Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on the prom.

Options
  • 03-08-2007 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

I was just wondering is cycling on the prom footpath allowed? I walk it regularly and I find it annoying and a little dangerous. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nope, it seems.

Took 2 mins googling to find these links for you.

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/pedal-cyclist.html
    http://www.respect.gov.uk/members/article.aspx?id=7988 (UK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Thanks, but I don't get the relevance of the UK link though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cycling on the promenade is not allowed. There are a few signs up saying so, it's just a case of it not being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Aye ther eare signs saying its not allowed. There's also signs saying 'Clean up after yer dog sh1tes all over the place' but no one seems to do it either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Heard of someone being fined over that recently, no urban myth, totally true. So get cleaning after your dogs!

• Advertisement

Heard of someone being fined over that recently, no urban myth, totally true. So get cleaning after your dogs!

Good, nothing worse than trying to go for a relaxing walk with the GF to find sh1te marks (from eejits walking into the stuff) all over the place :eek:

I hear ya! And Dangan was targeted a fortnight ago after a little girl attacked by a leadless dog.

snubbleste wrote:
    Cycling on the promenade is not allowed. There are a few signs up saying so, it's just a case of it not being enforced.

Ya, following my post I went for my usual walk and sure enough there was a sign (albeit a worn one) on a lamppost. Later I rang the corpo and they said that you could ride a bike on the prom - citing that fact there way no by-law in force.

I'm all for cycling, and I'm considering getting a bike myself, but I find cycling the prom unsafe for walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Is jet skiiing along the prom allowed?

This has already been covered extensively on another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

cyclistinsurancexc6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

christonabike.jpg

DRakE wrote:

You'd be doing well considering JetSki's need water to run. And the prom is made of concrete :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

roller skates and ducttape will fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

I dont mind the cyclists. Its the groups of tourists or big families that stroll side by side up the prom that are annoying.
    The path is 10 ft wide but you still have to walk on the road to get past em.

I dont mind the cyclists. Its the groups of tourists or big families that stroll side by side up the prom that are annoying.
    The path is 10 ft wide but you still have to walk on the road to get past em.

LOL so true. Just do what I do - Don't move out of their way and break up their little line. You get dirty looks but it's worth it. Damn them oul' snooty ladies and their fat arses

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

SyxPak wrote:
    cyclistinsurancexc6.jpg

let me guess... Ride of the Valkyrie

and is that dog crap on the tyres :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DRakE wrote:

No, there is no jet-skiing allowed on the bay. There's by-laws from 2001 prohibiting it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No, there is no jet-skiing allowed on the bay. There's by-laws from 2001 prohibiting it.

Inside the city limits . Once you go to Barna and beyond its permitted. The wardens cannot catch you so you can jetski from Barna to the prom and bang away. They can only nick you once you reach a beach inside the city , and if you don't ....:D

You don't have a clue do ya? By-laws (City council) are only valid inside the County Burough, which stops at the shoreline of Galway.

This has been discussed lots on the Galwya forum lately, do some research before throwing about statments like that. There's a reason people are still launching jetski's at Salthill, eventhough there's sign's with that 2001 by-law... and it's not because they're breaking the law.

Put it this way, if I had a jetski i'm as free as the birds to launch it ANYWHERE in Galway Bay at the moment

• Advertisement

for those that are unclear about the regulations of jet skies..

see attachmant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

stevecrow74, where did you get that??
    I've been trying to get a copy of that for months!

I remember there was something about the bay, when you look at a map of the administrative region the the city, there is a half-moon out into the sea from roscam and silver strand to which these regulations applied to as well.

That .doc can be gotten on the Galway city council website. See attached, also found on the city council website. Everything inside this region, the jet-ski's are banned. See, no Galway Bay, hence no ban

I don't know why I keep going on about it, I don't even use a jetski on the bay

what it does mean though is that a jet ski cannot be launched from any slipway into the bay within the county borough..

what it does mean though is that a jet ski cannot be launched from any slipway into the bay within the county borough..

I agree with you there, but think about it....

It's the USE of jet-ski's thats banned, not the posession. So technically you can POSESS a jet-ski at salthill at the slipway, so long as you're not using it on the slipway (Which would be kinda hard)

No law saying you can't launch, it's the USE that's banned (but not really)

See, confusing and VERY grey area atm. An incident during the summer.... A guy launching a jetski, and the cops arrive and have a little word. 5 min's later he's launching the jetski, 10 mins later he's running the engine having some fun with the cops watching

JohnCleary wrote:
    You don't have a clue do ya? By-laws (City council) are only valid inside the County Burough, which stops at the shoreline of Galway.

This has been discussed lots on the Galwya forum lately, do some research before throwing about statments like that. There's a reason people are still launching jetski's at Salthill, eventhough there's sign's with that 2001 by-law... and it's not because they're breaking the law.

Put it this way, if I had a jetski i'm as free as the birds to launch it ANYWHERE in Galway Bay at the moment

What's your problem? I bet you get kicks trying to make other people look stupid. Anyone can make a mistake, but of course your probably without fault.

I saw two signs on the prom across from Kitty O'Sheas recently that stated that jet skis were banned. Forgive me if I didn't fully understand them. Do you spend all day waiting for someone to trip-up and then pounce on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jet ski discussions should be banned as well as jet skis ;)

What's your problem? I bet you get kicks trying to make other people look stupid. Anyone can make a mistake, but of course your probably without fault.

I saw two signs on the prom across from Kitty O'Sheas recently that stated that jet skis were banned. Forgive me if I didn't fully understand them. Do you spend all day waiting for someone to trip-up and then pounce on them?

Yeah, especially YORE MA, I love when she trip's up. In the word's of The Simpsons 'Shes presenting herself' :eek: :D

I've just figured out who you are...strange how that one line let the penny (or rather cent!) drop!

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    Yeah, especially YORE MA, I love when she trip's up. In the word's of The Simpsons 'Shes presenting herself' :eek: :D[/QUOT]

?

Advertisement