Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolans establishing itself on the national circuit?

Options
  • 03-08-2007 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Has Dolans finally established itself as one of the best gig venues of it's size in the country? The Warehouse and Upstairs are among the best venues I've ever seen gigs in, far better than anywhere in Galway, and better than most places in Cork and Dublin. It seems to be refelcted in the type of gigs Dolans are getting now, bands like the Hold Steady and Kasabian, and people like Jesse Malin and Lloyd Cole, which would traditionally have bypassed Limerick. Christy Moore, Sharon Shannon et al have been singing it's praises as a venue and they've played enough to know a good spot when they come across one.

Personally I love the place, all 3 sections (pub, Warehouse and Upstairs), if it was anywhere else in Ireland it would have a much higher profile but it doesn't get the praise it deserves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

always been a great venue. Not mad on the upstairs but the warehouse is the best place to see a band in town. They get too many cover bands though, tickets can be a bit expensive and sometimes the crowd is a bit dodgy. Still definitely best live venue in town. Used to do a great brekkie too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Renesco

Dolans is a great venue for gigs tbh, i've seen some cracking gigs there, like spiritualized and kila

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well The Hold Steady are only playing two concerts in ireland one being Limerick and the other Slane, thats preety impressive

I couldn't believe when I found out kasabian played there, its definetly one of the best in the country now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nice place, and well run by good people.

The food is still excellent there btw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Apparently Stone Sour played in Dolans about a year ago, STONE SOUR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

vkid wrote:
    Used to do a great brekkie too
    The food is still excellent there btw

The breakfast in Dolans was one of the best in town but over the last few months it has gone downhill. A group of us would regularly meet for breakfast there but after a few disapointing breakfasts we started looking for an alternative. We've gone back once or twice since but were once again disapointed. We've given up on the place for breakfast now.

As a music venue it is excellent. It is a pity that sometimes when a good musician/band does decide to include Dolans on their tour that they don't get the crowd that they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ive started going to 'The Bank' a few times for breakfast recently enough, Never go wrong there.

As for Dolans I hope they keep getting bigger and bigger acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Apparently Stone Sour played in Dolans about a year ago, STONE SOUR

It was about four years ago, and yep they did play a gig there (was at it meself!). Couple of other famous international metal acts who performed there included Dillinger Escape Plan, Raging Speedhorn and One Minute Silence. Fair play to the guys there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

bobmeaney wrote:
    It was about four years ago, and yep they did play a gig there (was at it meself!). Couple of other famous international metal acts who performed there included Dillinger Escape Plan, Raging Speedhorn and One Minute Silence. Fair play to the guys there!

I wasnt too big into metal back then so i probably didnt notice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

great place for gigs. Check out a band called Vesta Varro playing in the warehouse the weekend of the 21st Sept.

Gonna be class:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

some decent events i seen snow patrol in there a good few years back.. although the sound system is pretty bad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

the sound in Dolans is recognised as one of the best venues in Ireland of it's size. You should check out the Savoy in Cork or the Roisin in Galway if you want to compare sound systems, Dolans is far and away better than both. (similar sized venues)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i have dj'd in two of the venues u have mentioned including dolans and trust me there is plenty of room for improvment.. also amazo did ya get my apoligy in the limerick stag forum??

its great sound for bands alright but i agree with cm, the sound is brutal to hear a dj but its not a night club so i suppose thats why

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dolans is a great venue to go out in. Really relaxing, nice place, good pints and reasonable cost to get into the warehouse and see a band. My only issue with it is the choice of gigs they tend to have. Remember when the boathouse was open and you could go in most weekends and get some kickass live sets and cool alternative concerts? I mean Dolans has a great venue, but they too often waste it with cover band after cover band after cover band and the likes of your a-typical, couldnt be more dull one irishman and his guitar ****e ala Paddy Casey, David Kitt and Mundy.
    Yes they did get in Kasabian, and Ash a few years back too, Snow Patrol etc. but by and large, its the same old same old in there and that has to change for it to elevate itself further.

Dolans is a great venue to go out in. Really relaxing, nice place, good pints and reasonable cost to get into the warehouse and see a band. My only issue with it is the choice of gigs they tend to have. Remember when the boathouse was open and you could go in most weekends and get some kickass live sets and cool alternative concerts? I mean Dolans has a great venue, but they too often waste it with cover band after cover band after cover band and the likes of your a-typical, couldnt be more dull one irishman and his guitar ****e ala Paddy Casey, David Kitt and Mundy.
    Yes they did get in Kasabian, and Ash a few years back too, Snow Patrol etc. but by and large, its the same old same old in there and that has to change for it to elevate itself further.

I agree, but lately there's been a big improvement, guys like the Hold Steady and Lloyd Cole are pretty credible acts.

that is so true dr..the lineups there are often very poor. A few big bands a year isnt enough when the rest of the year is full of the same old same old.

I agree, but lately there's been a big improvement, guys like the Hold Steady and Lloyd Cole are pretty credible acts.

Llyod Cole is a has been in fairness

I dunno, he still some great songs, don't think he was ever a stadium sized rocker.

*cm* wrote:
    i have dj'd in two of the venues u have mentioned including dolans and trust me there is plenty of room for improvment.. also amazo did ya get my apoligy in the limerick stag forum??

No apology needed cm.

• Advertisement

I dunno, he still some great songs, don't think he was ever a stadium sized rocker.

but he was at his prime in the late 80's and he's trading on past glories. Don't want to come across as slating Dolans as it can be great but the reality is as Dr. B put it and i used to go regularly. will only go now if its something i really want to see(they let some dodgy heads in there sometimes so i have to convince the missus as well)
    great venue but could be so much better imo
    my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

First time I went there was to see the amazing Arlo Guthrie. Been a half dozen times since & apart from a couple of disappointments it's been very good

Advertisement