Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Days you will never forget...

• 02-08-2007 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Just watched some docu-drama about September 11th and realised that it is one of the few days in my life that I can recall vividly. I was in work, I heard the news and for the rest of the day a couple of workmates and myself watched the events unfold. I also seem to remember watching 'Newsround' when the shuttle blew up many years ago. A few more private days aswell but overall its a blur. So whats the most memorable day of your life?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I remember the shuttle blowing up too.
    Can't remember what year it was but must have been around the same time when steffi graff won wimbledon and in the berling wall came down. Don't know why it ffected me so much but it's one of those things I remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

God I remember that day well. Was a really sunny day, had just comeout of school and one of my friends ran into the yard and told everyone what happened. We legged it down to his house and couldnt believe the pictures we were seeing on Sky News, just watching these planes fly into buildings like a movie, but it was so real. Ill never forget it..

I remember the London bombings aswell, was at work and had just gone for teabreak - turned on the radio and it was dominating every station. Reminded me instantly of 9/11 but for some reason didnt seem as big of a deal, I have no idea why I feel like that though..

On the flipside though, there are the good days as well. Most memorable day of my life was the day Man Utd won the champions league final in 1999. I was only 12 at the time but I was always mad into football. I was bawling my eyes out eating a plate of chips when United scored. I jumped up, chips and bits of broken plate went everywhere and I was roaring my head off like a tool. I was still running around the place when I heard the commentators roar again, and my Liverpool fan of a brother shouting "Poxy f*ckers!!", I ran back into the living room... 2-1. What else need I say? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, September 11th 2001 was the same day i registered for college.

I remember a mate of mine texting me while it was happening. And i was nowhere near a radio or TV, and i thought he was taking the piss.

The thing i'll never forget about the day is walking by Star Records in Tesco Arcade in Sligo (a store which has since shut down). I remember people crowding underneath a small TV in the store - no one even looking at what was on the shelves. Felt so odd!

Besides that.. i remember mostly funny incidents when out with mates.

I'd imagine the birth of my first child or wedding day will be unforgettable but have not come to witness either, as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I remember Sep11 well. I had just started 4th class.. (Going into 4th year now ironically!)...I remember going getting ice cream on the way home then arriving home to be greeted with the TV on and the event being played over and over......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I was in an internet cafe in London when the events of September 11th unfolded and everyone stood up to crowd around the telly, mad stuff.
    A happier note would be my wedding day, family and friends around, brilliant day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

the day I rode yore ma !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

Moosejam wrote:
    the day I rode yore ma !
    ...Jasus. Just typical. Some gimp has to bring the conversation down... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

it was gonna happen, you did post in AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ill never forget new years eve 1999, i went to the pub with my brother and 10 mins later there was a power cut that lasted for hours, we all thought that the millenium bug was real and kicking in, missed the lighting up ceremony and couldnt get ant more drink in the pub, was spitting feathers. then at midnight on 01/01/2000 the deafening noise of fireworks was just amazing, i will never forget that day

• Advertisement

September 11th I was in Hogs'r'us, the Harley Davidson shop in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

The-Rigger wrote:

...Jasus. Just typical. Some gimp has to bring the conversation down... :p

down?

The ironing is delicious.

The begrudgers have arrived. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

The-Rigger wrote:
    down?

The ironing is delicious.

The begrudgers have arrived. :D

Those damn carnies made me do it.. They're still blackmailing me over the day I busted their newspaper scam.. a day I'll never forget if they get their way..

It's a ring toss game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I won't forget today.

One of my dearest friends rang to say her father has slipped into a coma and the family have been told to say their good bye's.

She's in Israel, her father has fought a short battle with cancer and I want to be there with/for her.

I've been dreading this phone call. The next will be far, far worse :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

i'll always remember 9/11. me and the sister had went shopping to belfast, i was in a small sports shop, they had one of the local stations on and at the end of the 1pm news, they said 'news just in, a light aircraft had crashed into the EMPIRE STATE BUILDING'. remember thinking that the pilot must be stupid to crash into one of the tallest building on earth.
    then about an hour later, went into a big clothes shop and they had loads of the big screens that usually show MTV, showing CNN, we just seen everybody watching them, looked up and seen the picture of the the two WTC buildings already collapsed and just a big smoking hole left.

for some reason we just said, lets get home and went straight home, we weren't finished shopping but it just felt like we should head home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Winning a competition to go the World Cup and then getting practically getting front row seats for the quater final between Argentina and Germany which followed a penality shootout. The suspense was unreal.

Woop 100 posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The day I discovered life outside of my bedroom....

Neil Armstrong's "One step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." never forget it.[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Caliden wrote:
    The day I discovered life outside of my bedroom....
    staying in masturbating all day every day cant go on forever, sadly* :(

hmm.. days.. days.. eh.. i guess sept 24th... hm..

*joke - also might not be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Mexicola wrote:
    Just watched some docu-drama about September 11th and realised that it is one of the few days in my life that I can recall vividly. I was in work, I heard the news and for the rest of the day a couple of workmates and myself watched the events unfold. I also seem to remember watching 'Newsround' when the shuttle blew up many years ago. A few more private days aswell but overall its a blur. So whats the most memorable day of your life?

I was waking up in a hostel in Washington DC and the noise from fighter jets over the city ringing in my ears. Will never forget that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

26/06/63, the first day of Kennedy's visit.

I'll also never forget 29/06/86. Flew from Majorca to Dublin via Shannon, flew from Dublin to Paris via Cork, watched the world cup final in my Paris hotel bedroom, traipsed up and down the Champs Élysées, and ended up up the Eifel Tower. Boy was I wrecked.

Oh yeah, 11/09/01.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

911. Was in new york. Queens. Crazy day. Remember the panic and confusion. And the lets get the fcuk outta here vibe.

Other than that my first ride. Again panic and confusion and lets get the fcuk otuta here vibe. She was a sweaty hairy mess.

Before anyone else. Your Ma!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I remember the London bombings, I was in a chatroom with a lot of English kids and I had BBC one on for some reason and all of a sudden Bargain hunt or whatever was interrupted for this story on the bombings and one guy actually said "do you think it's........ terrorists?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My fave memory as a kid was my dad waking me up to watch Argentina-England in 86 and seeing Maradona score those 2 goals.
    Houghton's goal against England in 88 & Bonner's penalty save in 90!

Sept. 11 and the Omagh bombings are 2 days I'll never forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Here's the Sept 11th Boards AH Thread.

And a news report from the early hours

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2001/0911/breaking36.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I remember the Omagh bombings quite well. I was about 14 and I was at this weird praise Jesus camp in the UK and they announced it at this praise service thing and then everyone said that's terrible and then continued being all happy clappy and praising jesus. I just looked around and thought, how can you be all happy after hearing that. That's when I lost my faith! I remember I was in RE class in 6th year when 9-11 happened and my RE teacher (the smug b**tard) was loving telling us! my leaving cert results was a pretty memorable day too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Setptember 11th, I remember I was at a vending machine when I guy I knew came up and said "The twin towers are gone, they collapsed!" Of course I didn't believe him until I got back to my house and saw the destruction on tv.

December 8th 2004, I was roaming around on a guitar tab website when next thing I saw breaking news headline "Dimebag Darrell shot dead!". I couldn't believe it when I read it and was gutted, my older brother was even more gutted when I told him later.

April 15 1912, the day the Titanic sank on her maiden voyage. I remember turning on the ol' morse code radio for some good ol' fashioned morse code music when next thing the show was interrupted by a breaking news morse code. I believe I was drinking sour turnip juice, which was the style at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Sept. 11th was a blistering hot day in Venice. Returned to our resort, Desenzano, Lake garda by train, and walked to a little shop just outside the station to get a bottle of water.
    Everyone in the shop glued to a little portable TV behind the counter watching the twin towers burning...surreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

01/05/94, the day Senna was killed

the day I had my first ****. I remember thinking it was gonna burst forth like a fire hose... I was so dissapointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

The 'Heisel drama' in Belgium...was watching something else when all TV stations did a Newsflash, and then spend the evening watching the tragedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Remember Sept 11 clearly. Was in work and one of the women was in a terrible state as her daughter was in New York and had been due to visit the twin towers 2 days before that. She was fine in the end.

Other days I will never forget are Ireland v Romania, 1990. Packie's save and Dave O'Leary's penalty. Also Ireland v Italy 1994, Houghton's goal. Both amazing days. I was only 9 and 13 on those days but I remember being over in my mates house with all my family and his family and both our fathers hammered! Brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

The day orincess Di died cause poxy sky one are always running some bloody stupid documentry on it every few weeks for the last 10 years, get over it shes dead :mad: rant over!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hillsborough disaster.

Italia 90 Penalty Shootout.

Gazza Crying.

Shels beating Hajduk Split in the Champions League qualifying rounds. Best feeling ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Bad times:(
    London tube bombings - but thats mainly cos the gf and myself had moved over to London. Strange times, I can't recall much grief but people did seem to be concerned how they would commute to work on the Monday.

Good times:D
    Dublin winning the All-Ireland in 95 and the cup coming back to my club that night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I remember Sept 11. too, i had just started in secondary school. Just as we were leaving someone said it to me and I thought they were joking. When I got home I could see the footage on TV through the window before I even opened the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

seansouth wrote:
    Here's the Sept 11th Boards AH Thread.

And a news report from the early hours

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2001/0911/breaking36.html
    That makes for harrowing reading. :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

The-Rigger wrote:

Got Goosebumps watching that, I dont think Ill ever forget that match. And the fact that it was such a storytale comeback makes it all the better as a memory.

EDIT/
    Also the game against Italy in the 94 world cup. We were waiting at holyhead for a delayed ferry, & loads of cars had the commentary on the radios full blast. Car park went nuts when Houghton scored. We ended up being loaded onto the ferry with about 10 mins to go, & got to watch the last 5 mins on a tv on the boat. Pretty surreal way to experience an Ireland game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

September 11th 2001.

I had only finished secondary school a few months before.

I was watching some crappy early morning TV when a message came up on screen.

Ended up watching TV3 News and Sky News for about 16 hours straight with my brother and one of his mates.

Seeing the second plane hit live on television is something that I'll never forget.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

september 11th, day of my debs. i was in trying on a tux when the news broke.. scary....

also December 8th 2004 the day dimebag was shot. horrid day :( was in college and went on the beer straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah its weird that, I can recall pretty much every minute of September the 11th. I think the fact that it was all filmed live and happening as we watched it was made it so memorable.

It was my first day in college and I got a phone call from my mother saying there had been a plane crash at the twin towers, for a second I tried to reason with her and get her to make sure it wasn't something like a stock market crash at the WTC. There was no TV's or Radios on in college so pretty much nobody knew what was going on.

I remember getting the bus into town with a few of my new colleges friends and getting another call from my mother saying the 1st tower had collapsed, I remember turning to my friends and telling them about it and one of them, a guy I would never see get upset, shocked or worried about anything over the next 5 years just say "sh|t happens dude, deal with it". Dublin city center was eerie that day, with people just standing outside shop windows watching the news on the TV not saying a word.

Aside from this, I vividly remember the day I proposed to my wife. Also the day after I nearly drowned, it is like what brat pitt says in fight club, after something like that the air smells cleaner, food tastes better and you notice little things that make you smile that you never had before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Daddio wrote:
    That makes for harrowing reading. :|

Yeah, brings it all back, that whole sense of shock and wondering what the **** was gonna happen next. Fingers crossed, never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Obviously wont forget 9/11. Just got on the bus, going home from school, and it was on the radio....surreal, just the whole bus really quiet, listening to what was happening.

The London bombings is another one. I was on a bus to Limerick that day, which proceedd to break down by the time it got to Heusten. So there I am cursing my luck that that happens, then we get on the next bus, news is coming through about the bombings. All I said to the lad beside me was "And I thought we had it bad with a broken down bus!". Also very much remembered for what a friend said. Although I wasnt there at the time, I was told later that day what was said(was going to his place anyway). As it was the day after London had won the rights to hold the Olympics over Paris, my mate goes "Jesus, France are taking loosing these Olympics pretty badly". So bad, but yet oddly hilarious at the same time.

Of course there are more private days too. Most of them revolve around music and seeing bands/musicians that I like. If I had to pick one, probably my first gig, Metallica in 2003. Not the best I was ever at, but just as a first gig experience, its something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Yeah 9/11 was definately a day for me.......spent the whole day riding!!!!

Mushy wrote:
    Of course there are more private days too. Most of them revolve around music and seeing bands/musicians that I like. If I had to pick one, probably my first gig, Metallica in 2003. Not the best I was ever at, but just as a first gig experience, its something else.
    that was my first gig aswell. t'was savage

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

9/11 has to be the one that stands out for most people. i was in Airlie beach in Australia and our room had been broken in to. at 4am some big ozzie police turned up to take a list of what was missing. he told us about a plane crashing and that's all he keep talking about but were so annoyed because we didnt care, my mobile had been nicked and i thought it was the end of my world but then the next day, we seen the newspapers and tv. i couldnt believe it was real, i thought it was some great big hoax, i remember the deathly silence, as all these backpackers were sitting glued to the TV drinking beer and the huge q's for the telephone, everyone was phoning home. i am actually getting goosebumps thinking about it.

there are many other days,i will never forget (some of them i wish i could) but all far too personal

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

I was in Turkey for 9/11, remember going to dinner in the evening not knowing anything and seeing the burning towers on the tv. The sound was off and the banner across the bottom was'nt in english so we had no idea what was going on. Rang home and got a brief explanation from my boyfriend but at that time he was'nt even sure what had happened (it had only happened an hour or so beforehand). Was really weird being in a Muslim country that week, we were afraid to react at all incase we offended people. Some of the locals were upset but others were celebrating :eek:

Watched lowflying US Army jets fly over us every day, multiple times, none of this was being announced on the news so we did'nt know what was gonna happen. Was pretty scary, never so happy to step foot on Irish soil in my life as I was coming home from that 'holiday'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

I'll always remember
    ** my kids being born
    **my dad waking me to tell me Diana had been killed
    **9/11 of course
    ** my aunt dying... she was the best!

• Advertisement
Advertisement