Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the big deal with using Moviestar??

Options
  • 02-08-2007 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi,
    I posted a thread earlier about finding a good DVD rental company. Somebody said Moviestar were cheap but people wouldn't use them because of their practices in UK.
    Ok they did not perform correctly but have they done anybody in ireland? please reply.
    Look at their media accusers in the Uk?
    BBC, ITV , Ch4 -dodgy phone ins (even saintly Richard and Judy)
    Mirror newspapers - Rupert Murdoch , Piers Morgan( share dealing)

Are these Conmen brothers so bad. I might try them for 7.99 Euro a month (Bargain alert, after all)
    Look at Bertie, everyone has to be given a second chance!
    Please let me hear from Moviestar users not just from righteous people who buy from Ebay and don't question where the goods come from, just to get a bargain (bargain, must sell, owner emigrating or in other words, just stolen need to get a gram of ...)
    Pajoe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not really a Bargain Alert, moved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wow I'm amazed this was posted in bargin alerts to start with,

pajoemccracken, have you perhaps tried googling moviestar.ie for C&C, I'm sure if people have posted before you';ll find the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nanoon

I've used Moviestar since last October , the first month was GREAT, all my top ten movies arriving out on time etc etc . Unfortunately since November its been issue after issue after issue and fobbing off after fobbing off after fobbing off . The worst thing is that when you make a complaint you’re responded to in such an efficient manner that you think , great this will be sorted , alas that is far from the case. So it started off that I would send two DVD’s back on the same day but they’re would be a week in the difference of movie star receiving one and then the other (odd) ok ok so postal services could be blamed ..SO I posted 2 letters to myself to test this , both arrived the same day. SO these issues since highlighted in January have been promised to be investigated but still nothing has changed .
    SO we got used to this but the biggest area of my issue is the fact that they INSIST on you having over 20 DVDs on your listing at any one time , since November I have only received dvds in my 15-20 list.
    None of my top 15 have arrived since November! And every month we’re promised “you are now a VIP” and we should see a “vast improvement in our service”
    But no ..
    Join Movie star If you want to watch old movies and only one a night for a high cost.
    I myself feel that if I’m spending €19.99 to watch old movies then I might as well buy them!, I could get 4 for 5 euro EASILY and their mine forever!

Unfortunately I cannot offer an alternative as busybee I have also used and found issues with the same , no new movies !
    When I find one I’ll be back ! until its the cinema for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's also their practices in Ireland, they were (may still be I don't know) buying Retail copies of movies instead of rental movies. Retail copies are a lot cheaper than rental copies, which was giving tehm an unfair advantage against all the competition, you can read about it here.

Having read all the bad press as a personal thing I wouldn't deal knowingly, with the Mc Connan brother's, especially having met one of them who I thought was an arrogant kn0b. Just my opinion though, sure if I met Dev, Ecksor and Co I may well never post here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Incidently, I'm with Screenclick who's service I've found to be great although the last month or so it had slowed down. This morning I got a mail from them explaining that there are problems with the local sortign office and if something doesn't show up after four days to get in touch with screenclick, the one time I had to get in touch with them they had the problem sorted straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I think they (Screenclick) are based in Blackrock. I'm working in Blackrock and we'd been advised at work that our post could be running 3-5 days late due to a dispute in Blackrock sorting office. That's the second time in a few months. I imagine it's playing havoc for a post-reliant business like Screenclick.

[For the record, I hve no connection with Screenclick!]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I use Moviestar, and have never had any problems except one disc that never reached me, i emailed them and they sent out another copy straight away.

My queue would mostly have older releases on it - so i'm getting the no.1 or 2 off the list each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I was with Moviestar for a good while but got pi$$ed off with them for few reasons;
    1. They jacked up the price and didn't tell me - only noticed it from my credit card bill. They sent me a email re this after I had raised the issue.
    2. Movies don't come in any order like your queue.
    3. Lot's of movies billed as coming soon. Six months later they were still coming soon.
    4. Generally took a week from when the movie was dispatched to when it was recieved returned by Moviestar. This is despite that I would return the movie the next day after I received it, and posted it in a post office only 100yards from their hq. (I know this means nothing- but post today means recieve tomorrow in Dublin generally). Dunno bout you, but this smells of congestion...
    If you could order what you want, and not have to accept a lucky bag selection, it would be a big improvement.
    Anyway, downloading movies (for rental) is the future.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

MOH wrote: »
    I think they (Screenclick) are based in Blackrock. I'm working in Blackrock and we'd been advised at work that our post could be running 3-5 days late due to a dispute in Blackrock sorting office. That's the second time in a few months. I imagine it's playing havoc for a post-reliant business like Screenclick.

[For the record, I hve no connection with Screenclick!]

got an email from them about it. I sent a dvd back nearly 2 weeks ago now and its still not back with them

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

I returned my last dvd to Screenclick nearly 2 weeks ago but still it says outstanding on my account. They admit they are having postal problems but even before this the service was very slow. On average i only get 3 dvds a month on the one at a time package, despite watching and reurning them the day after i received it. If there is postal issues they should suspend taking payments. Ive had enough and cancelled the account but they replied by saying they needed the last rental before they would cease taking payment.

A poster above mentions McConnon, does he own Screenclick or Moviestar?

• Advertisement

I returned my last dvd to Screenclick nearly 2 weeks ago but still it says outstanding on my account. They admit they are having postal problems but even before this the service was very slow. On average i only get 3 dvds a month on the one at a time package, despite watching and reurning them the day after i received it. If there is postal issues they should suspend taking payments. Ive had enough and cancelled the account but they replied by saying they needed the last rental before they would cease taking payment.

Im the exact same, had enough yesterday and canceled then switched over to moviestar for only €5 a month, i had a dvd delivered this morning cant ask for better then that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

A poster above mentions McConnon, does he own Screenclick or Moviestar?

They own Moviestar

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

Im the exact same, had enough yesterday and canceled then switched over to moviestar for only €5 a month, i had a dvd delivered this morning cant ask for better then that :)[/QUOTE]

Same here I cancelled last week fed up with the turn around. I feel sorry for them if it is a postal issue. It must be killing their business.

How did you join Moviestar for €5 per month what package is that?

ROVER wrote: »

How did you join Moviestar for €5 per month what package is that?

I was with them before and when i switched to screenclick i got that offered to me, but was meant to be out of date 2 days later,, logged into my account few weeks later and the offer was still there. its only one at a time but its enough for me

Advertisement