Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got 8 meg BB from BT??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Solair wrote: »
    The reason they're launching in Dublin is they've already got easy fiber access into those exchanges. Also the number of business users and population density puts it top of the list.

So, you can expect unbundling to happen along those network routes first.

You're correct about the customer base and the population density being the reason for doing the cities and large exchanges first. The lack of fibre access doesn't come into it for BT though.

BT will only be rolling out this product in the 40 - 50 exchanges that they have already unbundled so they already have good fibre access into these exchanges.

They're unlikely to unbundle any more exchanges unless they are on/close to their own fibre network or the exchanges are big enough to justify extending their own fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tripswitch

I'm in Ridgewood, just been told on phone that I will be autmoatically upgraded to 8Mb on 1st January (operator said this was agreed with the regulator) (...)

Does anyone know if that's the case for the other exchanges (that currently offer 8mb)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I'm in Ridgewood, just been told on phone that I will be autmoatically upgraded to 8Mb on 1st January (operator said this was agreed with the regulator) but to upgrade now they would have to disconnect my service and it might be up to 3 weeks before I'd have service again.

I'm a BT customer currently with a 3Mb line.

Jesus, there seems to be inconsistencies here. I rang up 2 days ago and the girl said I'll have it in 5 days and I won't be disconnected?

Is this true or do they not know what they are talking about?

I'm not disconnected and have the 3MB package and live in Holywell in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

I signed up for the 3mb including line rental for €56 over a week ago. I did this because the sales guy informed me that I could have it upgraded free to 8mb in the new year (Leixlip exchange).

Today I got details by post (modem settings) of the change over from UTV in 5 days. On the letter it stated it was a 2mb connection (€32.50), and there was no mention of line rental at all. Rang sales and a girl informed me that I could take the 2mb and have it upgraded to 3mb. I asked about the line rental, as I requested they take over my line from UTV and my half price rental. She said I could pay UTV for the line rental. I said no. I said this is not what I agreed to.
    I asked her what was going on in there office as different members of the public are being told different things from different staff. She said she would get the guy I booked with to ring me later. He did not ring me back. I do have his direct line so will call him Monday. This is the same guy who said the new 8mb connections have 80GB DL limit. I do not see this information written on the internet anywhere. This information was given to me after being briefly put on hold.

I asked her when she rekoned that Leixlip was going 8GB. She said it wasnt. I said OMG the guy had told me after talking to technical department that Leixlip was on the next phase of LLU 8mb. How do I actually find out if Leixlip exchange is unbundled by BT? I beleive that BT have 40 echanges unbundled but they dont seem to publish the names of all of the 40.

Boopolo

boopolo wrote: »
    I asked her when she rekoned that Leixlip was going 8GB. She said it wasnt. I said OMG the guy had told me after talking to technical department that Leixlip was on the next phase of LLU 8mb. How do I actually find out if Leixlip exchange is unbundled by BT? I beleive that BT have 40 echanges unbundled but they dont seem to publish the names of all of the 40.

I have a list of 39 and Leixlip isn't on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its more than 40, I believe Portlaoise was number 40 but they may be over 50 now .

eg
    Esat BT ploughs on with unbundling in Portlaoise
    April 11th 2005

Esat BT announced that it has unbundled its 40th exchange in Ireland, in the Portlaoise region. The exchange will go live on 11 April, enabling businesses and consumers in the Midlands to avail of the firm's broadband offerings.

However not all of the 40+ or is that 50+ exchanges that BT have unbundled ....mainly between 2001 and 2002 ......ARE DUE TO GET 8MBITS .

Ballinasloe is unbundled but not scheduled for 8mbits I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Carlow is on BT fibre, has been for donkeys years. No sign of them unbundling it though. Same goes for smart, they are on-net in Carlow yet no sign of the exchange getting unbundled.

We can get 10mbit metro though, but this costs a bomb.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Its more than 40, I believe Portlaoise was number 40 but they may be over 50 now .

However not all of the 40+ or is that 50+ exchanges that BT have unbundled ....mainly between 2001 and 2002 ......ARE DUE TO GET 8MBITS .

Ballinasloe is unbundled but not scheduled for 8mbits I think .

Right, I've updated my list and now I've accounted for 45 but I'd say you're right in thinking it's now 50+.

In reality I can't see them launching 8meg outside the cities and maybe a couple of the larger urban centres.

and BT are very relaxed ( for now) about the rollout.

I would think...based on what I have been told .....that they will be less relaxed next year :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i tried to sign up for the 8 meg on friday ( blanchardstown exchange ) and was told that my line was not llu and i could not get the 8 meg but only 3 meg , passed on that one for the time being which is a shame as i was going to get rid of ntl and eircom in one go.

anyone on the blanchardstown exchange and in the huntstown area get the 8 meg package?

• Advertisement

smart are in blanch , go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Clover wrote: »
    i tried to sign up for the 8 meg on friday ( blanchardstown exchange ) and was told that my line was not llu and i could not get the 8 meg but only 3 meg , passed on that one for the time being which is a shame as i was going to get rid of ntl and eircom in one go.

anyone on the blanchardstown exchange and in the huntstown area get the 8 meg package?
    Interesting. This page says Huntstown can get the 8mb upgrade. I'd call again to see you get a different answer. If that person tells you that you're not LLU again, kindly point out what their own website says and expect them to say "Oh, em.... well, let me see".

Just wondering if anyone on 3mb (BT package) in the Swords exchange has upgraded to the 8MB package and if so how long did it take from being disconnected to be connected to the 8mb package?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Looks like BT added a launch date for the blanch exchange.
    Blanchardstown exchange available from w/c 10th December:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 flametop

I signed up for an upgrade from 3mb to the 8mb on 7th november. (the day after i found this thread!! thanxs mr inventer of boards.ie!!)
    I'm on the blanchardstown exchange, living in tyrrelstown.
    The chap told me it would take about a month and that i will be, without a doubt, up and running for christmas.
    After two weeks being disconnected I rang to find out if there was an expected connection date. The chap told me there was "a problem with my order... blah blah.... we'll have to resubmit.... blah blah". I just felt like weeping.
    I left it a week and was told that the order is gone thru and i am just waiting for my back online date. Hooray for that.
    I'll post when i get a date or hopefully when i'm back online, at fooking warp speed i hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

flametop wrote: »
    I signed up for an upgrade from 3mb to the 8mb on 7th november. (the day after i found this thread!! thanxs mr inventer of boards.ie!!)
    I'm on the blanchardstown exchange, living in tyrrelstown.
    The chap told me it would take about a month and that i will be, without a doubt, up and running for christmas.
    After two weeks being disconnected I rang to find out if there was an expected connection date. The chap told me there was "a problem with my order... blah blah.... we'll have to resubmit.... blah blah". I just felt like weeping.
    I left it a week and was told that the order is gone thru and i am just waiting for my back online date. Hooray for that.
    I'll post when i get a date or hopefully when i'm back online, at fooking warp speed i hope!!

Pfft! Warp speed. India has better speeds and lower costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Looks like BT added a launch date for the blanch exchange.

yeh i noticed that today when i looked at the site again , signed up for a call back so hopefully i get a better response..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Anyone with the 8megs know what the cap is and if it changes at the end of each month?

Stupid online checker as me as using 45gigs for Dec telling me I've exceeded my limit :-/ I'm just about half that I'd say. Most of it was at the end of Nov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

The cap is no different that the 3MB package - 30GB per month and this resets the 1st of every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 alex07

Does anyone know if Drynam Hall is within the 8mb range of the Swords exchange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

auggie2k wrote: »
    The cap is no different that the 3MB package - 30GB per month and this resets the 1st of every month.

is it really limited to 30GB?

or they just say that?

because with NTL 6mb i know there is a limit but i have been much more over it hasn't happened nothing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I got a flyer through the door today to say that 8mb Broadband was now available in my area (Mulhuddart). I have been with UTV Broadband since Oct 06 and have never had a problem with the. I have a 2 meg connection with them. I seriously considering going with the BT offer. Would I really get the kind of speeds they are talking about though?? Anybody out my way have this 8meg connection and if so how good/reliable is it??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Reading this thread some people seem to have been told by BT that they would be upgraded automatically to from 3 to 8mgs on Jan 1st. Has this happened for anybody? I'm in Dolphin's Barn area and was hoping...

Reading this thread some people seem to have been told by BT that they would be upgraded automatically to from 3 to 8mgs on Jan 1st. Has this happened for anybody? I'm in Dolphin's Barn area and was hoping...

That won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I upgraded from 2 to 3 MB but the Sales Guy from BT said they did not have a date when i would move to 8MB.

In Blanchardstown exchange.

Anyone hear any more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

kaizersoze wrote: »
    That won't happen.

I'm and Eircom phone customer with IOL Broadband - 3Mb. I can opt for the BT 8Mb system if I jump to a BT line but I would be without BB for up to 4 weeks. Currently on trial is an 8Mb system in Blanchardstown where existing 3Mb customers are being trialed on 8Mb at no extra cost. However come April or May in Swords and many areas BT will extend the 8Mb system to all 3Mb customers regardless of phone company provided they are BT/IOL customers. This will happen automatically without intervention from customers and will involve zero downtime. This info is what is expected to happen and is not a guarantee it will happen on the dates mentioned but will happen.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm in Ridgewood, just been told on phone that I will be autmoatically upgraded to 8Mb on 1st January (operator said this was agreed with the regulator) but to upgrade now they would have to disconnect my service and it might be up to 3 weeks before I'd have service again.

I'm a BT customer currently with a 3Mb line.

My latest update (just off phone):

Exchange is being updated in Swords this month, will be available by end of the month.

I won't hold my breath.

There is no consistent information coming out of BT when you ring - I was told it'll happen (automatic switch over from 3MB to 8MB) come the 1st of January like an earlier poster was told. Then I rang up yesterday and was told April but nothing definite. So if you want 8 MB now you'll basically have to cancel your existing contract and be treated like a new customer i.e. wait 4 weeks or so to be re-connected - utter shte.

ZENER wrote: »
    I'm and Eircom phone customer with IOL Broadband - 3Mb. I can opt for the BT 8Mb system if I jump to a BT line but I would be without BB for up to 4 weeks. Currently on trial is an 8Mb system in Blanchardstown where existing 3Mb customers are being trialed on 8Mb at no extra cost. However come April or May in Swords and many areas BT will extend the 8Mb system to all 3Mb customers regardless of phone company provided they are BT/IOL customers. This will happen automatically without intervention from customers and will involve zero downtime. This info is what is expected to happen and is not a guarantee it will happen on the dates mentioned but will happen.

ZEN

A customers line cannot and will not be unbundled without a specific request/order from the customer. Nothing will happen automatically.
    Zero downtime won't happen either.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    A customers line cannot and will not be unbundled without a specific request/order from the customer. Nothing will happen automatically.
    Zero downtime won't happen either.

Then why the fcuk are they telling this to people on the phone?! I was told that they are working on a "switch over" program at the moment and that they are working on switching people over without being discounnected for too long, not 4 weeks anyway!

Advertisement