Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Smyth and Menlo Castle

Options
  • 03-08-2007 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the details of Noel Smyth's plans to develop Menlo Castle in return for getting the top floor for himself?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No planning application has been made yet, only a proposal.

In 2000 there was much talk about the possibility of its redevelopment. Galway born businessman Noel Smyth made an offer of €5 million to re-develop the castle but since then no progress has been made.

A report issued to city councillors in 2006 said City Hall had been in contact with Mr Smyth to “finalise any outstanding matters” on the issue. It also said: “The corporation will give a long term lease to the top floor of the castle to the private developer to use as a private residential unit.”

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=7737&PHPSESSID=c0e2717b3bd9b34852a8bf80881a4bc9

Interesting to see the city council still being referred to as 'corporation' in 2007 newspapers!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

snubbleste wrote:
    Interesting to see the city council still being referred to as 'corporation'

At a guesss, I'd imagine that's because Smyth first approached the then City Manager Joe Gavin in 1998, when it was still the Corporation, and all initial documentation would have been drawn up prior to the changeover to City Council, which I think was around 2001/2.

Anyhoo, it's only a name change. I still call Opal Fruits by their real name! :)

Advertisement