Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New 30km/hr city speed limit

Options
  • 03-08-2007 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭

Speed limits in Dublin city centre to be cut to 30km/h

Speed limits in Dublin city centre are reportedly set to be slashed in an effort to prevent the deaths of cyclists and pedestrians.

At present, motorists can travel at up to 50km/h (31mph) in most parts of the city centre.

However, reports this morning say the City Council is planning to cut this to 30km/h (18.6mph) throughout the city centre, including the busy quays.

Other cities including Cork, Galway and Limerick are also expected to follow Dublin's lead.

Well, whaddya think?

The cops are on the quays, nabbing "speeders" at the current limit of 50. What will it be like when it's 30?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Short answer: it's a joke! It'll cause more problems than it solves :rolleyes:

Thread in Commuting/Transport:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055129851

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Well, it's already in place on a lot of the side streets off the quays and seems to work ok. I've never seen them nabbing people in these areas, but the quays would be the ideal place, especially when there's nobody around. I wonder though will they have a lot of trouble as I know a lot of older cars whose speedos won't register properly at those kinds of speeds, jumping all over the place and so on.

Edit: Not that I'm agreeing with them or anything - I personally think they won't make much difference at all to safety etc., as Kaiser's thread says.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

:rolleyes:

They should be spending money improving driving standards at our current speed limits. Lowering the speed limit to suit the poor standards on the roads is ridiculous. Cyclists are being knocked off their bikes by cars going around corners at 15Km/h because the dopes behind the wheel aren't paying attention, being too busy texting or adjusting the radio. I'd also wager that most/any deaths of cyclists in town are down to trucks sideswiping them or crushing them while turning. Any fatalities due to pure speed would surely have happened in excess of the current 50Km/h limit.

When's the last time you saw somebody being done for a yellow box offence or making a turn accross a green pedestrian light?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well since traffic cant go faster than this most of the time during the week anyway, it will make little difference.
    I wonder though will buses and Taxis bother to obey it and if not, will they be done for speeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

What a joke of an idea. Maybe if cyclists would obey the rules of road such as stop for the red light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How about proper cycle lanes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

How about pedestrian start getting tickets for strolling out through the middle of a junction.

Every other frikkin country in europe says:

CROSS AT A PEDESTRIAN CROSSING

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

this is a fookin joke, pure slogan politics - make a big deal about fook all.

its not cars traveling at 50kms thats killing cyclists - its muppets cutting them up and crushing them at corners - and their failing to stop caused by the same oblivion to them in the first place.

Speed is the fall guy again as instead of costing money to put infrastructure in place it generates revenue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

God help anyone who's tight for time to make a ferry out of Dublin port coming from down the quays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

What are the stats for pedestrian / cyclist deaths in Dublin anyway. AS USUAL our media just says IT'S BAD. How bad?

Am I the only one that gets annoyed listening to how such and such has increased by 70%. Without the numbers a percentage is meaningless and can be twisted by anybody. It's not a hard thing to trip somebody up on but our radio presenters just go along with any percentages given to them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Robbo wrote:
    God help anyone who's tight for time to make a ferry out of Dublin port coming from down the quays.

How long are the quays? Say 5Km (I'm guessing there).
    So if there was no traffic and lights you'ld do it in 6mins at 50Km/h or 10 at 30Km/h. They could just leave 4 mins earlier. I don't think I ever get up to 30Km/h when I go down the quays though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Is this a universal thing in the city centre or to be concentrated in particular areas because it's already in place on the streets enclosed by dame st, cuffe st, grafton st, and georges st, on the north, south, east and west respectively. Maybe they were just the test case, but it's very appropriate on those streets, I'm not so sure about how necessary it would be on the quays except for between o'connell bridge and capel st. bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

this is probably the MOST retarded idea I have heard ever. any deaths in town by pedestrians are usually casued by people playing chicken with cars and buses and as for cyclists IIRC (im pretty sure too) then the only deaths of cyclists in town have been caused by trucks side swiping em

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

In the Indo it highlights 4 streets. O' Connell St, Dame St, D'Olier St and WestMoreland St. Correct me if I wrong, but is there any cycle lanes on these streets. Hell, there's not even a buslane on Dame street. Maybe cyclists are falling off there bikes in potholes in Dame street.

Maybe pedestrians should obey green and red lights like the motorists do. People would get killed by a car at 30kph and higher anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Reducing speed profoundly improves survivability.
    What are the stats for pedestrian / cyclist deaths in Dublin anyway. AS USUAL our media just says IT'S BAD. How bad?
    80-90% of deaths in the city council area are pedestrians, cyclists or motorcyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

While it may actually be the pedestrians or cyclists fault in a lot of cases... you cant police pedestrains and cyclists to the same level as you can motorists, and since the idea is to cut deaths then the best way to do that is reduce the speed limit and then actually enforce it.

Im just waiting for speed bumps to be put in the city centre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

furtzy wrote:
    What a joke of an idea. Maybe if cyclists would obey the rules of road such as stop for the red light.

Agreed! I would put money on most of the cyclist death/injuries in the city centre being a result of dangerous cycling and ignoring the rules of the road.

Take that notorious accident black spot on O'Connell bridge on the corner where the Centra is. Literally every time I am in the vicinity I see people walking out in front of buses coming round the corner, or cyclists speeding round the corner - breaking the red light - into the path of traffic travelling down the quays!

The guards should have a crack-down on jay-walking and cyclists breaking the rules of the road, definitely.

I have to say though, lowering the speed limit - tbh when do you ever get to drive at 50km/h in the city centre anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

eth0_ wrote:
    I have to say though, lowering the speed limit - tbh when do you ever get to drive at 50km/h in the city centre anyway?
    Off-peak? At night? etc.. this isn't just a temporary rush hour limit they're suggesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've used the quays every weekday for many years. Doesn't really matter what they do, the lane markings themselves are so bad they cause accidents especially on the southside. Theres hardly any cops on them, so people will just ignore the limits as they currently do. Pedestrians and cycles all wander all over the place as if they have a death wish. At peak the traffic crawls, off peak its like a speed track. I could pick 20 spots on the quays and surrounding streets where at minimum every 5 mins someone breaks a traffic law causing a serious danger to someone.

Reducing the limits will do nothing, except make the traffic crawl off peak, and we'll have random speed traps for a while, so people will have their head down looking at the speedo instead of out the window looking for pedestrians and cyclists as they wander between lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dublinsausage

Don't you guys put something up on You Tube so we know what you are talking about ?

This for example * http://www.dumpvideo.net/2007/06/28/bicycle-drifting/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Let me see, this is intended to protect pedestrians and cyclist's because those same people can't take responsiblity for their own safet, so we're left to do it?.

This is like the dangerous dogs ban the DCC recently proposed, stupid.

Like the dangerous dogs ban, there's already laws in place to protect cyclists and pedestrians but their not enforced.

I rarely see a cyclist being pulled for cycling through lights up against the flow of traffic, or pedestrians J-walking... Why?.

For a laugh this evening I tried driving at 30Kph on St.Stephens Green, and again on O'Connell St and the car couldn't decide on 2nd or 3rd gear, I drive an automatic. So the gear box went wild between the two!.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Why is everyone blaming cyclists and pedestrians? I've seen more than enough idiot drivers around the city centre to justify this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Why is everyone blaming cyclists and pedestrians? I've seen more than enough idiot drivers around the city centre to justify this.

Because they're the one's being reported as being killed and injured.

Ashling Quay 12 yrs ago I was knocked down by a cyclist who was travelling against the flow of traffic, I broke both elbow's and left wrist.

Just a few weeks later on the Bridge at Hueston Station a cyclist broke the lights, killing a motorcycle guard.

That's just two significant accidents that I can remember.

But I see it every day, and I drive well over 50 thousend Kilometer's per year, almost all city driving.

There's absolutely no justification for this speed limit.

Instead existing law's should be enforced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Mairt wrote:

Time to inject some facts into this thread

20mph As A Standard Speed Limit Why Galway Needs It. © Galway Cycling Campaign, April 1999
    http://galwaycycling.org/archive/info/20mph.html

Submission on National Speed Limit/Enforcement Policy:
    Departmental Speed Limit Review Group Submission - Galway Cycling Campaign August 2003
    http://galwaycycling.org/archive/submission/speed_limit_sub_03.html

European Federation for Transport and the Environment Fact sheet on lower urban speed limits - Pages three and four dispel the myths particularly regarding congestion.
    http://www.transportenvironment.org/docs/Fact-sheets,%20responses,%20etc/2001/11-01-T30.pdf
    html version (easier to cut and paste)
    http://www.transportenvironment.org/docs/Fact-sheets,%20responses,%20etc/11-00%20Lower%20%20urban%20speed%20limits.htm

Germany
    Buxtehude implemented first 30kph zone in Germany in 1983 - Ireland is 24 years behind the times
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempo-30-Zone

Examples from Europe
    Munich: 330 30kph zones
    http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/kvr/strverkehr/verksicherheit/allgemein/117646/t30zonen.html

Cologne: 30kph zones cover 7,500 hectares in area
    http://www.stadt-koeln.de/verkehr/verkehrsberuhigung/artikel/03065/index.html

Zurich has implemented 30kph zones in 24 districts of the city
    http://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/tempo30/stadtplan.htm

Vienna: https://www.wien.gv.at/umweltschutz/umweltbericht/rtf/laerm-engl-04.rtf
    "As a result, the first Tempo 30 zones covering a distance of 31 kilometres were introduced as early as 1987. At the year end 2005, Tempo 30 applied to a total of 1,353.4 kilometres, which is 48 per cent of the entire municipal road network in Vienna. Each year, new Tempo 30 zones covering between 20 and 100 kilometres are added. In addition, there are 130 designated residential areas and 73 pedestrian precincts. The extent of both designated residential areas and pedestrian precincts in Vienna has increased since 2000. In 17 of Vienna's 23 districts there is already at least one pedestrian precinct!"

Graz (Austria): 30 kph zones cover 75% ofthe city's streets
    http://www.eu-portal.net/unitdesign/studyvisitsites.phtml?sprache=en&site_id=6

Slower speeds initiative: 20's Plenty Campaign Rationale
    http://www.slower-speeds.org.uk/content/view/97/46

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Mairt wrote:

Ashling Quay 12 yrs ago I was knocked down by a cyclist who was travelling against the flow of traffic, I broke both elbow's and left wrist.

Just a few weeks later on the Bridge at Hueston Station a cyclist broke the lights, killing a motorcycle guard.

I'm sorry that you had an accident, hopefully you recovered. I hadn't heard about the other accident as I was out of the country for a while.

I posted on the similar thread in commuting that cyclists should also be encouraged to obey the law. Of course the main problem is that they are unidentifiable/ I think that all bikes should be registered and taxed. I'm thinking a non punitive amount something like €20 or so (enough to cover the administration of the programme and if there is any extra income that should be put into road safety education programmes). Tax disc to put in the spokes of the front wheel, like I've seen in Bruges in Belgium. Again for safety reasons I'd also like all cyclists to have to wear helmets and reflective gear.

But they should also have some kind of numberplate so if any cyclist does any actions like the two mentioned above then they could be identified and prosecuted. I'm sure that anyone who is really interested in road safety and reducing accidents and fatalities would agree that the rules of the road should apply to all users. Maybe someone should start a campaign about this as well, seeing as we're all so concerned about safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Nah. The cops should enforce the law with all road users, (pedestrians, cyclists included). Not turning a blind eye so people develop bad habits which has got us where we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Speaking of which, on my way to work this morning lights were LONG green approaching a junction coming onto the Western Road next to UCC (Where theres the turn off for the Mardyke). I always slow down coming up to have a look, low and behold, two dipsticks on bicycles sauntered through a red light in front of me.

Had i went as the lights indicated the girl cycling in the front would have been over the bonnet.

If you act irresponsibly like this you should get a fine - period. If you can't obey the rules then you have no place on a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

BostonB wrote:
    Nah. The cops should enforce the law with all road users, (pedestrians, cyclists included). Not turning a blind eye so people develop bad habits which has got us where we are.

I'd have no problem (as a pedestrian, cyclists, bus passenger but not a driver) with the Gardai enforcing the laws more vigorously but (in Dublin anyway) the environment isn't reasonable.

Pedestrian traffic lights in Dublin are (and DCC ITS will tell you this) timed to inconvenience motorists as little as possible. Their priority right now is keeping cars moving and any pedestrian knows you could be standing for several minutes for the lights to change. And that is when lights are provided on all four corners (as others have said). If you have to cross three times round a junction, it takes a (relatively) long amount of time compared to walking across a red light.

The entire road system is designed to keep control of cars. You'd be laughed out of it if you asked a pedestrian to walk an extra 500m+ around a one way system but cyclists are asked to do that all the time. There are plenty of places where it would be simple and safe to provide a contra flow cycle lane but DCC don't do that.

There are countless other small changes DCC could make but they don't so pedestrians will continue to jaywalk and cyclists will continue to go the wrong way down one way streets and cycle on footpaths. The reason most Gardai don't stop pedestrians jaywalking, or cyclists cycling on Grafton St or various footpath is because the environment is badly designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

There would be no need for this at all, if there were proper cycling infrastructure. This is just a knee-jerk response to band aid the problem. Whats needed is a programme of cycle lanes and pedestrian crossings (or flyover bridges), especially at fast exits on roundabouts - can be lethal for anyone not capable of running.

Go to any city in Germany and they have fantastic cycle lanes everywhere. Its their little patch of the world, well understood by everyone.

What we have is a mess.

Sure, the survivability of a cyclist of pedestrian increases at 30 km/h but this measure as it stands is just smoke screen for the fact our cities are so dangerous for pedestrians/cyclists.

I have the feeling it will do little anyway since theres so little enforcement of current limits.

Im not generally a cyclist myself but its not fair or clear to say its cyclists cycling badly or motorists driving badly. We both have to operate with what we have - badly planned cities.

Of course some education would help too

For instance, in Ros Cam where they put in cycle lanes everywhere, idiot drivers park in them all the time at the junction to go into the Spar, forcing cyclists to go out on the road - right at the junction where people are turning. Do people honestly believe putting their hazard lights on makes it ok:rolleyes: It bugs the hell out of me too since it means having to drive around sometimes several cars right at the exit - dangerous.

A blanket 30km/h limit will do nothing to address any of the above. It might just mean people get clobbered at a slightly lower speed.

EDIT: Read in Galway the 30km/h limit could extend from the headford road roundabout out to salthill and knocknacarra. This is not good... Also its due in mid 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭iblis

Mairt wrote:

That's just two significant accidents that I can remember.

But I see it every day, and I drive well over 50 thousend Kilometer's per year, almost all city driving.

Instead existing law's should be enforced.

I have to agree with this.

On a daily basis I have several people almost run me down on bicycles while I'm a pedestrian in the city centre, generally cycling through a red light while I have a green crossing light, and frequently against the traffic flow in a one way system. Many even have the nerve to shout abuse at the pedestrians crossing on a green light!

One particularly bad spot is crossing from the top of Grafton street to Stephen's Green. Stand there for 5 mins during the day time and you will see several cyclists cycling through the traffic lights against the one way traffic flow, while the crossing light is green, and people are trying to cross...

Also look at pedestrian bridges such as the one at the IFSC. It is clearly marked "cyclists dismount". Very clearly. But not a single cyclist does so, and the majority cycle over there at a rate of knots without a care in the world...

This does not get any better when I get into my car to drive to clients/home. Cyclists often cycle in the middle of traffic lanes, or on the right hand side of a traffic lane. The majority don't have lights when it's dark, and I would doubt more than half wear proper reflective gear. The vast majority do not use hand signals. Again many cycle against the traffic flow on narrow one way systems without a care in the world. Expecting buses and cars to move over.

I used to live in an apartment (until a few weeks ago) overlooking Talbot street, this is commonplace, and gets really interesting when you have double decker buses trying to negotiate the narrow road (that way to reduce speed) while there are cyclists on both sides of the one traffic lane, travelling in opposite directions!!!!

Do not even get me started on people cycling drunk (generally with no lights or reflective gear).

And now we are to accept an almost halved speed limit to protect these helpless citizens?

LMAO

Advertisement