Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

climbing plants

Options
  • 03-08-2007 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone here knows about climbing plants.
    I need to get a few for the back garden but they must be non toxic to pets.
    I have found a list but unfortunatly it does not tell you if plants are indoor/outdoor/shrub/herb or whatever. I have trawled through a few to no avail. Can anyone offer some info on what i should be looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This website shows a list of toxic plants, it is american but most of the plants are common to here http://www.sniksnak.com/plants-toxic.html

As far as climbing plants are concerned, the following are toxic to some extent to animals: clematis, ivy, honeysuckle (lonicera), solanum, Virginia creeper, hydrangea, boston ivy, wisteria

Plants that seem to be ok include:
    Passion flower, cotoneaster horizontalis, pyracantha (firethorn) - these two are not really climbers but they can be persuaded to grow up a wall, trained (espalliered) fruit trees, rose.

Having said that, I have had both children and pets in gardens with all the above supposedly toxic plants growing and had no problems, mainly because they don't tend to eat the garden plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

we have a small animal santuary, and have all the plants, and never have a sick dog or cat, out animals are freerange during the day, the chicks live as well

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

old boy wrote:
    we have a small animal santuary, and have all the plants, and never have a sick dog or cat, out animals are freerange during the day, the chicks live as well

THank you both for your replies! I am just worried that because it will be new to some of them that they will just have to eat everything in the garden!! I have bundles of herbs that are safe but would love soem climbers. We definitely have 2 nibblers here and i would hate for them to get sick.

I'll do a bit more research.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

We've a dog with pyracantha, ivy, clematis, cotoneaster and is full of the joys of life.

I think, think, that even if you've a nibbling pet, a mouthful ingested wouldn't kill them, but instinctively they know it's not for public/canine /feline consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We have a cat that, when it was younger if it felt it wasn't getting enough attnetion would go and sit beside a house plant and nip bits off it and spit them out. It was very pointed, he only did it if he was sure someone was watching. Anyway he's now 19 so he seems to be surviving in spite of it.
    Those plants that are toxic, I would think there is a wide interpretation of 'toxic' and they are not necessarily going to kill an animal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement