Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Godfather - responsibilities and present ideas?

• 03-08-2007 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

So, i'm godfather to my niece at a Christening taking place a week from tomorrow.

Anyone know exactly what this involves in the ceremony? Think it just involves the priest bestowing responsibilities on you as a godparent and you abiding to them by saying "i will" or "i do" or some such. Would this be accurate?

Oh, and anybody have any ideas of a present from a godfather? What i really wanted to do was set up a savings account for her and lodge in some money every now and then.. and then when she's 16 or whatever, she can do with the money what she pleases (holidays, towards a car etc.). But AIB said only her parents can open her account.

PS - apologies to mods but was gonna put this in 'Christianity' but didn't think it specifically belonged there.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think you have to keep an eye out for satan, but other than that... 20 euro on the regular occasions would be common enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Anyone can open a post office account for her if you borrow the birth cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mostly standing there with the rest of the party and reciting the vows. A bank account is not a bad idea. Being godfather is a bit like being a favourite uncle. Long-term you need to remember Christmas and birthdays and generally be nice to the child. Enjoy.:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You don't have to do anything to taxing at the ceremony. Just stand there and look pretty (or at least not hungover). Occasionnally have to say something like "I do". As for presents just give a tenner more than the rest of your brothers and sisters give her at the special occassions, that's what I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yep you have to renounce Satan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

6th wrote:
    Yep you have to renounce Satan.

He's actually a nice guy but you get into one fight with God over the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

basquille wrote:
    Anyone know exactly what this involves in the ceremony? Think it just involves the priest bestowing responsibilities on you as a godparent and you abiding to them by saying "i will" or "i do" or some such. Would this be accurate?

Yes, IIRC. I did it about 3 years ago and all I had to do was say "I will" a few times when the priest asks about rejecting Satan and the like. (although I kept my fingers crossed when saying it so it didn't count - go Satan!).

As for presents, I usually get her clothes. Buying clothes for babies and toddlers is easy - the sizes are given in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mordeth wrote:
    I think you have to keep an eye out for satan, but other than that... 20 euro on the regular occasions would be common enough
    Responsibilities was the wrong word really. I was thinking more of where do i fit in in the whole christening ceremony? And as for the present idea, i was thinking more of a christening present (for her, as her godfather) than a general birthday present.
    6th wrote:
    Anyone can open a post office account for her if you borrow the birth cert.
    Yeah, maybe. Think it's a similar sort of setup in a credit union too.

I see AlmightyCushion and is_that_so has answered where i fit in with regards to the ceremony. Cheers for that.
    agamemnon wrote:
    Yes, IIRC. I did it about 3 years ago and all I had to do was say "I will" a few times when the priest asks about rejecting Satan and the like. (although I kept my fingers crossed when saying it so it didn't count - go Satan!).
    I'll fight the urge! ;)
    agamemnon wrote:
    As for presents, I usually get her clothes. Buying clothes for babies and toddlers is easy - the sizes are given in years.
    Yeah, have bought her a couple of outfits already. I sort of expected something a bit more special for a christening gift so might get something small (like clothes or whatever) and look into the post office / credit union account idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

As Godfather, you cannot refuse a request on you daughter's wedding day, no matter how bad it may seem.............oh wait, am I thinking of a different Godfather? Meh, tomato-potato, it's all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

agamemnon wrote:

A friend of mine was asked to be Godfather to his nephew and informed the proud parents that he wouldn't be renouncing Satan or anyone else for that matter. When it came to the ceremony the priest was met with stubborn silence. Christening went something like this...

:) Do you reject Satan and all his works?
    :cool: ...
    :) You do, yeah...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Being an atheist I don't care bout' saying "I do" all the time, as long as it gets me outta the church into the pub quicker.

Though it would be fun to question the priest:

Priest: "Do you reject Satan and all his works?"
    Me: "Eh, well depends really what you mean. Rock and Heavy Metal are seen as Satan's work, as are certain TV shows, books, computer games, potato-powered torches, etc. I sure as hell ain't given up my hobbies and favourite things for a soon-to-be ungrateful little shít!
    *Takes baby and chucks him across altar*
    Priest: "Good grief, man!!"
    Me: "I'm hitting the pub, ya coming bro'?
    Brother: "Meh, okay. I didn't even want a kid anyways!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My Aunt and Uncle are my godparents and I never got anything extra from them and they never treated me any different to my brother. What a swizz! My parents should have picked some rich friends to be my god parents! My aunt and uncle have just been there for me like an aunt and uncle... nothing extra or special!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

basquille wrote:
    And as for the present idea, i was thinking more of a christening present (for her, as her godfather) than a general birthday present.

I got a lovely claddagh pendant when I was Godfather to my niece.. something she can have for when she's older.. picked one up in a jewellers on Nassau Street...

She got a pretty cool ceramic piggybank thing - you fill it up and smash it open once it's full.. :)

You could try looking here as well..

But my present was the best ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you could get her a christening bracklet with her name on it. i got my god son a silver picture frame. the present is usually silver. newbridge have nice christening things. i got stung as i had to buy the other two kids something as well so they wont feel left out.

my godchild's christening was the day after the boards beers last august, i went out for one drink at got home at 5am - was left to the church stinking of beer and hungover to fu.ck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I bought two of my nieces limited edition silver coins - I think the Central Bank did do a limited edition this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Gift idea from that 'special' Godfather-
    http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8913/horsehead206py6.jpg

Can be purchased here- http://kropserkel.com/horse_head_pillow.htm

edited to add-
    On a more serious note, I was lined up to be Godfather before my Godson was born, so had the opportunity to buy all the daily newspapers on the day of his birth (and the next day, with the birth announcement in them and the news for his actual birthday), along with the local weekly papers and a good selection of monthly magazines on a wide variety of subjects. I plan to give them to him on the occasion of his 21st birthday.
    Depends on the age of your Godchild, but something like that might be worth thinking about for the future.
    For the actual Christening, something in silver is traditional, as other posters have mentioned.

Victor wrote:
    I bought two of my nieces limited edition silver coins - I think the Central Bank did do a limited edition this year.

Aye - that's a pretty cool idea... someone suggested a crate of "investment" wine, from the birth year, to me when I was trying to decide.. but I know zero about wine so kinda ruled it out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Whatever you do, don't buy a picture frame. Weddings and babies seem to bring out the picture frame idea in bloody everyone! My sister has a load of unused ones at home from when my niece was born and christened.

I got my niece a gorgeous silver christening box, kinda like a jewellery box with her date of birth and the date of her christening engraved on it. It's something she can keep.

Most jewellers will have a range of christening gifts so pop in and have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

As regards presents-you make 'em an offer they can't refuse.

(A new soother usually does the trick;))

As regards presents-you make 'em an offer they can't refuse.

(A new soother usually does the trick;))

One of these... :)

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11130068/Funny_Pacifiers.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't know anything about the christening ceremony itself, as I couldn't make it to my godchilds one.
    As for gifts, I occasionally buy those things from the post office that I can't think of the name of right now. You need to have one of the parents present with the childs birth cert, but if you're in a small town, you really only need to do this once or twice.
    I also occasionally take my godchild out to one of the local pubs fo a meal (no, I don't drink while doing this).
    Got her a crappy pc for her last birthday. Nothing special about it, but it's good enough for a 6 year old. Get them started while they're young.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I think what Terry is thinking of is Prize Bonds. They're a good chirstening gift as she can cash them in when she hits 16 (or later, I just chose that as it seemed to be the age you'd let her access the savings account) even if they've not won anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yep. That's the one. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Rovi wrote:

LOL :D

Massive amounts of alcohol + internet + credit card= bad combination :D

Still, if you had a mate marrying an Italian, set the scene on the stag night continually warning about how her dad and brothers will have him in the back of a bin truck if he messes up, then leave this on his bed as he collapses drunk :) Some shock in the morning

Advertisement