Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theft of fixies/singlespeeds

Options
  • 03-08-2007 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Have any of you folk ever had a fixed-gear or singlespeed bike nicked?

Is it a common occurrence in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The only one I heard of was nicked from a courier, by another courier -a thief *and* an idiot - thought he'd get away with it. Was returned.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I remember reading here that somebody left there's outside a shop unlocked and when they came out somebody was trying to cycle off on it, except they fell off it because they couldn't figure it out :)

he got it back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

They get stolen from time to time. Usually it's courriers bikes that get taken when they are doing a drop if they leave them unlocked. Almost all the time they are found nearby or around the corner abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cabaal wrote:
    I remember reading here that somebody left there's outside a shop unlocked and when they came out somebody was trying to cycle off on it, except they fell off it because they couldn't figure it out :)

he got it back

Yeah, I think that was in the states.

I always figured part of the reasons couriers got them was to avoid theft. Most have them customized and it is mainly couriers on them. So if a scumbag nicked one who can he sell to? his mates cant cycle it or want it, nor the average lad on the street. So they are stuck trying to sell to other couriers, I expect they have their own little "community", so the scumbag would not offer it to a bunch of them, and risk getting his face smashed for nicking their mates bike. A courier would be wary buying it second hand for fear it is nicked and will be spotted by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

That's exactly what I'm hoping.
    rubadub wrote:

I always figured part of the reasons couriers got them was to avoid theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Don't forget the image aspect of fixies and their low maintenance too for their popularity...plus they are fun to ride as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

rubadub wrote:
    Yeah, I think that was in the states.

I always figured part of the reasons couriers got them was to avoid theft. Most have them customized and it is mainly couriers on them. So if a scumbag nicked one who can he sell to? his mates cant cycle it or want it, nor the average lad on the street. So they are stuck trying to sell to other couriers, I expect they have their own little "community", so the scumbag would not offer it to a bunch of them, and risk getting his face smashed for nicking their mates bike. A courier would be wary buying it second hand for fear it is nicked and will be spotted by others.

Yeah, but given how popular fixies are becoming, I think its only a matter of time. Mind you, every fixie i've seen is different though in terms of parts, controls etc so yes, the market is probably somewhat limited for thieves.

Singlespeeds, if the thieves know what they're looking for, are probably more appealing cos at least they'll be able to cycle it if they are unused to fixies.

Advertisement