Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got 8 meg BB from BT??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Blast! When are they going to upgrade the palmerstown exchange! Every flipping company skips it over!

Im from Palmerstown too! Do we really have an exchange? I thought we might of been leeching off Lucan or Ballyfermot.

Is there anyway I can find out what exchange I am on?

Palmerstown always gets ignored :(

I found this document online at www.comreg.ie Im not sure if this has been posted before though.
    Overall Implementation proposed
    Four Phase Plan 2007 - 2015

• Phase 1: Deploy High bandwidth IP/Ethernet Network to all sites
    with more than 2000 Working Lines (~240 sites)
    • Phase 2: Deploy PSTN Emulation server to provide for PSTN
    growth in Phase 1 sites
    • Phase 3: Retire Legacy PSTN equipment in Phase 1 sites
    • Phase 4: Retire legacy PSTN equipment in remaining sites

Minimum Speed 10Mb Download
    Required 2.5Mb Upload

SHANKILL
    BRAY
    NANGOR ROAD
    TALLAGHT
    CLONEE
    WALKINSTOWN
    CRUMLIN
    DUNDRUM
    MALAHIDE
    NUTLEY
    DUNLAOGHAIRE
    ROCHESTOWN
    PRIORY PARK
    FOXROCK
    NEWLANDS CROSS
    SANDYFORD
    TERENURE
    SWORDS
    PORTMARNOCK

CROWN ALLEY
    CLONTARF
    BELCAMP
    SANTRY
    CABRA
    BEGGARS BUSH
    SUTTON
    FINGLAS
    DOLPHINS BARN
    SUMMERHILL
    WHITEHALL
    SHIP STREET
    NORTH MAIN
    PHIBSBORO
    BLANCHARDSTOWN
    PALMERSTOWN!!
    COOLOCK
    RATHMINES

Exchange areas subject to review during detailed design phase*

I hope Palmerstown stays on that list :)

I found this document online at www.comreg.ie Im not sure if this has been posted before though.

I hope Palmerstown stays on that list :)

You have just made my day Wizard. Any time frame stated?
    Im from Palmerstown too! Do we really have an exchange? I thought we might of been leeching off Lucan or Ballyfermot.

Is there anyway I can find out what exchange I am on?

Palmerstown always gets ignored :(

The Palmerstown exchange is located on the Palmerstown side of the junction between Palmerstown and Ballyfermot.
    Just across from the industrial estaate and down the road from liffey valley.

Ah I know the place. Thats quite close to me then.

I'm not sure about the time frame. But it says
    Deployment scheduled for Q3 2007
    This in in relation to
    An exchange based Broadband Centric Network
    • 10GBit/s access available at 66 sites nationally
    • 1GBit/s access available at 240 sites nationally
    • Support for exchange launched High bandwidth Access (10MBit/s) Nationally
    • DSL growth and enterprise data services provided on new Network seamlessly

The four phase plan is from 2007 to 2015. So I'm hoping the Palmerstown exchange is next on the list. So its the start of October now. Anyone know how long it would take to upgrade this exchange if they started from scratch? I see loads of vans in there everyday, so they have the man power :)

So far this year they have 15 out of the 37 done. So thats 1.5 every month. So if we are last on the list, then we might see something in 15 months haha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

got the 8mb pretty happy with it ordered it from an original 2mb BT package. So broadband was cut off on the 13th of Sept. and was back up and running on the 5th OCt not too bad but wouldn't want to be without BB again for any longer worth the benefits though

Now downloading @ about 840 KB/s using flashget............sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Finally got my order thru yesterday after waiting for a stupid eircom ac number.

Now I play the waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Will this cut off affect your home phone in any way? Mine is with Eircom but my BB is with BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

bah, the bastids. Web site says Clondalkin so i ring up to ask why havent i got it and they say its because i'm on the Newlands cross exchange even though i'm beside the Nangor Road. :(

Wtf dont they say "Parts of" Clondalkin like they do for most other places??? fookers for getting my hopes up like that. :mad:

Scruff wrote: »
    bah, the bastids. Web site says Clondalkin so i ring up to ask why havent i got it and they say its because i'm on the Newlands cross exchange even though i'm beside the Nangor Road. :(

Wtf dont they say "Parts of" Clondalkin like they do for most other places??? fookers for getting my hopes up like that. :mad:

I feel your pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Just found this . more detailed than the business overview..
    http://www.btireland.ie/pop_8mb.shtml

Beggar's Bush exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 4, Parts of Ballsbridge, Parts of Sandymount, Irishtown, Ringsend

Clondalkin exchange:
    Clondalkin, Nangor Road, Ronanstown

Crown Alley exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 2, Temple Bar, Trinity College area, South Docklands area, Ringsend Road

Dolphin's Barn exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 8, Cork Street, Thomas Street, The Coombe, The Liberties

Dun Laoghaire exchange:
    Dun Laoire, Kill O' The Grange, parts of Glenageary, parts of Monkstown

Dooradoyle exchange:
    Dooradoyle, Co Limerick

Merrion exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 2, Merrion Square, Kildare St., Leeson St., Holles St., Grand Canal St.

Naas exchange:
    Naas, Co Kildare

North Main exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 1, O Connell St., Smithfield

Nutley exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 4, Merrion Road, Stillorgan Road, parts of Ballsbridge

Summerhill exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 1, Summerhill, Portland Row, Amiens St., East Wall,
    parts of Fairview

Swords exchange:
    Swords Co. Dublin

Tallaght exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 24, Tallaght, Kilnamanagh, Old Bawn, Firhouse,
    Tymon North, Kingswood, Greenhills

Terenure exchange:
    Parts of Dublin 6W, Terenure, Bushy Park, parts of Rathfarnham

on their BT@home site.
    http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_8mb.shtml

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm on the Roaches St. exchange in Limerick, my questions is...hoe hard would it be to get connected to the Dooradoyle exchange to avial of 8MB?

In other words, if i'm connected to one exchange must i always and *only* be connected to that exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I'm on the Roaches St. exchange in Limerick, my questions is...hoe hard would it be to get connected to the Dooradoyle exchange to avial of 8MB?

In other words, if i'm connected to one exchange must i always and *only* be connected to that exchange?

Impossible to get done unless you move house.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting the document mentions that the goal is a FTTC VDSL2 network with 25m/5m uncontended bandwidth.

It looks like Eircom want to get into the IPTV game.

They also mention that UPC is currently deploying 30m/6m technology (DOCSIS 3 I assume).

All very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

After a lot of problems (i.e. order entered wrong, than connected to bitstream, than dis-connected from it and unable to enter order new) BT finaly managed to get my order right into their system on Monday.

On Wednesday lunch time my phone line became dead, now let's see how long it takes them to connect the cable from one end of the exchange in Swords to the other end of the exchange.

My hope is soon but my expecation is 3 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

can some1 tell me how does the upgrade to 8 mb happen? do i have to ring and ask them or what?
    i have the 3 mb standard home package and im still at that speed
    im in the dolphins barn exchange

After a lot of problems (i.e. order entered wrong, than connected to bitstream, than dis-connected from it and unable to enter order new) BT finaly managed to get my order right into their system on Monday.

On Wednesday lunch time my phone line became dead, now let's see how long it takes them to connect the cable from one end of the exchange in Swords to the other end of the exchange.

Well I'm waiting 2 weeks now for them to send me the hw to set it up.

They'll be getting a call Tuesday to see what the deal is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 patmurphy

Anyone Know Any Hope For Finglas Area Peoples To Get 8mb Broadband Soon?

kaimera wrote: »
    Well I'm waiting 2 weeks now for them to send me the hw to set it up.

They'll be getting a call Tuesday to see what the deal is.

Hardware is not the problem (They send me the vojager and i have my own), it's the time it takes to move a cable from the eircom hardware over to the BT hardware in the switch. It is amazing that in this day and age it still takes weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is amazing that in this day and age it still takes weeks.

Its even more amazing that Comreg believe it does not take weeks and that there are no problems with 'unbundling 'any more .

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Its even more amazing that Comreg believe it does not take weeks and that there are no problems with 'unbundling 'any more .

I would tell ComReg about it once I know who long it took but telling ComReg is just like talking to a wall with the exception that the chances that the wall is talking back with a good answer is greater than with ComReg.

BT was of the opinion it takes one week, so let's see ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Walls Are Upstanding and Solid unlike Comreg .

Dealing with Comreg is like paddling barefoot backwards through malodorous manure .

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

My immediate reaction to this is one of extreme jealouy :-)

I live in Mornington Co Meath and am on the 3meg package- not even sure what exchange I would be on so if anybody could shed any light on this it would be much appreciated.

Any possibility that LLU will ever happen in my area? one has to wonder...

May be problems down the line for BT as more and more people complain about the fact that they're paying the same amount as those with a 5meg faster connection. What do people think?

EireEV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

EireEV wrote: »
    I live in Mornington Co Meath and am on the 3meg package- not even sure what exchange I would be on so if anybody could shed any light on this it would be much appreciated.

Enter your number in the Smart line checker here, http://www.smarttelecom.ie/howtoorder.html

The result will be a fail but it will tell you what exchange you connected to.

Bloody fools. Rang last night to see what my holdup is to be told that their credit dept have my ****ing order on hold :mad:

Guy on the phone said he couldn't see there was a hold up because everything looked in order :(

Arse.

Well there it is, yesterday evening my line became alive with a Line Rate of 8124 Kbps up and 827 Kbps down.

This morning my sales person gave me username/password and now i'm working on the BT line.

Given that Line went dead on October 24 and came back on Monday 05 November that is a little more than they forecasted but way less than Eircom wants me to believe.

So now let's hope that I get good performance out of this thing.

Nice one d-t; after much bitching about with security deposits my order finally went thru and I have an expected date of 23/11.

*fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

when speaking to eircom about a load of line problems ive had, i asked them to do a test on my line as i suggested its a poor quality line.
    the agent told me ive got a very good line that can support 8mb broadband.

i asked can i upgrade to 8mb, he told me not until the new year some time.
    i asked what can i get, he said 6mb but i need a business.

i rang bt, and they dont provide 8mb in my area! so i told them my line can support it, and they said not to us it cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

Is anyone else providing 6Mb + to LLU exchanges or just BT?

I just rang them there to find out about moving to the 8mb package, im already have BT talk + 3Mb on the Swords Exchange so thought it wouldn't be a big deal to move... but i was surprised how hard the dude was trying to put me off moving... first he said 2 weeks for eircom to cancel line... another 2 to install new LLU line... but could take longer... and i would have to Pay e45 to get the engineer to do the work....

I thinks thats disgraceful... i obviously want the line upgraded... but have i any other options.

Cheers
    SW

• Advertisement

SoundWave wrote: »
    Is anyone else providing 6Mb + to LLU exchanges or just BT?

I just rang them there to find out about moving to the 8mb package, im already have BT talk + 3Mb on the Swords Exchange so thought it wouldn't be a big deal to move... but i was surprised how hard the dude was trying to put me off moving... first he said 2 weeks for eircom to cancel line... another 2 to install new LLU line... but could take longer... and i would have to Pay e45 to get the engineer to do the work....

I thinks thats disgraceful... i obviously want the line upgraded... but have i any other options.

Cheers
    SW

I'm in Swords and it took about 10 days from the time my line went dead to get LLU 8 MB connection.

I think it's only fair from BT to set your expectations correctly as they mostley are at the mercy of Eircom there. Sure ComReg thinks it works in a day or two but in reality it takes way longer.

If you want 8 MB BT will give you 8MB, just be prepared to be without broadband for a while.

Advertisement