Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right... Time for a new PC!

Options
  • 03-08-2007 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

How are the professional builders and modders doing? ;)

Right, well, I've decided to build a new PC (mostly for gaming) at the start of september and I was going to get the following:

Motherboard

Processor

RAM

Graphics Card

Hard Drive

PSU

Case

I now have a few questions for you:

1) What do you think of the above spec?

2) Would you change anything? And if so, why?

3) Will the DDR2 RAM work with this DDR3 Motherboard or do I need to buy DDR3 RAM?

4) Is overclockers.co.uk a good place to buy all of the above?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post and replying! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Why don't u buy from www.hardwareversand.de ?

I bought one from them and they're great pricing, and in euros. Plus if ur not arsed putting the parts together urself, they do it for u.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Why don't u buy from www.hardwareversand.de ?

I bought one from them and they're great pricing, and in euros. Plus if ur not arsed putting the parts together urself, they do it for u.
    Well, I saw your post about your PC build and decided to try that German website but when I looked for that "Asus Blitz Extreme" Motherboard I couldn't find it so I gave up... :(

Well, I saw your post about your PC build and decided to try that German website but when I looked for that "Asus Blitz Extreme" Motherboard I couldn't find it so I gave up... :(

ah rite, maybe just get a dirt cheap one from them, and then buy the other one seperately - if u work it out, u mite still be saving a fair bit of money

u want one that can take ddr3 ram is it?

u want one that can take ddr3 ram is it?
    Nah... I really want THAT one...

• Advertisement

lol in true Little Britain style...

"now ur sure that you want this motherboard..."

"yea"

"you've always said that you've had distain for such things and that they lead to an inevitable breakdown of the human soul"

"yea I know"

"but you still want it?"

"YEA"

"rite ok..."

"I don't like it..."

lol, well I mean theres a few other motherboards there, but if ya want it, and they dont have it, I suppose thats ur only option...unless u buy all the parts on hardwareversand?

in fact yea...lookin at the prices, id be inclined to buy all the parts from Hardwareversand as it seems miles cheaper, but there is always the wait time, as u have to pay them by bank transfer which takes a fair while. up to urself, but I wud if i was u - the sterling conversion rate to buy stuff of overclockers, really does lift the price to buy from them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

does it not matter if that mobo is watercooled?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote:
    Extremely good point! Had completely overlooked this! :eek:

Thank you for pointing that out dazftw! I guess I'll have to invest in a watercooling system... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea someone else wanted this mobo in a differnet thread I said the same thing lol...

Why not just get the Asus Strike Extreme?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

dazftw wrote:
    I've been told that it "can" be watercooled, it doesn't "have" to be. So I'm definitely going to get it! It's a DDR3 board so it's future-proof and all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

dazftw wrote:
    Yea someone else wanted this mobo in a differnet thread I said the same thing lol...

Why not just get the Asus Strike Extreme?

Yeah that was me......I'm getting it for the same reasons as Steffano........future proof and does not have to be watercooled but down the line I will get watercooling.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Yeah that was me......I'm getting it for the same reasons as Steffano........future proof and does not have to be watercooled but down the line I will get watercooling.
    Exactly the same for me Kenny 5! When are you building your new rig?

I'm actually just after checking your new PC spec Kenny 5 and I'm very impressed! Think I might get the same RAM as yourself... Depends on budget really! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Will be building within the next couple of months. For the moment I've just got the case, keyboard and mouse but will gather the rest of the components over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Everything looks good you've done your homework, except the Blitz extreme, not that it's bad just very overpriced and DDR3, get a P5K Deluxe (which that essentially is anyway) or an IP35Pro. DDR3 is not future proof now, it's too immature. It isn't going to go mainstream until Nehalem (Intel next gen AFTER Penryn) you'd probably not be wanting your board/ram/GFX then anyway because something x times better/faster/shinier would be out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If its mostly for gaming like you've said, then why not go for a much faster regular dual core that will overclock better? Quad core is a total waste at the moment for games. I know you want to 'future proof' as much as possible at the moment but sometimes there's that and other times it's just a bad option.

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Will be building within the next couple of months. For the moment I've just got the case, keyboard and mouse but will gather the rest of the components over the next while.
    Good luck with it Kenny 5! I'm hoping to build mine next month when I get my redundancy cheque... :(

nibble wrote:
    Everything looks good you've done your homework, except the Blitz extreme, not that it's bad just very overpriced and DDR3, get a P5K Deluxe (which that essentially is anyway) or an IP35Pro. DDR3 is not future proof now, it's too immature. It isn't going to go mainstream until Nehalem (Intel next gen AFTER Penryn) you'd probably not be wanting your board/ram/GFX then anyway because something x times better/faster/shinier would be out.
    So in your opinion, a DDR3 MoBo is a bit of a waste of money then? I'll have a luck at the P5K Deluxe and the IP35Pro as you suggested. Thank you for your advice nibble! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm almost certain that the Blitz "Extreme" is only compatible with DDR3 memory. The Blitz "Formula" is the DDR2 board from the same range. Aren't DDR2 and DDR3 slots keyed differently so that only one type will fit? AFAIK, any P35 boards that support both DDR2 and DDR3 memory have both slots fitted, with the option to s/w change the memory controller used on a particular board.

In my humble (and relatively inexperienced) opinion, I think the best (bang-for-buck) way to approach the new ASUS P35 boards is to get a DDR2 board for now. Fit it with a 1333MHz processor, like the 6750, and if you're worried about memory bandwidth, use PC2-8500 RAM and 1066 settings, and overclock it. But AFAIK, memory bandwidth isn't a significant bottleneck with Core 2 Duo's, so PC2-6400 may be fine.

As another poster said, DDR3 still has a lot of maturing to do yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

So in your opinion, a DDR3 MoBo is a bit of a waste of money then? I'll have a luck at the P5K Deluxe and the IP35Pro as you suggested. Thank you for your advice nibble! ;)
    At the moment yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

What does Rechner - Zusammenbau mean on their website?

Where do you see that? Somewhere on www.hardwareversand.de?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Babel tells me it's "Computer Assembly".

From LC German, Rechner can be a computer or a calculator.

Zusammenbau means 'together build' [assembly].

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Yeah. It's part of the PC configurator thingy. It's €9.99 whatever it is.

The reason I ask is translation sites are blocked here at work and my home PC is out of action.

EDIT: Cheers. Very reasonable price for assembly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Nice Build Steffano2002

Looking at your parts. I can see v little to argue with your choice of equip.

Mobo: Its expensive alright, but come on this is the part of your PC that connects all the other parts, it needs to be good. 2 MAJOR points of this Mobo is that 1) Its supports DDR3 - now although DDR3 is not mainstream yet and when it does become mainstream you may get a better Mobo, that said in 4 / 5 (taking this as a random number) yrs time you have the option of just upgrading your ram, rather than thinking of upgrading the whole mobo and along with it the cpu etc. 2) This Mobo is P35 compatible i.e. it will handle all the dual / quad core cpu's now on the market as well as the new ones that Intel are about to release the 45NM ones. This again will futere proof ur pc so in again 4/5 yrs time looking at upgrading you may just have to look at your RAM and / or CPU.

CPU: Lots of ppl here will point out that there ar no point in Quad Core CPU's as they re not taken advantage of and I agree. They are not NOW taken advantage of. In the future i.e. "future proofing" your PC a Quad Core is a great choice. Although currently most games and software dont support Quad Core and that currently in benchmarks Dual have a 5% better performace marking than their Quad counter parts. It has been proven again and again that when it comes to software and games that do support Quad Core the likes HL2 : EP2 , Crysis and the new Unreal there is a huge 40 - 50% increase in performace in the Quads out shadowing their Dual Core brothers. The cost of the Quad you have there is only 50 euro more than the dual and I think well worth the purchase.

Also note that for one EA and I believe ID have confirmed they will be using patches to support Quad Core with their more popular games. I saw this somewhere but cant find it at the moment.

I think this is a great build. It seems that OcUK are doing a good deal on RAM.

(EDIT:) Im not sure if the above RAM will work on your Mobo, the one that you have chosen though will defo work.

Your GFX is geekgasmic, I love the BFG Gear they give great quality and a lifetime guarentee, let me know how this works for you as Im eyeing up the same piece of kit.

I have the same case. To me a case is a case, this is big enough and gives loads of space for you to work with.

PS: On your Mobo watercooling. This by looks of it is an option to watercool, you dont HAVE to do it.

Advertisement