Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got 8 meg BB from BT??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I've a bad feeling about this shower. I think I'll wait - 3Mb has been ample for me up until now - maybe Eircom will bring out an 8Mb service to compete ! I'll leave it till next year and then try again I think. I've heard enough horror stories about BT to put me off for life - maybe I'll heed the warnings :cool:

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ZENER wrote:
    I think I'll wait - 3Mb has been ample for me up until now

I can't, I have 1MB dl speeds in work and i've gotten too used to it :(

Any word on what the pricing will be? Will it be the same as the 3Mb package?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dub45 wrote:
    Are BT warning people that their line may not be capable of the 8Mb? You really would want a very good line to get that speed.

Adsl2 is different to adsl. My line can get just over 3mbps on adsl but over 14 on adsl2 apparently.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Adsl2 is different to adsl. My line can get just over 3mbps on adsl but over 14 on adsl2 apparently.

I know its different - I am on it myself with Smart but it is not in practise the miracle worker it is claimed to be - you only have to look at the number of requests on the Smart forum for speed downgrades - and the Smart staff will tweak a line for you to get the best compromise I cannot imagine BT being so accommodating. A significant number of Smart customers cannot get even the basic 4Mb because of their lines. I doubt very much if your line will be capable of such a jump on adsl2.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dub45 wrote:
    I know its different - I am on it myself with Smart but it is not in practise the miracle worker it is claimed to be - you only have to look at the number of requests on the Smart forum for speed downgrades - and the Smart staff will tweak a line for you to get the best compromise I cannot imagine BT being so accommodating. A significant number of Smart customers cannot get even the basic 4Mb because of their lines. I doubt very much if your line will be capable of such a jump on adsl2.

I don't know nearly enough about this sort of thing to be perfectly honest. All I know was that I asked about what my line could take and I was directed to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

ZENER wrote:
    I've a bad feeling about this shower. I think I'll wait - 3Mb has been ample for me up until now - maybe Eircom will bring out an 8Mb service to compete ! I'll leave it till next year and then try again I think. I've heard enough horror stories about BT to put me off for life - maybe I'll heed the warnings :cool:

ZEN

I've had BT 3mb for years never had any problems, haven't needed customer support yet though

And not having a cap > *

I've had BT 3mb for years never had any problems, haven't needed customer support yet though

And not having a cap > *

My 3Mb connection (which has also been trouble free so far) was initially with IOLBB which was taken over by BT - so technically I am a BT customer as far as broadband goes - but still have an Eircom billed phone line.

Like yourself I've had no need of their tech support yet and yesterday was my first ever conversation with them. Based on that call and other reported instances of poor support I'd rather not deal with them at all.

Are you sure about not having a transfer cap ? I was under the belief it was capped at 30GB - at least it was when I started out. Has this been revised ?

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    My 3Mb connection (which has also been trouble free so far) was initially with IOLBB which was taken over by BT - so technically I am a BT customer as far as broadband goes - but still have an Eircom billed phone line.

Like yourself I've had no need of their tech support yet and yesterday was my first ever conversation with them. Based on that call and other reported instances of poor support I'd rather not deal with them at all.

Are you sure about not having a transfer cap ? I was under the belief it was capped at 30GB - at least it was when I started out. Has this been revised ?

ZEN

No there is a cap, but BT don't seem to give a fook about it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

anyone get it yet in Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Did someone mention NO CAP???? :)

Are you sure? :confused:

The amount that could be downloaded on 8Meg with no cap. :D

• Advertisement

No there is a cap, but BT don't seem to give a fook about it ;)

Have you breeched it often and by how much ? I've never made a conscious effort not to exceed it I just don't download that much. Most of my cap is used up when updating Windows XP PCs I repair. . . . mmmmm! Maybe I should start using it . . .

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    Have you breeched it often and by how much ? I've never made a conscious effort not to exceed it I just don't download that much. Most of my cap is used up when updating Windows XP PCs I repair. . . . mmmmm! Maybe I should start using it . . .

ZEN

I've definitely gone over it numerous times and so have people i know
    I have the Esat BT+ package 3mb.

Newsgroups ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I don't know nearly enough about this sort of thing to be perfectly honest. All I know was that I asked about what my line could take and I was directed to this.
    Interesting site. Says my line's good for 22Mb/s ADSL2+ :D
    I hope Limerick is first on the list of non-Dublin places for LLU unbundling - BT's offices are here after all... well, they have some sort of building in Castletroy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

ZENER wrote:

ZEN

Only occasionally. I have to restrain myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Raheen has had LLU since about the same week eircom launched DSL in Dublin (Aug / Sept 2002?). Esat then, now BT.

I know someone in Mungret that has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

watty wrote:
    Raheen has had LLU since about the same week eircom launched DSL in Dublin (Aug / Sept 2002?). Esat then, now BT.

I know someone in Mungret that has it.

Yep Watty beat me to it - the Dooradoyle Exchange is LLU ready :D

- Might cost you €70-€80 for the privilege though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've no DSL here at all. The local village digital exchange is only 900m as the wire draws and not even ISDN is available. But houses 200m away are on DSL from Raheen. :(

I get tired of hearing this mythical 90% figure. Only 69% have phone lines so if 90% of lines have DSL (which I disbeleive), then only 62% are served by DSL.
    If 10% of lines fail, then about 55% can get DSL.
    However some areas 40% of lines fail.

So if you can get ANY dsl, never mind LLU you are lucky.
    (Lucky is *ALWAYS* exceeding 50% correct calls on tossing a coin...)

Just got off the phone to BT there. I was enquiring about getting another line for a business I work for in Airside, Swords.

He said that they can offer us 8Mbs down, but they are currently only offering 512Kbs up? Can anyone confirm they have been offered 1Mbs up?

He also said the contention is 24/1

Can anyone run some pings to somewhere like google.com to see what the latency is like

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I was on to them and they told me that it could take up to 8!!! weeks to set it up. They told me my line could handle 8mbs, but I've been told that already. Its a long time to be without broadband. I'm in Dolphins Barn btw. It is a great upgrade though. I'm a home user.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Raiser wrote:
    Yep Watty beat me to it - the Dooradoyle Exchange is LLU ready :D
    So that's what they meant by "Dorradoyle" on the website. I'm on the wrong side of town though :(
    Are there actual different physical exchanges in Limerick city or is everything just in Roches St.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

rc28 wrote:
    Could you do a speedtest and post the results on here, thanks;
    http://www.speedtest.net/

sorry for long delay in response been away recently!

186164076.png

kleefarr wrote:
    Did someone mention NO CAP???? :)

Are you sure? :confused:

The amount that could be downloaded on 8Meg with no cap. :D

went over the cap every month, nothing happens

although they do reserve the right apparently to charge you never heard of it happening to anyone i know

Big Chief wrote:
    sorry for long delay in response been away recently!

186164076.png

Hey Big Chief, when you got this package did they say they where giving you 1Mbs up speeds?

I'm just wondering if anybody else here has been onto BT regarding the 8mbs upgrade. A down time of 8 weeks seems a lot. Thanks :)

L31mr0d wrote:
    Hey Big Chief, when you got this package did they say they where giving you 1Mbs up speeds?

they said it was anything upto 1 meg, but 512 was the promised speed if i remember rightly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Oh what a wonderfull company BT Ireland is.

So to get my 8 MB broadband I had to cancel my eircom broadband which I did. The forecast was that I will be without broadband for about 7 days. I can accept that because LLU unbundeling takes that long.

On Monday Eircom broadband goes and on Friday my line suddenly has DSL carrier again and entering the BT login details I can go online with 3 MB.

SO this morning I call customer service to ask where the other 5 MB of my 8 MB are hiding and I get told that BT Does not do 8 MB broadband in Swords until at least January.

So I had no broadband for a week and now I only get 3 MB.

When I told them that I know other people have 8 they got nervous and now they try to see what sales is saying to this situation but it does not look good.

Now that is depressing. I don't think they are keen for people to know about this or, ultimately, avail of it.
    That explains why their phone guy told me 8 weeks.
    Dunno what to do now.
    I'm on the BT 3mg package.

Just been onto them and the sales agent told me that when I cancel my bb with BT it is then up to EIRCON to unbundle the line.

I read what Dublin-Texas said in his last posting and he said that it couldn't happen and that D-T couldn't be on a enabled exchange. He didn't sound terribly confident.

He advised me to wait for a couple of weeks but they can never guarantee downtime 'cos its in Eircons hands. What a mess!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Go to ftp.heanet.ie and download a linux.iso as those speedtests can be inaccurate.

My old NTL line used to always say 2.something meg but I could download at the full 6meg

You may find you have the full 8

I tried to download the file you mentioned but I couldn't find it.

Also, I see that Crown Alley is in the list of exchanges on the BT page mentioned. I live near there so I'm going to ring them and see if they'll hook me up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

they've taken my order for 8mb in Swords. Order was placed on the 13th Septmeber my previous BT 2mb stopped working later that day as they said it would and haven't had the net since then. Rand up a few days ago and said my order was in its "final stages".

Now Dublin-Texas has been put on 3mb instead of 8mb, what the hell is going on.

Is there anyone on here currently with 8mb broadband in Swords cause think i'm going to ring up tomorrow and lose it with them

Advertisement