Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

fatal accidents.......

Options
  • 03-08-2007 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

What happens to any vehicle involved in an accident where the occupants have died or where self harm occurred such as driving into a river or putting a hose from the exhaust into their car? Is the car destroyed by the gardai or is it sold to a motor dismantler where any parts from the wreckage can be sold to unsuspecting buyers or could it be repaired and put back on the road? Last time i was in a breakers yard, I wondered if every car was at the end of its useful life or was the car involved in a fatal accident/tragedy??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

Not to sure but wouldn't they destroy the car on compassionate grounds?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I've never seen any blood, guts or limbs left behind in any car in a scrap yard so i presume they destroy those cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

G Luxel wrote:
    What happens to any vehicle involved in an accident where the occupants have died or where self harm occurred such as driving into a river or putting a hose from the exhaust into their car? Is the car destroyed by the gardai or is it sold to a motor dismantler where any parts from the wreckage can be sold to unsuspecting buyers or could it be repaired and put back on the road? Last time i was in a breakers yard, I wondered if every car was at the end of its useful life or was the car involved in a fatal accident/tragedy??

Well in most fatal accidents the car is too far gone even for parts.

I'd imagine that a car where someone poisoned themselves with exhaust fumes would just be sold on.

Not the same thing, but I know my granduncle got a heart attack and died in his car (it didn't crash though). The family just kept the car and traded it in when the time came.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I believe they are destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I know a guy who bought the car from the family of a person who was shot dead, for about one fifteenth of its actual worth. I don't know if the person was actually shot in the car or beside it but I'm certain there must have been fragments of skull and a couple of pints of blood on the windscreen anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Going on the visual evidence of the breakers yards I frequent, I'd say 20-30% of the cars there were crashed.
    Of those, over the years I've seen more than a few with well bent steering wheels and head shaped holes/bulges in windscreens; a handful of those have had bits of hair and traces of blood on the glass.
    Since the universal introduction of airbags these things are much less common, but I still occasionally find one where an occupant obviously sustained an injury of some sort (bodily fluid stained upholstery, etc).

Did people die in these cars? I don't know, and I'm not entirely sure I want to. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

hang on, hang on ...that car still is somebodies's property. Owner, relatives of the owner or the insurance company.

I don't think you can just destroy a car even if someone has died in it ...at least not before the insurance assessor has seen it.

Also there would be the matter of personal belongings in the car that some grieving relatives might want back.

They would at least have to be asked for their consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Seen a written off Merc in a garage years ago being repaired that a woman had died in. Guys doing the work on it said some blood was still visible inside.....lovely. Guess they just bought it from the insurance company to fix up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Big seans in Ovens is mainly insurance write offs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Big seans in ovens? What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Speaking from experience (close family friend), as far as I can remember, the car was brought into a garda enclosure for a technical examination. Personal effects were bagged, and made available. As the insurance company had no claim to the vehicle, the choice was with the family as to the final outcome of the car - in this case, it was crushed.

Had the insurance company any claim to it, I would have no doubt that the car would have been sold off, repaired, and put back on the road - the main structure of the car itself being relatively sound. The unfortunate occupant was thrown out of the car, and it was the impact with the road surface that caused his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Stephen wrote:
    Big seans in ovens? What?
    He is seany and BIG and has a sctrap yard in Ovens (in the ppl's repuplic)
    Never seen any blood in there either but a few very cut up cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

My cousins wife had a baby in his car, that was some valet job...
    TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Interesting thoughts, like what happens to cars of assassination victims. Where's Martin Cahills car, Veronica Guerins car etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭meathmannn

From experience:

Car gets taken to be examined by Gardai.
    Personal effects etc are made available to the family.
    Insurance liase with Gardai etc.

Eventually a poor Garda has to call into the family and advise them that the car is available for release, or if they prefer it will be disposed of.
    I've never heard of a case where family wanted it back.

(A good garda friend had to go to a family to tell them the tricycle that their child had been killed on was available for release, told me it was harder than origionally telly them their child had died!)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

meathmannn wrote:
    A good garda friend had to go to a family to tell them the tricycle that their child had been killed on was available for release

Bloody hell :(

Would it not be a better policy to keep them in storage for 3 or 6 months and if the family don't claim it, dispose of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The cars go to scrap if the next of kin dont claim it.

Ive been to a scrap yard to get parts for a ****box fiesta i used to own. I seen this fiesta not that badly damaged actually and the scrapper told me its was from a woman that was killed in it.

I said thanks but no thanks, i dont need the bad karma.

Advertisement