Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Audi is dead car walking....

Options
  • 03-08-2007 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

As mentioned on another thread I took my car in for front end diagnosis I asked them to do an oil pressure check and as I had quietly been suspecting (but not willing to say) my car has a shagged camshaft.

The mechanic said as the front end clunk and rumble are'nt critical for while (also need a brake master cylinder) don't bother spending anymore money on the A6 and get rid proberly within the next 6 months before the engine finally goes.

Oh well I bought a lemon.

So I'll thrash the A6 for a while as I look for a new chariot. Then if I can arrange it I'll find space and look to removing the bits and pieces that are worth a decent amount in the used parts market.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you mean dead car driving!

sorry to hear dude...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

That's a shame Mike.

Focus on the positive, replacement car on the horizon - I presume you will be trawling the Mercedes Benz searches on Carzone et all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You're ahead of me! :D

I always knew I'd return to the 3 star fold just not quite so soon. Still here's my hit list

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What happened to that 230 you were interested in, Mike? Looked like a bargain!

Well its still for sale. I'm in Cork on Tuesday and I may give the guy a call if I have some spare time and he's not far out of my way.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sorry to hear about your trouble Mike.

Anyway this would be my front runner out of the list you have:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=760822

Even taxed up to next May and NCT'd to April 2009. Looks like Charlie Haughey's old company car. :D

Though this is tempting also but not sure it should be used as an every day car: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=476173

Or how about something Swedish and a bit quicker?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=599704
    (Obviously without the terrible aftermarket steering wheel)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sorry to hear about that Mike as it looked like a nice car. Is it not economical to repair?

bazz26 wrote:
    Anyway this would be my front runner out of the list you have:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=760822

Looks like a bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Mike, surely those things are fixable?

I bought a brake master cylinder for my DA6 for 20 euro. Came out of a low miles recently crashed Accord and looked almost new :). Took an hour to fit, incl bleeding the brakes.

Replacing a camshaft is not much worse than doing a timing belt. Unless you meant crankshaft?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Oh god, WHY would anyone put that poxy steering wheel in a Volvo? Surely a Volvo of that vintage would have had an airbag in the steering wheel too... Oo, maybe i just answered my own question!

• Advertisement

The top-end of a 20v ADR engine is VERY expensive, over a grand including the change of cambelt (which would be due soon anyway) and supporting/associated parts (roller bearings, waterpump impeller, etc). Add the wheel bearing for the passenger wheel, suspension strut (drivers side), the brake cylinder and all the labour costs and it would be foolish to bother.

Sometimes it a good idea to cut your losses :) I'll deffo get a few bob back stripping the good bits off it.

Mike.

Cost of all parts (2nd hand where practical) is probably less than 300 euro?
    Satisfaction from fixing it up yourself is priceless. :)

I'd give it a lash (if it was my car). Could be a nice little project.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

JHMEG wrote:
    Cost of all parts (2nd hand where practical) is probably less than 300 euro?

€300 for the top end of an engine, a waterpump, cambelt, brake cylinder, fancy audi suspension bits... Most parts will have to be new too except for the head.

I agree about saving cars and all though. At home we just spent about 1500 on a 1995 Ford Mondeo diesel rather than let it go to the scrapper, even though it is only worth €500 (in case anyone asks because it has been in the family from new, has never made an unscheduled visit to a garage, and has done almost 200k and is still clocking up 20k a year!)

Spurious waterpump ~50, cambelt 20, pulley prob about 50, 2nd hand brake cyl 20, camshaft from wrecked car 50 (does the whole head need to be done cos of a gammy camshaft?), wheel bearing 50 (or less). Dunno what the story is re the suspension: is it bushes? If so get polyurethene ones (20-30 euro) and burn out the old ones. This bit alone is excellent fun!

That's about 270 euro. Jeez, I dunno, I'd buy the Merc and fix up the Audi in my spare time and sell it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

bazz26 wrote:
    Or how about something Swedish and a bit quicker?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=599704
    (Obviously without the terrible aftermarket steering wheel)

I'd be a bit wary of that Volvo. Less than 80k miles on a 13 year old car + obviously owned by a boy racer with as you said the after market steering and also the gear stick. And look at the state of the back seats

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I would touch a w210, esp an early one at 3 grand!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sorry to hear about this Mike. Looked like a nice car from the pics you posted previously.

Tell ya what, I'll sell you my Passat, and buy an A6 for myself? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hi Mike, what year is that A6, and how many miles?
    Is it the 1.8t model? Sometimes they can have problems with oil as the turbo tends to cook it.

• Advertisement

Would all be worth considering but for my aversion to paying more than 550 euro a year in road tax. :(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

irish1 has the bug! :D I was looking at your thread on Classic Cars and thought just for a moment maybe now would be the time to Go Classic and not bother with a modern car at all. There's fella down in Skibereen with a nice autobox 230 from 1977.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I sure do I'm sitting here cursing the rain because I wanted to take the Merc out but that much power in wet weather is just asking for trouble.

A 230 classic might be worth a look only restriction is the insurance and milage you can do although perhaps you could get standard insurance. €50 Tax is great and tbh Merc's were really well built back in the 70's and early 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ninty9er wrote:
    This is more like it linky

60k miles on a ten year old Legacy? Can't say I'd trust that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bazz26 wrote:
    I think a member of boards.ie owns that.

I think you might be right, but it was still worth taking the piss out of the ad :D:D

Fair enough if it was a 156 or LS 430 or something but a Safrane!!!!

Edit: it's stekelly's car methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=715456

715456_20070612040613_1.jpg

What's your thoughts on a nice Jag? (don't bother taxing it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Naahhh ...mike is the perfect candidate for a Saab 9000.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=706026

Great cars, really (if they haven't been neglected).

Comfy, safe, spacious, well equipped and reasonably swift (fast even as the 2.3 liter) ...and the boot is so much bigger than an Octavia's :D

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    What's your thoughts on a nice Jag?

A pre '95 XJ? You're having a laugh, surely? Even a FIAT Ritmo was better built / more reliable than that :)
    peasant wrote:
    and the boot is so much bigger than an Octavia's :D

Nope, the Octavia's boot p!sses over almost any other boot, including the one on my 7-series, which in turn is bigger than the one on a Saab 9000. Unless you start folding down seats etc.

Anyway, mike65 needs a merc. He hasn't been happy with an Audi. He sure wouldn't be happy with a Volvo, Jag, Lexus and not even with a BMW :)

Advertisement