Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got 8 meg BB from BT??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

JJ wrote:
    I tried to download the file you mentioned but I couldn't find it.

He just meant browse around and find any big file to download, as heanet have extremely fast servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

LLU 8mb broadband is a 512/8128 RA package, speeds are not guaranteed and it will depend on your line's strength/quality. the further you are from the exchange the slower it will go and viceversa.

I cant complain...

187899990.png

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Any more news on this? Does anyone know if you have to request the upgrade or will it be done automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

You have to request it. But how much extra is it, tax and all?

Those who have ordered it, how much are you paying??/Did you pay for install??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dirtchamber

Hi
    Im also on the SWORDS exchange and frequently get speeds of up to 800KB/s.
    Im happy with this !

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

just spoke with the sales team, they advised they have to cancel your order and reapply. there will be a fee of €45 euro BUT if you have a modem already from them you dont have to pay it (i double checked that bit) - he did however warn that its possible to get up to 4 weeks downtime to reactivate the line...and they cant confirm why this takes so long or when the downtime will be minimised....

ug...i wouldnt mind 8mb bb...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So I finaly got someone in the technical department and she gave me the "speeds are not guaranteed" speech.

When I told her, that I don't think that they put me on the new boxes that do 8MB because 3 days of downtime is usualy not enough to unbundle me, she said, no you are on LLU2.

I told her that my Line Attenuation is 31.0 dB and that hence I should be able to get more than 3072 Kbps in the downstream even if speeds might vary.

She went on to explain to me that I should be lucky that i get a steady 3072 Kbps because of contention I migth actualy say only 500ish. I told her that a download rate is very well differnt from what my modem tells me the Line Rate is.

She said, that there is nothing she can do. According to her system I'm on LLU2 unbundeled and on an 8 MB line.

I just can't believe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Linky.
    Consumers will be able to get up to 8Mbps for €26.50 as part of a bundle with a 30Gb usage allowance while businesses can avail of up to 8Mbps for €40 with no download limits.
    30G cap at 8Mbps! You could go through that in 62 minutes, they just haven't a clue have they?

I don't think it's possible to get the business packages unless you are VAT registered too, only residential is available to the rest of us, so no chance of unlimited for home users.
    On Monday Eircom broadband goes and on Friday my line suddenly has DSL carrier again and entering the BT login details I can go online with 3 MB.

SO this morning I call customer service to ask where the other 5 MB of my 8 MB are hiding and I get told that BT Does not do 8 MB broadband in Swords until at least January.

So I had no broadband for a week and now I only get 3 MB.
    I know they've told you that you are on a LLU line, but I wouldn't put much credence in what a BT rep says, especially since you know you're only getting 3M. It looks like they ordered 3Mb residential for you and not LLU 8M.

Is your modem an ADSL2 modem/router? If it's not then that could explain why it's not syncing at more than 3M. If you log into the router, what does it report the connection speed as? If it's 3M/384k then I'd say it's almost certain you are on their standard 3M package.

You can check for sure if you ring eircom and check the status of your line rental. If you're still paying rent to them, then it's not LLU. If you're no longer an eircom customer then they should be still able to tell if your line is a bit-stream or LLU BT line now. Make a bit of a fuss about BT, tell them you're thinking of coming back to eircom and they might be more forthcoming with information.

Hi, I dont think you were talking to Tech support, there are no girls in their department.

31 dB will give you a max theoretical speed or around 14 mbps but that will depend on many different factors.

jor el wrote:
    I know they've told you that you are on a LLU line, but I wouldn't put much credence in what a BT rep says, especially since you know you're only getting 3M. It looks like they ordered 3Mb residential for you and not LLU 8M.

Is your modem an ADSL2 modem/router? If it's not then that could explain why it's not syncing at more than 3M. If you log into the router, what does it report the connection speed as? If it's 3M/384k then I'd say it's almost certain you are on their standard 3M package.

You can check for sure if you ring eircom and check the status of your line rental. If you're still paying rent to them, then it's not LLU. If you're no longer an eircom customer then they should be still able to tell if your line is a bit-stream or LLU BT line now. Make a bit of a fuss about BT, tell them you're thinking of coming back to eircom and they might be more forthcoming with information.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to give Eircom a ring tommorrow.

I have both a D-Link 2740B and a BT Voyager 2110, both do ASDL2 and both show the same data.

In the modem it tells me: ADSL Speed (DS/US) 3072/384 Kbps.

So I talked to the 2nd person in tech support and they tell me again, no you are LLU2 I can see it at the gateway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So I talked to the 2nd person in tech support and they tell me again, no you are LLU2 I can see it at the gateway.
    Ah, here's a good question. Did your phone number change? If you change to Smart (LLU) you have to change your number and this, I believe, is because eircom own the numbers they give out, and won't let the LLU carriers use them (so the customer has to change his number). If your number hasn't changed, then your not on LLU yet. 5 days was also way to quick for LLU to be done, unless the eircom engineers had absolutely nothing else to do that week.

jor el wrote:
    Ah, here's a good question. Did your phone number change? If you change to Smart (LLU) you have to change your number and this, I believe, is because eircom own the numbers they give out, and won't let the LLU carriers use them (so the customer has to change his number). If your number hasn't changed, then your not on LLU yet. 5 days was also way to quick for LLU to be done, unless the eircom engineers had absolutely nothing else to do that week.

Hi

Sorry for being so rough, but this is not true, you do not need to change your telephone number and you do not need to have PSTN with BT in order to get their LLU.

In fact you can order only BB with BT if you like and leave your line rental with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to give Eircom a ring tommorrow.

I have both a D-Link 2740B and a BT Voyager 2110, both do ASDL2 and both show the same data.

In the modem it tells me: ADSL Speed (DS/US) 3072/384 Kbps.

Since you have a BT Voyager 2110 download DMT v8.07 from http://dmt.mhilfe.de/. Select command adsl info --show and if the result is G.DMT your still on ADSL1 aka eircon bitstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

actually there is a block of "older" numbers that do not work with smarts network (LLU) if you have been issued one of these you would need to ask for a new number off eircom before you could switch to smart, I know cause I have one of the "older" numbers....its seems to be some eircom sham.

My sales person is now trying to talk to someone who knows and than call me back today/tomorrow. I'll keep yous updated.

Praetor, seams there is now a girl definetly in tech support because when I called earlier, she answered again.

Maybe i should try to sneak into the Exchange and have a look myself :)

Since you have a BT Voyager 2110 download DMT v8.07 from http://dmt.mhilfe.de/. Select command adsl info --show and if the result is G.DMT your still on ADSL1 aka eircon bitstream.

If you dont want to download that file telnet the modem

telnet 192.168.1.1
    username: admin
    password: admin
    and then type adsl info --show

that will give you the info you need

My sales person is now trying to talk to someone who knows and than call me back today/tomorrow. I'll keep yous updated.

Praetor, seams there is now a girl definetly in tech support because when I called earlier, she answered again.

Maybe i should try to sneak into the Exchange and have a look myself :)

heheheheheh

I can promise you there isnt.... BT tech support are all blokes maybe he sounded girly!! :)

johndanielmoore and Praetor thank you for your tips to check the line and as expected it's G.DMT.

Praetor nope she sounded like a non native and it was a she! But giving the fact that I did not believe she was understanding what I was on about anyhow she might have been some girl pretenting to be Tech support.

Well finaly my sales person (who is great and had more knowledge than the person that "prentended" to be tech support) called back.

I'm on Bitstream, someone in order entry did an error in entering my order.

It's still a mistery to me how tech support and customer service could claim I'm on LLU2 when now clearly I was not.

In any case, all of you (specially johndanielmoore and Praetor) thanks for you help in convincing them they were wrong.

Now Monday I get disconnected from bitstream to get unbundeled, I hope it is not taking weeks ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Well finaly my sales person (who is great and had more knowledge than the person that "prentended" to be tech support) called back.

I'm on Bitstream, someone in order entry did an error in entering my order.

It's still a mistery to me how tech support and customer service could claim I'm on LLU2 when now clearly I was not.

In any case, all of you (specially johndanielmoore and Praetor) thanks for you help in convincing them they were wrong.

Now Monday I get disconnected from bitstream to get unbundeled, I hope it is not taking weeks ;-)

I had the exact same problem as Dublin-texas, tech support and sales telling me that I am able to get 8mb and then someone else telling me I wasnt. The "tech support" tried to tell me that my line was only able for 2mb bb even though I am currently connected at 3mb.
    Dublin-texas, I think I was talking to the same idiot in BT today who was actually on their sales team who tried to tell me today that I was on the ASHBOURNE exchange even though I live in Swords. Eventually, talking to customer care (dial 1904 from any landline) in Derry and agent there was able to tell me I was put on wrong package and they are sorting it all out for me. He did say that may be without BB for 4 weeks...

• Advertisement

zefer wrote:
    I had the exact same problem as Dublin-texas, tech support and sales telling me that I am able to get 8mb and then someone else telling me I wasnt. The "tech support" tried to tell me that my line was only able for 2mb bb even though I am currently connected at 3mb.
    Dublin-texas, I think I was talking to the same idiot in BT today who was actually on their sales team who tried to tell me today that I was on the ASHBOURNE exchange even though I live in Swords. Eventually, talking to customer care (dial 1904 from any landline) in Derry and agent there was able to tell me I was put on wrong package and they are sorting it all out for me. He did say that may be without BB for 4 weeks...

Hi

That prequal test is for bitstream and is not for LLU and though it can give us a notion it not to be used to prequal LLU lines. Nevertheless prequal is an estimation nothing more, run on a particular moment on a particular day.

The only way to know your max speed is by checking your attenuation and SNR Margin.

If you are prequalifying Green 2mb it could be due to a high attenuation, probably over 50 dB if that's the case then you will not be getting the full 8 mb, just bear in mind that for a 50 dB attenuation the estimated max speed is 4.9 mb.

Hope this helps

zefer wrote:

It is fun to see that the same error (i.e. putting on bitstream package rather than LLU and than claiming one is on LLU) has been done twice now.

The process in BT must be horrible if there is no quality controll of how an order is processed and executed. I have no brawl with the sales person but rather with tech support (or who ever she was) who basicly lied to me and treated me as if I was an idiot not knowing what I was doing. I had more clue about what was going on than her.

In any case, I'm looking forward to weeks of non broadband and than hopefully a good connection with 31.0 dB Line Attenuation I might actualy get some good speed.

I have no brawl with the sales person but rather with tech support (or who ever she was) who basicly lied to me and treated me as if I was an idiot not knowing what I was doing. I had more clue about what was going on than her.

In any case, I'm looking forward to weeks of non broadband and than hopefully a good connection with 31.0 dB Line Attenuation I might actualy get some good speed.

Hey again

I really dont want to sound repetitive nor rude but I can garantee 100% sure there are no girls on Tech support, the orders are placed by the sales representative at the time they took your details... hopefully it will not happen again...

Oh! and with 31 dB you will get probably full speed, so enjoy!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

Waiting on 8mb LLU BB at the mo just wondering will my current modem/wireless router settings work for the new connection. By the way I have the eircom netopia router thing from Harvey Norman/PC world

When i placed the order the internet light turned red,obviously due to my current connection with BT being cancelled and stayed that way for a week or so, now the internet light has completlety disappeared i take that as a sign that i've been completelty disconnected from the eircom exchange.

So whats the story what do you guys reckon will the internet just kick in one day or will i have to do something????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Waiting on my line to be activated before BT can check if I can get broadband.

Guy on the phone said as I'm in Dun Laoghaire, I can get the 8meg for the price of the 3meg..but he also said the cap was 'around 80gigs' :rolleyes:
    So €45-odd for line rental and an 8meg connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I rang the other day and the agent I talked to knew about this upgrade offer. He confirmed that it would take about 4 weeks to process. I'm still debating this. I'm thinking about giving it a go in a week or two since I'll be away for an extended weekend later this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

I send them an e-mail and 3 hours later they called back and also responded via e-mail. Am I just lucky?

In any case the answer about Swords is:

You be that I'm going to swap.

what email address did you use ?

or what is the best no to ring ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

They didn't send me a response and I e-mailed weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I assume this is all happening in the Dublin area for now. Wonder when it'll spread to other cites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

They didn't send me a response and I e-mailed weeks ago.

what email address did you send it to out of intrest

So I finaly got someone in the technical department and she gave me the "speeds are not guaranteed" speech.

I told her that my Line Attenuation is 31.0 dB and that hence I should be able to get more than 3072 Kbps in the downstream even if speeds might vary.

Hi DT,

i looked at my modem (bt voyager 2100) and this is the line stats i have as shown below copied and pasted if thats of any help ??

Line Mode ADSL2+ Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 02:09:21:34
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 6

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 8126 Kbps 827 Kbps
    Noise Margin 22.1 dB 20.3 dB
    Line Attenuation 28.0 dB 13.3 dB
    Output Power 0.0 dBm 11.7 dBm

Advertisement