Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD advice, budget 1300

Options
  • 03-08-2007 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

Looking to buy a 32" (possibly bigger). Mainly used to watch sports on NTL digital, and DVDs but not really interested in gaming consoles.

What do you recommend? Should I try to get 1080p or is difference with 1080i not noticeable? But does getting 1080p make the tv more future proof?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

kifi wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Looking to buy a 32" (possibly bigger). Mainly used to watch sports on NTL digital, and DVDs but not really interested in gaming consoles.

What do you recommend? Should I try to get 1080p or is difference with 1080i not noticeable? But does getting 1080p make the tv more future proof?

Thanks

Far as i can remember, the smallest LCD Tv available that actually displays at 1080P is 37 inches. Quite a few would argue at that screen size you're going to be hard pressed to spot any difference between 1080i and 1080p.

It's going to be a long time, if ever, before 1080P programing has a foothold, so between that and screen size, 1080P probably isn't something to worry about.

If you want a TV that accepts a 1080P signal and scales it down to 1080i, there's the Sony 32D3000. It also has a 100hz refresh rate which (it is claimed) reduces motion blur caused on LCD screens by fast movement, such as a soccer game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the sony is an alright tv... a better (and cheaper) alternative is the Panasonic TX-32LX70, €1199.... great tv. same specs as the sony but far better picture. again, accepts 1080p, but downscales it to 1080i.

moe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have the TX-32LX70 Moe mentions above and it's a superb TV. Standard definition signals look excellent on it with little pixelation and of course HD signals look amazing. A fantastic purchase, I'm very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

As xanthor mentioned only 37" TV;s will have 1080p there are a rare 32" here & there that do.

For that money well you can get either a 32" or 40" display that is really meant for 720p (it accepts 1080i but scales it down and even then the signal is interlaced your just better off with 720p).

If you want something big try the Samsung 40" LCD-TV LE40R87BD, latest gen panel from Samsung and comes with 3 HDMI ports plus a load of other inputs. The remainder of the cash can go on a upscaling DVD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

If you're in Dublin, this offer for a Sony KDL-40P2530U from peats could be worth checking out.
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=21835
    40" bravia for €1099.99

• Advertisement

the P series is crap though. picture is brutal on it unless you're using HD. and even with HD, there's serious motion blurring.

moe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

There is a Samsung 32" telly in Currys for just under €900. It is a good model, has your 3 HDMI ports, 2 scarts and has a nice design. It is one of the more cheaper options, but it is quite a nice TV let me tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

was in currys yesterday and was looking at a 42" plasma samsung for around 1300. It seems to me that the plasmas pic quality is in general superior to LCD. Cant remember the exact model of the plasma, but it seems like a good deal?

kifi wrote:
    was in currys yesterday and was looking at a 42" plasma samsung for around 1300. It seems to me that the plasmas pic quality is in general superior to LCD. Cant remember the exact model of the plasma, but it seems like a good deal?

Yes the Samsung 42" Plasma is a good model. It's a new enough model, 3 HDMI ports on it which is a good thing :D . To be honest that model of the samsung in the plasma has the highest picture quality out of all the other Plasma's in currys.
    wrote:
    It seems to me that the plasmas pic quality is in general superior to LCD.
    The LCD televisions do actually have a much better quality pic on them than the Plasma, this is clear when you look at the carefully or when two are side by side, one plasma one lcd. Lcd always has a much brighter picture than a plasma, but this can cause motion blurring. Where as the plasma has a less good picture quality, this is to stop motion blurring and is generally used for sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

But would the motion blur between a plasma and a 5ms response time LCD be noticeable?

I saw another 40" LCD (Samsung), in Powercity today, model le4082b @1300euro.

so now its between this and the 42" plasma!!!

• Advertisement

kifi wrote:
    But would the motion blur between a plasma and a 5ms response time LCD be noticeable?

I saw another 40" LCD (Samsung), in Powercity today, model le4082b @1300euro.

so now its between this and the 42" plasma!!!

If your really big into watching your TV then you will notice all these little things. If I was going for a telly I would go for the LCD over the plasma, much better picture quality in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

big_moe wrote:
    the sony is an alright tv... a better (and cheaper) alternative is the Panasonic TX-32LX70, €1199.... great tv. same specs as the sony but far better picture. again, accepts 1080p, but downscales it to 1080i.

moe

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/lcd-plasma-tv/lcd-tv-ab46/Search.html

Advertisement