Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions league draw

• 03-08-2007 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

Arsenal and Liverpool find out who they play in the Third round qualifier for the champions league today.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/newsid=566670.html

There are a few slippery ties here, they could meet Fenerbahce,Spartak Moskow,AEK athens.
    Would you (liverpool or arsenal supporters) prefer to meet a tough team like these or someone like bate borisov, fk venkspils.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Oh yeah....good luck to Rangers and celtic too in that draw!

Man i love the english bias on this board :rolleyes:
    As for the above question....why would any team want a tough draw that could jeapordise their chances of getting through? Bizzare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Eirebear wrote:

Where are you from Eirebear?

Why not good luck to Ajax? Is there an anti-dutch bias?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Plus Rangers and Celtic are both ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Eirebear wrote:

Man i love the english bias on this board !

Sorry forgot about them, :o , but I dont really rate either. scottish football is abismal

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Where are you from Eirebear?

Why not good luck to Ajax? Is there an anti-dutch bias?

Me, im from Donegal, although born in Glasgow.
    Should that make a difference?

and did i say anything about an "anti" bias.
    You cant honestly tell me there is anything other than an English bias on this forum can you?

• Advertisement

Sorry forgot about them, :o , but I dont really rate either. scottish football is abismal

Thats alright bud, im just at a wee bit of a a wind up this morning ;)

I've always been a little bemused by Irelands love in with the most over rated league in the world.

3 Champions League Finalists in the last three years?
    Last year - 3 out of 4 semi finalists?

Wouldn't call it over-rated to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis teh best league! Official!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Mike

*Source:Sky Sport

Its the closest league that is in anyway good. if the SPL was any good I'm sure it would have more support (ditto the FAI Superleague of Heroes).

I say good luck to all team of all nationalities in the draw, its the 21st centruy, we must be equal opportunity supporters. May the best teams win, everyone enjoy the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Eirebear wrote:
    I've always been a little bemused by Irelands love in with the most over rated league in the world.

What is the best league in the world?

• Advertisement

Since 99/00, there have been 3 spanish winners from 5 finalists
    2 italian winners from 4 finalists
    1 german winner from 2 finalists
    1 Portugese winner from 1 finalist
    There has been an all spanish and all italian final in that time, something the english clubs never managed to pull off last year despite the hype.
    One English winner from 3 finalists doesnt really stand up to that all that well does it?

We can all turn statistics to make our point mate.
    Any league who can rate people like Andy Johnson at 20 million plus, is over rated in my book, and always will be.

reactor...maybe if the LOI had all the millions of money spent by Irish people over the years on Englands league then it would be decent eh?
    Mossy, I'd still plump for the spanish league as being the best in europe to be honest, Europe doesnt = world though, unfortunately i dont get to watch the rest of the worlds leagues all that often.

I think in the last three years, Englands teams have dominated the Champions League.

Don't really fancy getting into an discussion on the merits of the PL to be honest.

edit: all the best players from the different leagues around the world come to Europe to play. So i think its a fairly safe assumption that Europe contains the strongest leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Eirebear wrote:
    Since 99/00, there have been 3 spanish winners from 5 finalists
    2 italian winners from 4 finalists
    1 german winner from 2 finalists
    1 Portugese winner from 1 finalist
    There has been an all spanish and all italian final in that time, something the english clubs never managed to pull off last year despite the hype.
    One English winner from 3 finalists doesnt really stand up to that all that well does it?

We can all turn statistics to make our point mate.
    Any league who can rate people like Andy Johnson at 20 million plus, is over rated in my book, and always will be.

reactor...maybe if the LOI had all the millions of money spent by Irish people over the years on Englands league then it would be decent eh?
    Mossy, I'd still plump for the spanish league as being the best in europe to be honest, Europe doesnt = world though, unfortunately i dont get to watch the rest of the worlds leagues all that often.

Why did you conveniently cut it off at 99/00 and not inlude the 98/99 season when Utd won it? or would that have messed up your rant?

Where is Andy Johnson worth £20m? Last I saw he sold for £7.25m. Surely if he was rated so highly , some big team would have spent £20m on him, no? Are the Spanish and Italian leagues not equally guilty of spending ridiculour amounts on players?

Eirebear wrote:

As opposed to a huge number of them who support Celtic in a crap league because of the teams "Irishness"?

I think in the last three years, Englands teams have dominated the Champions League.

Don't really fancy getting into an discussion on the merits of the PL to be honest.

edit: all the best players from the different leagues around the world come to Europe to play. So i think its a fairly safe assumption that Europe contains the strongest leagues.

With only one winner in three years i think domination is too strong a word.

As for the assumption that europe contains the "strongest" leagues, i see where your coming from as players will always come for the money.

But is the italian league anywhere near as exciting or unpredictable as the argentinian league?
    Does the german league have the flair and passion of the brazillian league?

Stekelly wrote:
    Why did you conveniently cut it off at 99/00 and not inlude the 98/99 season when Utd won it? or would that have messed up your rant?

Oh i dont know...because the decade started at 00? or should i just randomly stick an extra year on for your benefit?

So man utd won it in 1999....that makes 2 out of 4 finalists.....still doesnt really look like domination when compared to the other major leagues does it?

Stekelly wrote:
    As opposed to a huge number of them who support Celtic in a crap league because of the teams "Irishness"?

Or the upsurge in interest in Sunderland this year? Or the fact that RTE teletext used to only show the irish Scorers in the premiership when giving out results (i always found that hilarious!)

Sorry for the multiple posts folks.....just trying to keep up!

Exciting and unpredictable is nothing to do with the quality of the league.

Yes it would be fairly safe to say the Italian League is of a better standard than the Argentinian league (probably not as entertaining, but if its that wat you're looking for, go to a circus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

And don't forget Drogheda are in the UEFA Cup draw after the CL draw.

...and this has sweet FA to do with the draw in about 125 mins time.

Mike.

Exciting and unpredictable is nothing to do with the quality of the league.
    Yes it would be fairly safe to say the Italian League is of a better standard than the Argentinian league (probably not as entertaining, but if its that wat you're looking for, go to a circus)

Really? Exciting football does not equate to quality? interesting.....

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote:
    Or the upsurge in interest in Sunderland this year? Or the fact that RTE teletext used to only show the irish Scorers in the premiership when giving out results (i always found that hilarious!)

Sorry for the multiple posts folks.....just trying to keep up!

Who cares, does it bother you that much who people you dont know support? I have German passport, am I free to wear my Bayern Munich jersey without being looked at like a traitor for not wearing a Pats one?I started supporting Liverpool in the mid 80's when my German cousin was over and gave me a jersey. They were going through very successful times then too and I was attracted to that.

As for the Teletext, it put the Irish scorer in green where the rest where in white.

mike65 wrote:
    ...and this has sweet FA to do with the draw in about 125 mins time.

Mike.
    12 CET = 11 GMT ...

no?

Stekelly wrote:
    Who cares, does it bother you that much who people you dont know support? I have German passport, am I free to wear my Bayern Munich jersey without being looked at like a traitor for not wearing a Pats one?

As for the Teletext, it put the Irish scorer in green where the rest where in white.

As i said before....im at the wind up this morning.
    But well done on the german thing....:confused:

On the teletext thing, thats quite a recent development over the last 2 or 3 years.
    it used to quite litteraly only show the irish scorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Eirebear wrote:
    :eek:

You love the English bias? Imagine how the fans of the League of IRELAND feel ffs.

Eirebear wrote:
    Oh i dont know...because the decade started at 00? or should i just randomly stick an extra year on for your benefit?

So man utd won it in 1999....that makes 2 out of 4 finalists.....still doesnt really look like domination when compared to the other major leagues does it?

Well from your own list it would then be Spain 3 , England 2, Italy 2. Thats fairly level pegging in my book. It could very easily have been England 4, Spain 2 , Italy 2 had the last 2 finals gone differently, we're only talking about 2 one off games swinging the other way, it's not a big leap.But then sure the cut off point would probably be moved back to before the 05 final :)

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    12 CET = 11 GMT ...

no?

Mike65 misses draw :o

Mike.

Timezones are always confusing.

Anyway I reckon no one in that group should cause Liverpool any real problems. Fenerbache are probably the one team I'd rather not get.

Stekelly wrote:
    Well from your own list it would then be Spain 3 , England 2, Italy 2. Thats fairly level pegging in my book. It could very easily have been England 4, Spain 2 , Italy 2 had the last 2 finals gone differently, we're only talking about 2 one off games swinging the other way, it's not a big leap.But then sure the cut off point would probably be moved back to before the 05 final :)
    It is level pegging....but its certainly not dominance.
    And your the one who brought up 1999 but yet tell me that it could easily have been 4 wins if two other games had just swung the other way!!! I'm sure there was something of the unexpected about Man Utd scoring twice in the last 2 minutes........ lets stick to the facts eh?
    You love the English bias? Imagine how the fans of the League of IRELAND feel ffs
    Thats partly what i've been getting at to be fair. I regularly go and watch finn harps...for my sins...

Eirebear wrote:
    Thats partly what i've been getting at to be fair. I regularly go and watch finn harps...for my sins...
    You must have been Hitler in a previous life!:D

Fair play to you, decent side this season, reckon yiz'll be back in the PL for next season.

• Advertisement

Not next season...i doubt that Cobh are my bet.
    Who knows for the year after though.

Live on europsport now for anyone interested.

Also live on the uefa.com website.

Little bit of a speech. Diving and feigning injury not tolerated...

There's a guy in the audience who looks a little like Donald trump.

Also who's the representative from Liverpool? Don't recognise him off hand.

Dunno havnt been actually watching its on behind me while i work...

Spartak vs celtic

• Advertisement

Celtic away to Spartak Moscow

Fenerbache Vs Andelecht

phew!

Rangers/Zeta -v- whoever/Talinn

Toulouse Vs Liverpool

At least its not a too long journey.

Toulouse for the scousers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Toulouse Liverpool - could have been worse

seansouth wrote:
    Rangers/Zeta -v- whoever/Talinn

Its red Star belgrade seansouth, could be a tough one....but not as tough as Spartak moscow i dont think.
    Liverpool Tolouse.

Toulouse - Liverpool. Okay. I don't think a French side bar Lyon would pose much problem.

Mike

Sparta Prague -v- Arsenal

Sparta prague arsenal - could be a tricky one

FC Sherriff Street?

Quality name. Pass the bleedin' ball will ye Anto.

Full draw

FH Hafnarfjördur or FC BATE Borisov v Zaglebie Lubin or Steaua Bucharest
    Tampere United or Levski Sofia v Astana or Rosenborg
    Spartak Moscow v CELTIC
    Werder Bremen v NK Domzale or Dinamo Zagreb
    FK Ventspils or FC Salzburg v Pyunik or Shakhtar Donetsk
    Ajax v MSK Zilina or SK Slavia Prague
    Valencia v Debreceni or IF Elfsborg
    Genk or FK Sarajevo v Dynamo Kiev
    Fenerbahce v Anderlecht
    RANGERS or FK Zeta v FK Crvena Zvezda or Levadia Tallinn
    Toulouse v LIVERPOOL
    Benfica v FC Copenhagen or Beitar Jerusalem
    Lazio v Dinamo Bucuresti
    Sparta Prague v ARSENAL
    FC Zurich v Sheriff or Besiktas
    Sevilla v AEK Athens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sparta Prague is probably a worse draw than Toulouse, but i doubt it'll matter.

Some of these teams will be in the CL:

FH Hafnarfjördur or FC BATE Borisov v Zaglebie Lubin or Steaua Bucharest
    Tampere United or Levski Sofia v Astana or Rosenborg
    FK Ventspils or FC Salzburg v Pyunik or Shakhtar Donetsk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Shíte. Celtic get arguably the toughest of the unseeded teams. Top of the Russian league and half way through their season. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement