Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a Dimmer Switch

Options
  • 03-08-2007 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all.
    I'm new here, so sorry if I've missed someone asking the same question, but I'm trying to fit a dimmer switch and am not quite sure what to do.
    There are two brown wires connecting to the exisiting light switch; does it matter which way around these are when connecting them to the dimmer?
    There doesn't seem to be any noticable difference between the two brown wires, so I thought it better to be safe than sorry.
    Thanks everyone.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Do you have a second light switch for this light at a different location? If so, this switch is wired in two-way mode, and this (as far as I know) can't be dimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sorry, I'm incorrect.
    Ignore the above. You need to connect the dimmer to the two lives (with the electrical system disconnected of course) and that should be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ClaretBen wrote:
    Hi all.
    I'm new here, so sorry if I've missed someone asking the same question, but I'm trying to fit a dimmer switch and am not quite sure what to do.
    There are two brown wires connecting to the exisiting light switch; does it matter which way around these are when connecting them to the dimmer?
    There doesn't seem to be any noticable difference between the two brown wires, so I thought it better to be safe than sorry.
    Thanks everyone.:)
    I would have to say "it depends"
    the second wire could be:
    - the live to the fitting
    - a spur to another switch somewhere
    - the common for a 2 way switch

or are you saying that there are only 2 wires in total to the switch?
    if so one is input the other output and you need to get them the right way or you will need to turn your switch upside down (not always possible)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

GreeBo wrote:
    I would have to say "it depends"
    the second wire could be:
    - the live to the fitting
    - a spur to another switch somewhere
    - the common for a 2 way switch

or are you saying that there are only 2 wires in total to the switch?
    if so one is input the other output and you need to get them the right way or you will need to turn your switch upside down (not always possible)

It's a dimmer switch so orientation won't matter.

OP, If the light is controlled by only one switch (this means it's not 2-way'd) You have a live and a switch wire, these are the 2 wires you see.

Turn the power off at the MCB, make sure your light won't switch on just to make sure you have the right MCB ;).

Put one wire in each terminal on the dimmer and make sure your connections are tight!

If there is any more than 2 wires at the switch come back and let us know. :)

If you're in any doubt contact an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I'd agree with Mr Magolia, one live, one switch....always safety first. IF your unsure contact an qualified electrician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's a dimmer switch so orientation won't matter.
    It will if its an electronic dimmer, you dont want to be pressing the "up" button to turn the light down...:rolleyes:
    Also, some dimmers specify an input/output, Id read the instructions to be sure.

Advertisement