Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 year old Irish whiskey

Options
  • 03-08-2007 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I grew up in a pub and I am in possession of a bottle of whiskey (Dublin Whiskey) which has been handed down through the generations. I have established that it is dated around the turn of the 20th century having made contact with the Irish Distillers. The label is somewhat smoke damaged as it sat on a high shelf in the pub for all that time. It is a 10 year old reserve Dublin whiskey from circa 1900.

My question really is - does anyone have suggestions as to my best market / forum to sell this to get the best possible price?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I refer you to boards member - Karl hungus - Search the username.

He's a man who's very knowledgeable in all things whiskey. Just don't let him buy it off you for less than about €400 !!! (price maybe too low/high)

EDIT - Screw that. You may as well drink it! Get all the family round and everyone should have a shot. No point in selling or keeping it much longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

Try looking at eBay... Buy the way it is 100 years old but it won't technically be a "100 year old"... When a whiskey claims its 10, 18, 21 year old etc. It means its been aged in cask for that amount of time. Once its put in the bottle it doesn't get classed as being aged.

Definitely worth some cash though! I'd say that would be quite a sought after collectors item. The oldest Whiskey known was sold at auction about 8 months ago for £14850. That was estimated to be about 150 years old! There's definitely potential there for some big money!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

Also, i forgot to mention it was only half a bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

The celtic whiskey shop is keen to find and buy rare whiskeys so I think they will at least value it for you? But I dunno

Theres the wanted details page!

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/asp/index.asp?ObjectID=1061&Mode=0&RecordID=9&t=615191761

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I'd be careful of selling it to a retailer who wants to sell it on for a profit.... surely cut out the middle man and get the true value of your whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

The best place to sell it would be in the Celtic Whiskey shop on Dawson Street. You could leave it on the shelf and take most of the sale price. If it's 100 yrs old, does not have much evapouration and is in reasonably good condition, you should get a lot of money for it.

I regularly sell whiskey there and Ally is very fair.

Alternatively, you could sell it at McTears auctions in Glasgow or www.whiskyauction.com.

I would be very confident that the Celtic Whiskey shop would get you the best price, though.

Another option would be to go to someone like Blooms Hotel, which has a bar with a wide whiskey range. They might give you a lot for it.

I think the price could be anywhere between €600 to well over €1,000.

Can you post a picture of it?

By the way, is it DWD whiskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

I was away for a few days. Thanks for all the pointers.

Somebody was telling me that Michael Flatley has a whiskey cellar and collects rare bottles. I must also look into contacting him directly as money would certainly be no object to him!!

I'll post a pic either later this evening or tomorrow at some point.

Yes, that's true about flatley. I was actually going to suggest that. There is contact info on his website, but I have tried to contact him before about whiskey and got no response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carryboy

I wonder how a hundred year old whiskey tastes.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I have some whiskey from the 1940s. As mentioned, I think, whiskey does not really change once it's bottled, unless it is contaminated.

Whiskey from back then was very different. Hard to describe. They used any old casks to mature the whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I refer you to boards member - Karl hungus - Search the username.

He's a man who's very knowledgeable in all things whiskey. Just don't let him buy it off you for less than about €400 !!! (price maybe too low/high)

I feel humbled. :o

Sadly, I won't be making any offers on this myself. ;)
    Definitely worth some cash though! I'd say that would be quite a sought after collectors item. The oldest Whiskey known was sold at auction about 8 months ago for £14850. That was estimated to be about 150 years old! There's definitely potential there for some big money!

Indeed, there could be serious money in this, and I think the best course of action is to contact the same auctioneers who sold that bottle of whiskey.

Good point Karl.

Happy Acid Face, do you recall who auctioned that 150 year old bottle?

The highest offer I am at right now is 1500 which isn't bad but I could hold onto it just as easily holding out for more down the line....it doesn't take up much space! ;)

You could contact the people who are trying to sell the Nun's Island whiskey for something like £100 k. Of course, it will never sell at this price.

I think your offer of 1,500 is not bad at all.

The one that went for £14,000 was the oldest scotch whisky known, so it was worth more.

They produce whiskey today that goes for more than that. For example, a bottle of Dalmore 64 sold in a hotel bar for £34k. The guy drank it there and then and shared some with the bar man, I believe. Some Macallans also fetch huge prices.

Blimey, 100k! Mine would be much more of a bargain at 95k!!! ;)

I've e-mailed them anyway and lets see what becomes of that.

Unfortunately, the value of that whiskey is only about 5 k, or maybe a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

5k for a bottle thats half empty of whiskey? Still its not bad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Can you post a picture of the label JB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 trapper15

I have a i litre bottle of Jack Daniels 1905 ligue gold medal commemorative whiskey since 1999 together with a registered certificate. it says its from bottling no 3.The box s in very good condition as im told this is important.Can anybody tell me how much its worth ..if anything..:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Did the OP ever sell the whiskey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mkeene24

My great aunt just passed away(rip)... And while we were cleaning the house out we found a bottle of Hayner whiskey that was made in fall 1911 and bottled in fall 1916. The seal is deteriorated on the top but you can tell the cork has never been pulled. Any idea on the worth of this whiskey??We also have the paper cover whack is semi cracked but the tape is also unbroken.

Could you post a picture or give more info on what's on the label?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

People post some pictures for us and we can help you better.
    To the origial op was your bottle half drank or is it a "half" ie 35cl size bottle?

It's an American whiskey. They don't tend to reach anywhere near the prices of single malt scotch whisky, but a pre-prohibition one is interesting.

The best place to ask might be www.straightbourbon.com

Sorry for the delay...busy during the holidays. Here are some pictures to go by...

one more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Brockagh wrote: »
    You could contact the people who are trying to sell the Nun's Island whiskey for something like £100 k. Of course, it will never sell at this price.

I think your offer of 1,500 is not bad at all.

The one that went for £14,000 was the oldest scotch whisky known, so it was worth more.

They produce whiskey today that goes for more than that. For example, a bottle of Dalmore 64 sold in a hotel bar for £34k. The guy drank it there and then and shared some with the bar man, I believe. Some Macallans also fetch huge prices.

Doesn't it sell for $160,000 a bottle?

A Macallan 64 went for something like $450,000 at auction recently, breaking the very new record set by Dalmore Trinitas, which went for £100,000. Two of the Trinitas sold, leaving one. There was only one bottle of this particular Macallan 64 made and it was sold for charity...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Because its American Id say scouring the us based websites would be better.

Advertisement