Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol quality - Is there a difference between petrol stations?

Options
  • 03-08-2007 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Some people swear by one company and others by another.
    But is there actually any difference in the quality of petrol
    depending on the station ie Texaco, Statoil, Campus, Maxol, Shell, Esso???????

If there is a difference how can you tell?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Each company adds additives to the raw fuel after it arrives in the terminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

For quality always buy from a station with a quick turnaround of fuel, this limits the possibility of contamination from fuel lying in tanks for weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    For quality always buy from a station with a quick turnaround of fuel, this limits the possibility of contamination from fuel lying in tanks for weeks/months.
    Like Statoil on Usher's Island!

Know it's been discussed before, but is Shell V-Power worth the extra 5c per litre?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

in Ireland it's a complete ripoff because it's the same fuel as octane 95. In the UK and some other countries it's 98-99 though. Australia is 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This is because of higher tax on fuel over 95 octane right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

in Ireland it's a complete ripoff because it's the same fuel as octane 95. In the UK and some other countries it's 98-99 though. Australia is 100.

shell v power is still only 95ron here?? ah damn

anybody know any petrol stations that supply 97ron or above petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

draffodx wrote:
    shell v power is still only 95ron here?? ah damn

anybody know any petrol stations that supply 97ron or above petrol?

Almost impossible to get 97ron in the Republic, all those performance Jap imports like Evos or WRXs have to be retunned to run on 95ron down here so they loose a few bhp in the process afaik.

97ron a bit more common over the border though afaik.

bazz26 wrote:
    Almost impossible to get 97ron in the Republic, all those performance Jap imports like Evos or WRXs have to be retunned to run on 95ron down here so they loose a few bhp in the process afaik.

97ron a bit more common over the border though afaik.

bloody republic!!!!!!!

I need 98ron to run a Accord Type R when i get one, better start stocking up on octane booster

As for the quality of petrol of one company versus an other, would better quality fuel get you more miles out of your tank?

draffodx wrote:
    I need 98ron to run a Accord Type R when i get one,
    I think the ecu should be able to adapt to 95ron. You will lose some bhp though.

tuxy wrote:
    I think the ecu should be able to adapt to 95ron. You will lose some bhp though.

alot of people have reported serious problems running them on 95ron especially the 99/00 pre face lift model

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Shell V Power is the same rating but each time I use it I get more miles to a tank, I NEVER get over 300 miles normally but I always get over 300 when I use V Power - like 310 to 315.

Other than that I can't tell any difference.

I also filled up with 99RON V Power in Co. Down and didn't really notice any difference in performance.

Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

draffodx wrote:
    alot of people have reported serious problems running them on 95ron especially the 99/00 pre face lift model

Theyre telling fibs so they are! All hondas have a built in knock sensor which retards the timing to adjust to the lower grade fuel. I had an old preldue typeS which ran perfectly on 95 unleaded and that had a very similar engine in it to the accrod typeR.

richie_rvf wrote:
    I also filled up with 99RON V Power in Co. Down and didn't really notice any difference in performance.
    Why would it give different performance?
    Unless you are running a performance car that is used to 99ron it will compress 99ron the same as it was 95ron.

Advertisement