Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Terminal Server 2003 + fileserver

• 03-08-2007 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having trouble finding documentation on a question I have regarding 2003 terminal services and 2003 file services.

I can understand that enabling terminal services on a Domain Controller is not something that would be considered desireable. However, is this only because you dont want users running applications on your DC or PDC ?

What if you have an installation windows server 2003 standard edition R2 with terminal services enabled and running happily but you also have six blank spaces for hard drives to be installed.

What issues , if any, would arise if you slotted 6 146gb scsi drives into those free slots in a seperate array and used the server as a form of File Storage for files that are out of useful life but still required.

Would the terminal server fall over ? Would the files corrupt and die ? If the terminal server receives extremely little usage (6 users, at most 1 or 2 connections during the day) would their sessions suffer any noticeable degredation ?

Is the enabling of file storage as simple as "switching" on the file server options in the add/remove components section on the server or is there some ms voodoo to be performed involving 2 chickens and a piece of gristle from a murder victims knee. ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

ps. if anyone can point me to documentation on this it would be most useful indeed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The windows 2000 / 2003 server license allows two remote desktop connections so you can manage the server remotely, extremely handy.

Drives are a separate issue.
    The adding of drives depends on which raid card you have. Generally you should use the latest software and drivers for the raid card , but read the notes in case there is a Gotcha. I've expanded arrays and mirrored from within windows so yes it can be done. As long as you aren't changing drive letters except just before a reboot most users /apps should be ok.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The windows 2000 / 2003 server license allows two remote desktop connections so you can manage the server remotely, extremely handy.

Drives are a separate issue.
    The adding of drives depends on which raid card you have. Generally you should use the latest software and drivers for the raid card , but read the notes in case there is a Gotcha. I've expanded arrays and mirrored from within windows so yes it can be done. As long as you aren't changing drive letters except just before a reboot most users /apps should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

hmmm, what I'm really looking for is documentation on running an instance of windows Terminal server on the same box as a fileserver (ie: the windows 2003 std edition installation has both the fileserver and terminal server components installed and configured).

the box is a ML 370 G3 with 2x xeon 3.6ghz cpu and 8gb ram with on board raid so adding the disks isnt a problem.

If th eserver was a domaoin controller I'd be very wary of allowing users to run thin clients from there and running applications like office etc. However this is a dedicated terminal server with only 5 users max so I was wondering if anyone has any documentation or links to info that shows why allowing files to be esrved (but no applications or server absed services other than filesharing) can/should or should not be done.

The plan:

currently: 2x36gb scsi 10k drives in raid 0 config running 2003 std r2 configured for terminal services

I would like to: add 4x 146gb scsi 15k in raid 5 (two more 146gb 15k drives would be added at a later date as the demand for space grows) and then add in the fileserver component of windows 2003 and run file shares from the same server while terminal services is running at the same time.

But thanks for the reply anyway :)

Advertisement