Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knockeen Hills poitin/poteen.

Options
  • 02-08-2007 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Just got the 70% stuff yesterday and I can't get why anyone would buy it for the taste, its like paint stripper!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Well it really only has one purpose: To get you absolutely bladdered.

I don't think the producers are too bothered about the taste when their customers aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ansionnachclist

Was drunk one night and took a mouthful out of a strangers care after coming out of a night club. Wasn't too bad. For all I know, it could have been paint stripper. Don't know how strong it was, but didn't seem that strong. Wanted more but they wouldn't let me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Yeah, there's a few different varieties. I think it goes up to 180 proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paulcjohnston

I very much doubt anyone buys it for the taste... its all about the effect...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Hahano one in their right mind buys Poitin for the taste in fairness. There was some being passed around in college one night. I wasn't there unfortunately but my friend tried to convince me afterwards that it was 95%. Had a great laugh at that. Have yet to have any myself though. Prefer my whiskeys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's one of those things I always wanted to try, just to have tried it. My dad used to have a guy who always had a stash of it, but he was about a million years old and died of freakishly old age, so alas, that window has closed for me.

Is there really much of it around anymore? You don't really hear of it any more now that this Aul Fella generation is thinning out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

my friend tried to convince me afterwards that it was 95%. Had a great laugh at that.
    What is so funny about that? I used to have a still myself that could output 95% spirits. Though most illegal poitin I have tasted was nowhere near 95%, most gets diluted down along the way, like drug dealers cutting cocaine. It just tastes so disgusting people say it must be 90%, I reckon the strongest homemade stuff (besides my own) I tasted was 65-70%. Most commercial vodkas would be distilled to above 90% and then diluted back down.

Here is a 90% poitin which can be bought in dublin.
    http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Irish_Liqueurs/Poitin/Knockeen_Hills_Gold_Extra_Strength-z-product-recordid-218-context-distillery-category-6-country-0-brand-0-distillery-33-page-1.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

I like the description they give:

Tasting Notes:

Nose: Densely fruity, immediately attractive and intriguing, citrus zest mixes with rich summer fruit aromas; at various times melon, pear drops, grapefruit, raspberry boiled sweets emerge.
    Flavour: Warming and peppery, the initial shock subsides, and a balanced fruitiness shows through. With water, the middle taste is longer and reveals more fruit.
    Finish: Long, lingering, and warming with a dry and spicy tail.
    Overview: True to its heritage roots, and an ideal contemporary premium cocktail base.

I find this unnecessary when one word would have sufficed: vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

If your not used to high abv spirits and drinking them straight it is hard to get past the alcohol burn ... but if you take your time educate your palate you will eventually beable to anylise the taste and you will find these flavours that are talked about.

Ripe Fruit flavours are quite common and there is some excellent home made stuff out there but there is some dangerous stuff out there also so your better off to get the legal stuff.

Not wanting to bring the thread down or anything but a word of warning ... drinking high abv spirits in excess is a dangerous past time and has been known to lead to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

spirits in excess is a dangerous past time and has been known to lead to death.
    Death would be extreme of course, but bad blackouts would be very common, it is much harder to gauge how much you have drank unless correctly calculated/thought out, it hits very hard if undiluted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement