Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a wireless router please.

• 03-08-2007 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Hows it going, I was wondering if someone could recommend me a wireless router thing. I have a NTL broadband internet connection on my main computer (a dell dimension 9200 with intel core2 duo, if that makes a difference) but I want to get a wireless router to go with it so I can use the internet on the computer upstairs. Could someone suggest the best router to get. If I didn't give enough info just ask for it and I'll post it up. Also do I need to get something else to go along with the router or will just hooking up the router alone allow me to access the net on the upstairs comp? Thanks a million, much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Linksys wireless G.

I've found its just that little bit better.

Probably need a wireless usb key for the computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I'd reccommend a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

You will obiviously require a wireless card for the upstairs PC. USB types are cheap and easy to install, BUT, may not be successful radio signal wise.

An internal type using PCI connection would be the way to go. They have a decent aerial and signal reception is much better than USB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

k thanks, do they have a usb port on the back of them? Because I bought a Belkin router and I couldn't connect it up to the modem because my modem connects into the usb port on the front of the computer and the router had only the phone line style connections on the back of it. Or is there some kind of an adapter for connecting usb leads to the other type of connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

k thanks, do they have a usb port on the back of them? Because I bought a Belkin router and I couldn't connect it up to the modem because my modem connects into the usb port on the front of the computer and the router had only the phone line style connections on the back of it. Or is there some kind of an adapter for connecting usb leads to the other type of connection?

Most routers use network ( ethernet) connections ( thats RJ45 network type sockets ...looks like a phone connection but bigger , ...phones are RJ11 ).

there are not many routers with USB inputs for the modem , but then again there are not many broadband modems without a network ( ethernet) connection !!

If your modem does not have an ethernet connection , then just connect the router to the PC via ethernet, and then once the wireless router is set up , you will need to set the PC with the modem to share its internet connection.

The disadvantage of that is that you will always have to have the main PC on to connect to the net.

The Best way to connect the modem to the router is via the RJ45 network connection. Are you sure your modem does not have one of these ? Can you post the model number of the modem ?

Edit: , by the way , most NTL modems Ive come across are this one :

http://broadband.motorola.com/catalog/product_documents/533177-001-a-SB5101E-6-2006.pdf

If it is this one , ( which connects either via usb or Ethernet ) then disconnect the USB from your computer and instead connect the ethernet port on the modem , to the port marked modem on your router ( the belkin has one of these ) .

Then connect another ethernet cable from any other port on the router to ethernet port on the main PC.( It should have one , your pc would have to be really old not to have one).

Re start everything and as you were already connected you should be able to get online straight away from the main PC.

Then its just a question of setting up the wireless link from the second PC.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

thanks for the help too guys,
    can anyone recamend the one that komplett.ie have on there special this week?

• Advertisement
Advertisement