Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Policing the N1/A1 Dual Carriageway

• 02-08-2007 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Just wondering how the new N1/A1 cross border dual carriageway between Dundalk and Newry will be policed. Is there a junction at the border to allow each police force to turn back or wiil they have to cross over the border to do a u-turn? Or will the GS and PSNI work in combined units?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Doubt it will be any different as it currently stands. Once you have a 'yellow plate' as you cross the border (heading south) it would appear you have nothing to worry about. Just how it looks to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i think the op means when a psni car say is patrolling for speeders or whatever can it come down right to the border and then turn back or does it have to travel over the border into the republic to find a off ramp to turn back and vice versa.

its a good question especially with the row about the psni patrolling too far south of the border in some areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

I don't mind the PSNI coming south if the Gardí can go north.

They should sort out something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

From what I understand, there's going to be a joint initiative between the two Traffic Corps divisions within the next month or so. Several political and police sources are pointing to a concord on a whole range of issues between the two forces in the not so distant future as a result of continuing North-South Ministerial Council developments. It thankfully won't be long until we have an all-island system of penalty points too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They might want to get that policing arrangement set up rather sharpish...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=atrrTDOPRfDA&refer=home

An all-island approach to this outbreak should stop it spreading here, but like in 2001, if there's an outbreak anywhere it will be every country for itself.

• Advertisement

Oh God, I remember those traffic jams getting into the county. I know it worked but it really was tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

If a police chase is is on the motorway do the police stop and let the gardaí continue or keep after them or what?

Yeah I think that's what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭gipi

I like the "gate" set-up in the central reservation on the N1/A1 which allows the police/gardaí to turn back at the border! Very politically correct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

They might want to get that policing arrangement set up rather sharpish...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=atrrTDOPRfDA&refer=home

An all-island approach to this outbreak should stop it spreading here, but like in 2001, if there's an outbreak anywhere it will be every country for itself.

:)
    A bit OT, but when the F&M outbreak was last here, I used to have to hide my food when I went to Newry for my Indian takeaway. I was driving a Volvo S40 at the time and I used to have to take the food out of the bag and distribute it in my spare wheel well in the boot! I felt like such a criminal!!

[edit] f**k Dundalk for not having a decent Indian takeaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

gipi wrote:
    I like the "gate" set-up in the central reservation on the N1/A1 which allows the police/gardaí to turn back at the border! Very politically correct!

I passed by there the other day, and that is how it is set up. You have the usual high tension wire across the median for the full length, save for a few old-school poles in the ground either side of the border, so they can slip in and out the correct carriageway.

I don't understand why we don't allow for breaks of the high tension barrier in the median for emergency service traffic.

Welcome as this new stretch is, its now no fun approaching first Newry roundabout from the south, merging two lanes of 70mph into one....the sooner a two-laned Newry Bypass and make that roundabout free flowing is opened, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

Dr. Dre wrote:
    A bit OT, but when the F&M outbreak was last here, I used to have to hide my food when I went to Newry for my Indian takeaway. I was driving a Volvo S40 at the time and I used to have to take the food out of the bag and distribute it in my spare wheel well in the boot! I felt like such a criminal!!

[edit] f**k Dundalk for not having a decent Indian takeaway.

Just want to ask you about the above, sorry I know its nothing to do with the original post.
    I get my Indian takeaway from The Punjab House in Dublin St, I find the food good but the amount of meat poor, A Chicken Tikka Masala with f**k all chicken for €12 is a little high. Where do you get your takeaway and what are the prices like?

Anyone see the BBC news from the North yesterday. It was showing some lad drink driving up in Armagh and he was trying to make it to the border thinking he was safe but the PSNI had the Gardí notified and yer man was caught.

Looks like they're gonna police it together fairly well then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

gipi wrote:

That's not for police - it's in case there is a country-country crisis; or some kind of breakdown (maybe even for F&M). Everyone needs the option to 'turn back' at the border of one country to another.

I don't like how there's no "Welcome to x" signs though. They should have some big monument or something going across the road - after all the peace and what its brought is monumental. Every other country would make a tourist thing out of it.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Didn't you hear Bertie announce a "peace monument" for the border a few months ago? Give them a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

MDTyKe wrote:
    I don't like how there's no "Welcome to x" signs though. They should have some big monument or something going across the road - after all the peace and what its brought is monumental. Every other country would make a tourist thing out of it.

I said the same thing a few days ago. It wouldn't take a whole lot to have a sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dr. Dre wrote:
    ...when the F&M outbreak was last here, I used to have to hide my food when I went to Newry for my Indian takeaway... I felt like such a criminal!!

Very irresponsible Doc. Indeed you were acting criminally!!

Advertisement