Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house and BT

Options
  • 03-08-2007 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

I am moving house next week so I sent BT in a relocation form to transfer my broadband to new address.

I know the house I am moving into already has a BT line and they have broadband.

Yet BT are telling me it will be 6 weeks minimum before I get phone line and broadband working...anyone know how it is possible to take so long to do something that should be as trivial as changing a name/account number associated with a phone line?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They can't transfer the name on the account at the new house to you. The current tenant/owner needs to cancel the BB and line, this will then revert back to eircom. You need to then get eircom to activate the line in your name and give you an account number. You can then have BT take over the line and get BB running on it again.

A line transfer with BT isn't so much a transfer as a new connection. If you're out of your contract at the current address then you may be as well to cancel that and start fresh at the new address. That's what I did when I moved. Took about 6 weeks from when I moved in to get BT up and running.

If the current tenant hasn't stopped the BB on the line then this may cause a further delay in you getting it. However, you may also be able to use their BB while it's still active and they haven't cancelled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just to follow up on this point. I filled out the relocation information at the start of June and asked for the New phone line to be setup at the start of July. On the 3rd of July the service was cut off in the old house and the new line has just been confirmed as working in the new house today which is some 6 weeks later.

Should i be entitled to not pay BT for 6 weeks now where we have essentially been without a landline and without a BB connection?

Advertisement