Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

I'm on the dole for Rock n' Roll

• 03-08-2007 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Sweden appears to be the most rocker friendly country or else this guys psychologist is having a laugh either way its all good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I read about that a while ago, and think it's ridiculous. Besides, he's not on the dole, but gets permission to play music at work. Big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

"I'm having part of my salary funded by the the employment service for rock n' roll" just didn't seem as catchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

A Swedish man is to receive sickness benefits for his addiction to heavy metal music.

The lifestyle of 42-year-old dishwasher Roger Tullgren from Hässleholm in southern Sweden has been classified as a disability by the Swedish Employment Service, which has agreed to pay part of Tullgren's salary, and his new boss has given him special dispensation to play loud music at work.

According to Swedish online newspaper The Local, Tullgren first developed an interest in heavy metal when his older brother bought a Black Sabbath album in 1971. Since then, Tullgren is a classic (albeit softly spoken) heavy metal head with tattoos and skull and crossbones jewellery. Last year he attended almost 300 heavy metal shows, while playing bass and guitar in two rock bands, including Silverland.

Tullgren says he has always had difficulty holding down a job, mainly because he is absent most of the time.

Psychologists decided Tullgren's obsession is nothing less than an addiction, which puts him in a difficult situation in the labour market. Tullgren said he has been fighting for recognition for a long time.

Many occupational psychologists in Sweden, however, are totally baffled by the decision. "If somebody has a gambling addiction, we don't send them down to the racetrack. We try to cure the addiction," deputy employment director Henrietta Stein for the Skåne region told The Local.
    That seems daft! He's absent a lot of the time because he goes to lots of gigs. How does he afford to go to these gigs if he's not working?

And as for playing loud music at work, I've done that for years! While wearing headphones of course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Ridiculous? Listen to the work shy layabout himself and it'll all makes sense. (seeing as he only sleeps 3 hours a day hes quite lucid) He's only scrounging 20%, considering the undeserving wasters who rip off the benefit schemes of most western countries I say Rock on Roger Tullgren

Advertisement