooo many countries as regards broadband speeds as it is!

Advertisement