Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposbale camera --- digital prints??

• 03-08-2007 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

i have a disposable camera and i was wondering can you get digital prints of it from a photo shop or something. anyone know anything????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

presumably they'd just be normal prints... like dropping a roll of film (remember that?) in for d&p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Scan the prints or preferably the negatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

sor10 wrote:
    i have a disposable camera and i was wondering can you get digital prints of it from a photo shop or something. anyone know anything????
    Get someone with a good digital camera to take pictures of the actual photos. I have done this with some old photos using a fuji finepix s5000 and they came out really well.
    I even used this cam to take a pic through one of the old school little red viewers on a key chain (little gimmick from the very early 80's in Irish schools) and it came out excellently.
    So If your looking for an easy way to do it for storage and reproduction purposes this should work.
    (I'm not sure about scanners, haven't used them as yet) so that might be just as good if not better. Good luck.

Well a scanner and a digital camera are essentially the same thing, a CCD sensor. The scanner would be better suited tho as it is designed that particular function. However if you don't have access to a decent scanner taking a shot with your digi camera is a good alternative.

5uspect wrote:
    Well a scanner and a digital camera are essentially the same thing, a CCD sensor. The scanner would be better suited tho as it is designed that particular function. However if you don't have access to a decent scanner taking a shot with your digi camera is a good alternative.
    On that point, would it be worth getting a good scanner for this purpose. I'd like to get one to scan in textures for design work eventually. Or should I save the expense and stick to my camera? Does the scanner offer a better option given time to learn to use it properly?
    recommend a good scanner, or do I even need one? Thanks.

• Advertisement

There's some good canon scanners out there, but the specific model escapes me. There's also plenty of el cheapo scanners about for €30 or €40 but these tend to be a bit noisy image wise.

Ultimately your camera is limited by its optics, you may not be able to capture fine details that a high dpi scanner can and there may be barrel distortions image noise and chromatic aberrations on sharp edges etc. These can mostly be fixed after in photoshop.

Scanners aren't difficult to use either.

If you are getting adequate results with your camera I'd stick with that, scanners take up a good bit of desk space anyway!
    Tho there are some cool little ones...

5uspect wrote:
    There's some good canon scanners out there, but the specific model escapes me. There's also plenty of el cheapo scanners about for €30 or €40 but these tend to be a bit noisy image wise.

Ultimately your camera is limited by its optics, you may not be able to capture fine details that a high dpi scanner can and there may be barrel distortions image noise and chromatic aberrations on sharp edges etc. These can mostly be fixed after in photoshop.

Scanners aren't difficult to use either.

If you are getting adequate results with your camera I'd stick with that, scanners take up a good bit of desk space anyway!
    Tho there are some cool little ones...
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Advertisement