Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got 8 meg BB from BT??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

I'm in Swords and it took about 10 days from the time my line went dead to get LLU 8 MB connection.

I think it's only fair from BT to set your expectations correctly as they mostley are at the mercy of Eircom there. Sure ComReg thinks it works in a day or two but in reality it takes way longer.

Ditto. EXACTLY the same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

plenty of eircom hotspots around in the mean time!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

€42.50 for BB + €13.50 for line rental for this LLU service. These prices include VAT. (TOTAL: €56 inc line rental)

BT informed me that the actual download limit is 80GB for those on the new 8MB connection. This is automatically updated from the 30GB limit of the 3MB service. BT dont charge if you go over this limit (Take note UTV). But maybe if you really abuse this, they may penalize you.

They plan to extend the LLU 8MB service to all Dublin suburbs early in the new year. This will include Leixlip (I am pleased to hear) amoungst others.

There is no connection charge for existing customers of Eircom, Perlico, UTV, Imagine, Gaelic Telecom, Digiweb DSL that have their own modem.

Boopolo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I hope they get the Clonee exchange done sharpish! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

boopolo wrote: »
    €42.50 for BB + €13.50 for line rental for this LLU service. These prices include VAT. (TOTAL: €56 inc line rental)

BT informed me that the actual download limit is 80GB for those on the new 8MB connection. This is automatically updated from the 30GB limit of the 3MB service. BT dont charge if you go over this limit (Take note UTV). But maybe if you really abuse this, they may penalize you.

They plan to extend the LLU 8MB service to all Dublin suburbs early in the new year. This will include Leixlip (I am pleased to hear) amoungst others.

There is no connection charge for existing customers of Eircom, Perlico, UTV, Imagine, Gaelic Telecom, Digiweb DSL that have their own modem.

Boopolo

Does this apply to people on the 3mb only connection,really unfair if yee get 80gb limit and we get 30gb....

Feck that no limit for me anymore,I will bring this up if they go charging me If I go past 80gb :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Current available locations are...

http://www.btireland.ie/pop_8mb.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

auggie2k wrote: »
    Current available locations are...

http://www.btireland.ie/pop_8mb.shtml

Dooradoyle, Co Limerick

Not bad getting closer all the time,Castletroy might get it..

8mb must be awesome,1gb in 20 minutes....

HD video is possible with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Dooradoyle, Co Limerick

Note: It's UP to 8MB connection, contention still applies...

8meg_notice_button.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Dooradoyle, Co Limerick

To the best of my knowledge, Castletroy is not unbundled by BT. They'll only be offering 8meg on their already unbundled exchanges and need to upgrade the equipment.
    I wait to be corrected on this. The list of BT unbundled exchanges I have total 39 but it's a bit outdated. I believe they're near 50 now so Castletroy may have been done since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Boopolo

Can someone confirm this.

I'm in Swords and have rang them 4 times now, twice i've been told I could get the 8Mb service, twice i've been told I can't. I pretty much live a stones throw from the town center so I can't see what the problem is. They are saying i'm not on the correct exchange, but won't give me any details as to what areas of Swords are actually being serviced with this package.

Does anyone know what areas of Swords can actually avail of this 8Mb service

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Not sure what you want confirmed, L31mr0d.
    I can confirm what you quoted me on (it's on the BT website (except the 80GB limit which BT confirmed on phone))

With regards to whether you can get 8GB at any paticular address, I have no idea. If you are pretty close to the exchange, I cannot see any problem. But its not as the crow flies. Its cable length.

Boopolo

Not sure what you want confirmed, L31mr0d.
    I can confirm what you quoted me on (it's on the BT website (except the 80GB limit which BT confirmed on phone))

The reason I asked is that a lot of the time I hear people provide this information but its usually anecdotal. I rang BT myself and they said the cap is 30GB, I rang again later, and they confirmed the cap was 30GB, so I wanted to know if someone else had been told the cap is 80GB. Also, depending on who you talk to, people will tell you you will get charged for going over the cap, others will tell you you won't. I just wanted confirmation on your information from another source to back it up.

Regardless, i've been told my line is not on the right exchange to avail of this service and to try again in a few months :(

EDIT: I also asked about going over the cap, the BT guy said that you won't be charged for the first 3 months of going over the cap, but on the 4th you will be sent a warning and they will reserve the right to charge you 1c per MB over for every month after that that you go over the cap.

L31mr0d,

I first rang to check whether 8MB LLu was coming to my area. He quoted the up and running list as being on their website. So enquired what exchanges were due to be upgraded in the coming months. He left me on hold while he enquired, and then came back and told me that all the populated areas around Dublin were up for Upgrading in the coming months. He said Leixlip was on the list for the new year.

We spoke about limits and he said 3mb connection had 30GB. When you upgrade it is same I suppose. Then he said: 'wait, Oh no, the new 8MB connection's limit is 80GB'.

L31mr0d, You should ring them again, and tell them your friend has been told by them that the new 8MB LLU service has an 80GB limit. If he says no, it is 30GB. Ask him to re-check he information and have it confirmed. Ask him his full name, and IM it to me please.

Boopolo

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I'm in Swords and have rang them 4 times now, twice i've been told I could get the 8Mb service, twice i've been told I can't. I pretty much live a stones throw from the town center so I can't see what the problem is. They are saying i'm not on the correct exchange, but won't give me any details as to what areas of Swords are actually being serviced with this package.

live in rivervalley in swords myself, they rang me on tuesday saying that they could offer me the 8mb bundle for 56€ and they will upgrade me from 3mb - 8mb in 30minutes provided then hold the line rental also... they didnt mention the cap but if i release the line from eircom to them then they said they will reckon i should have the 8mb by min january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:( Missed the delivery of my modem & router yesterday so won't be able to test for active broadband until Sunday when I get back.

*fingers crossed*

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I had a call from a sales rep too with the same offer which I've taken them up on as they are cheaper than Eircom for ... well, everything it seems.

kaimera wrote: »
    :( Missed the delivery of my modem & router yesterday so won't be able to test for active broadband until Sunday when I get back.

*fingers crossed*
    :'(

No DSL light on my voyager modem. Rang BT and my bb order is complete so I've to just check it again when I get home this evening and call back for them to log a fault if it still isn't working.

I assume that I'll be charged for them fixing a fault [if any]?

I can see them sending out an engi to set it up for me and trying to charge me or it. I'm not an idiot ffs, there is only one phone socket in the apt and I'm using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

kaimera wrote: »
    :'(

No DSL light on my voyager modem. Rang BT and my bb order is complete so I've to just check it again when I get home this evening and call back for them to log a fault if it still isn't working.

I assume that I'll be charged for them fixing a fault [if any]?

This also happened to me. They contacted an Eircom engineer to send a signal from the exchange back to my line to see where the problem was. I was away for a few days but when I came everything was working fine. I haven't been charged anything yet so fingers crossed.

kyub wrote: »
    This also happened to me. They contacted an Eircom engineer to send a signal from the exchange back to my line to see where the problem was. I was away for a few days but when I came everything was working fine. I haven't been charged anything yet so fingers crossed.
    Thanks kyub.

It may wait until I finish work. Hope it's something easy to fix.

I'm sorry to turn this into my troubleshooting thread but it is about BT's LLU product.

I tried the main phone socket in the apt and I can get a dial tone on a phone but still no DSL light on the modem.

On the socket in my room, I don't get either. I've re.wired the socket a few times and still nothing.

BT can't/won't log a fault until their system has my 'talk' order as complete so I've to wait a day or two.

So I'm looking at checking the wiring in the apt tonight & tomorrow and hope I can fix the socket in my room. Oh, and pray I don't need an engi visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Douglas Co.Cork:
    COMING SOON

I'm sure that there are places in Kilkenny City that are on LLU exchanges now.
    Do I just ring to ask to put on the list or is there somewhere you can check/register your interest online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kleefarr wrote: »
    Douglas Co.Cork:
    COMING SOON

I'm sure that there are places in Kilkenny City that are on LLU exchanges now.
    Do I just ring to ask to put on the list or is there somewhere you can check/register your interest online?

The exchange in Kilkenny town is unbunded by BT already.

\o/ yay!

Came home and the DSL was synched up. Have a few too many updates to get for my old lappy to get a proper speedtest rating so I'll try later.

Modem gives me a dl of 7200 so I'm happy with that.

splinter wrote: »
    live in rivervalley in swords myself, they rang me on tuesday saying that they could offer me the 8mb bundle for 56€

goddamit :mad: I must be on the only exchange in Swords that can't avail of this service. A few of my friends have it from varying parts of Swords (boroimhe, jugback, near the pav, applewood) and now you have confirmed Rivervally, yet when I ring them they keep telling me i'm on the wrong exchange :mad: Its like they've updated every exchange in a circle around where I live and left which ever one i'm on out of the loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

splinter wrote: »
    live in rivervalley in swords myself, they rang me on tuesday saying that they could offer me the 8mb bundle for 56€ and they will upgrade me from 3mb - 8mb in 30minutes provided then hold the line rental also... they didnt mention the cap but if i release the line from eircom to them then they said they will reckon i should have the 8mb by min january

I am a bit confused here, do they now connect you to 8mb within a half an hour if you already have the 3mb + line rental from BT? or does it still take 2 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The reason they're launching in Dublin is they've already got easy fiber access into those exchanges. Also the number of business users and population density puts it top of the list.

You can expect Cork to be next on the list for similar reasons. Churchfield, Wellington Road and Quaker Road tend to be top of most operator's lists due to a combination of population density, number of businesses and ease of fiber access.

The BT Ireland network runs over former Esat Telecom fiber routes which follow the railways and the canals and former Ocean Telecom (ESB) routes which run over the ESB pylons along side 220,000 volt power lines! As they're fiber optics i.e. glass, they don't have any ability to conduct electricity so are perfectly safe.

So, you can expect unbundling to happen along those network routes first.

So, for towns further away from the BT "Grid" you'll be likely to wait longer as they'll need to invest in purchasing space on existing networks or laying new fiber to access the exchanges. They may also have access to the MANs (Metropolitian Area Networks) etc

Smart make extensive use of the Metropolitan area networks and ESB's fiber networks too and their DSL speeds are fantastic!

Once we start to see speeds crank up, it should wake eircom out of their slumber too, so you might finally see eircom rolling out ADSL2+.

So far only Smart and Magnet are using ADSL2+, clearly BT now join the club.

ADSL2+ not only gives you higher speeds it also works much more effectively over longer phonelines. So, people in marginal DSL areas who are too far from the exchange to get "classic ADSL" services may see services becoming available. Although, it's going to be a while until the LLU operators get to more marginal areas, so you could be waiting for eircom to get ADSL2+ rolled out!

UPC (the new owner of NTL Ireland and Chorus) is also lashing up to 1billion euro into their network! Which is one of the biggest telecoms investments since Telecom Eireann's digitalisation projects in the 1980s. You can expect to see some interesting products from them too in the short to medium term on cable.

So, in general things might be FINALLY looking up from a speed perspective in urban areas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

Auvers wrote: »
    I am a bit confused here, do they now connect you to 8mb within a half an hour if you already have the 3mb + line rental from BT? or does it still take 2 weeks?

I don't think it's that quick. I've got 2mb + line rental with them already and to get 8mb I have to cancel my current contract (with BT) which takes "up to five days" and then they put through a new order for 8mb, which from people's experiences on here should take about 10-12 days. BT quote "up to a month" for the whole process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Thanks Tripswitch. I thought that alright so it looks like I wont be getting 8meg. I wouldn't be able to live without BB for 2-4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The exchange in Kilkenny town is unbunded by BT already.

And I'd say I'm less than 200 meters from the rail line.
    I remember doing a speed check on some site that told you what your line was capable of. Can't remember what it was now. Think it said I could avail of just under a 10MB connection.

Guess I'm only dreaming. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm in Ridgewood, just been told on phone that I will be autmoatically upgraded to 8Mb on 1st January (operator said this was agreed with the regulator) but to upgrade now they would have to disconnect my service and it might be up to 3 weeks before I'd have service again.

I'm a BT customer currently with a 3Mb line.

Advertisement