Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rip a new site apart please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Well I am not sure if you are looking for opinions on the sites design or what? Afterall its just a forum!

However, I do like the skin you used and the logo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Nice skin - but yeah just another forum.... how many you got now michele? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Looks well, but, for a forum i don't think light text on a dark background is a good idea. It's quite tiring on the eye when you have to read a lot of text.
    There is a reason papers are traditionally printed on white paper :) Other than that it looks good. I like the logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

tomED wrote:
    Nice skin - but yeah just another forum.... how many you got now michele? ;)
    I manage about a half dozen of them, though two of those are for the company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I'm only slaggin ye!!! :)

• Advertisement

tomED wrote:
    I'm only slaggin ye!!! :)
    You hurt my feelings :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

Really like the colours! Just wondering if the Forum column is a bit wide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

its a lovely skin, the logo is pretty neat too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

That skin looks familiar. I've seen it before anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

what kind of feedback are you looking for or is this just an ad?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

It's just a vbulletin forum with a skin...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Perhaps we should be directing our critique towards VBStyles.com?

GaryCocs wrote:
    Really like the colours! Just wondering if the Forum column is a bit wide?

It's a fluid layout, so it should resize according to your screen size. Of course it might not, so the CSS may need tweaking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

1t m4k3s m3 th1nk 0f c3rt41n 0+h3r s1t3s... gu3$$ wh1ch!
    Usability... Grey on grey? No real contrast. The text boxes can be too wide on wider screens... Can all discourage reading. Icons too small and emoticons don't overlay nicely at all. Pity us blind bastards. And, after all, it is just a vB forum with a skin - there's nothing more important than readability (and well, nothing more to say about the "site".)

I'm starting to get suspicious of why the OP posted this. For advertising or for comments about a style that was released by VBStyles. The former seems more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Jakkass wrote:
    I'm starting to get suspicious of why the OP posted this. For advertising or for comments about a style that was released by VBStyles. The former seems more likely.

I'd have to say ... Yes / No :D ...

In this instance he's a webmaster ... asking for comments on his new site ... I've seen many other people on here request comments / criticism on their sites ... (that I've felt were simple template sites) so far he's heard a number of people saying they aren't too keen on the black background as the contrast black background .. white text makes it hard to read ... (I'm also a member of that board so possibley biased) ... also he's just gotten someone to design a logo and has posted in various other places asking for criticism / suggestions ...

I think the majority of people posting in here post their site for feedback ... and to try and attract some business / attention (hence I'll agree that it doesn't hurt business so to speak)

OSCommerce sites ... are pretty much a one click install ... and you can install a template quite easily over them .. yet people ask for feedback on them .. or for any of the Joomla sites that they bung a template on and change the logo for ...

Anyways ... I quite like the look of the site ... it feels good as opposed to another of your sites I really don't like the look / feel of ...

I run boards with the Cloud skin .. so I quite like white on black background ...

The Menu system .. seems to do weird things with firefox 2.0.0.6 at times ... it causes the menu items to appear under each other ...

Also the Latest post Date / Time appears in black against a black background ...

Haven't tested it against IE

I do like that skin though. I suppose some people like it for the contrast the while against the black, and the green against the black etc. Whoever did that on VBStyles deserves some major kudos. Theres been a lot of skins for PHPBB 3 that I've liked as well.

Jakkass wrote:
    I do like that skin though. I suppose some people like it for the contrast the while against the black, and the green against the black etc. Whoever did that on VBStyles deserves some major kudos. Theres been a lot of skins for PHPBB 3 that I've liked as well.

The default PHPBB 3 skin is quite cool as well :)

yeah the one that's currently on the official site is sweet. The thing is you could use it as part of another template. In a div or as part of a table. And of course with a PHP forum the opportunity for making a CMS with it is always there too.

The feedback on the contrasts are valuable and hopefully can be addressed by tweaking the template's CSS.

The latest thread colours does look a bit off - hopefully I'll have time over the weekend to dig into it

I haven't been able to replicate the menu issues on Firefox (which is the only browser I use)
    Do you have any plugins installed that could be causing this?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of a plugin / extension for vbulletin that would allow people to rate films? There's a "rate this thread" function, but that doesn't really do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

As far as content goes - is there a niche for another film discussion board? I have the impression that there are plenty already, and don't really see anything different about this one.

Style and layout, I looked around a bit and it the nav seems fairly standard and works well, but the colours are terrible. Light text on dark background is a bit of a souffle, tough to get right, but sometimes exquisite. I don't think you've cracked it yet, I found it hard on the eyes. Here an example of a site that is light on dark and very easy on the eyes http://daringfireball.net/

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

edanto wrote:
    Here an example of a site that is light on dark and very easy on the eyes http://daringfireball.net/

Easy on the eyes? Yes. But also brutally unimaginitive.

blacknight wrote:
    Do you have any plugins installed that could be causing this?

Firebug could be causing the problem ... (I do get some memory leaks with firefox from time to time)

CuLT wrote:

But it's intended to be minimalist. That works at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

CuLT wrote:
    I'm not applauding the content/layout/other parts of the site, just the colour scheme as being easy to read.

edanto wrote:
    I'm not applauding the content/layout/other parts of the site, just the colour scheme as being easy to read. k?

I have to disagree actually ... I find it makes my vision start to blur and I lose focus ... not attacking the site ... didn't read anything there ... just tried looking at the content for a bit .. and it didn't work for me ...

forbairt wrote:
    Firebug could be causing the problem ... (I do get some memory leaks with firefox from time to time)
    Would you mind disabling it and browsing the site just to see please?

I know I was having some very "interesting" issues with a lot of sites due to a couple of the FF plugins I had enabled on one of my PCs...

blacknight wrote:
    Would you mind disabling it and browsing the site just to see please?

I know I was having some very "interesting" issues with a lot of sites due to a couple of the FF plugins I had enabled on one of my PCs...

It doesn't happen that often ... so I'm guessing its just my version / plugins / combo ...

I've disabled a few of the plugins ... I'm using .. firebug was the one that sprang to mind as its monitoring the code on the page ...

I get various weird issues with Firefox and memory from time to time ... it starts to get very big in size ... 350+ mbs .. and starts to chug a bit ... I've put it down to poor javascript on sites before .. but have never really investigated properly ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Looks like it could be an Xbox forum with the contrast turned down a notch.

Advertisement